Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Campbell wins first SoCon Title in School history!

http://gocamels.com/sports/wrest/2016-17/releases/20170304yf0z21

What Cary Kolat has been able to do for this program is incredible. 

Their TOTAL enrollment is 6,500. When Kolat came on board, they couldn't even field a team. Now they beat ranked teams like App State, Chattanooga and solid teams like SIUE and others. 

They qualified 5 guys, with a possible 6 getting an at large bid. While they don't have anyone favored to AA, they have a few guys who can do it. That would be pretty incredible as well.

Kolat may very well be getting a call from Maryland/Penn etc. He clearly can build a program from scratch. Imagine if he had a big school's resources? 

I hope he doesn't leave for the sake of the Campbell's program, but I wouldn't blame him for progressing in his career. Incredible performance by him and his team.

Awesome job by all involved @Campbell. Cary knows how to run a program and can recruit with the best of them. I'm also curious what he could do at a bigger school (Pitt, VT, Maryland) with more potential.

Edited by gromit

Kolat is one of the best technicians in coaching. I know that's just one element of coaching, but I've always been very impressed with the way Kolat teaches wrestling. He is one of the few guys who shows you a technique and then shows you how to practice it both with and without a partner (when that makes sense).

Edited by wrestlingnerd