Sign in to follow this  
Ih8tdahawkiz

Potential Seeds 125

I am really curious where Suriano ends up here. I suspect he'll end up on the bottom half either 3 or 6. Here's my stab at the top 8:

1) Gilman

2) Cruz

3) Dance

4) Lambert

5) Lizak

6) Suriano

7) Rodriguez

8) Piccininni

**Edited due to head to head win v. Dance despite loss to lizak

Edited by Ih8tdahawkiz

Why either 3 or 6? What happened to 4 and 5? I'm not necessarily disagreeing (still haven't thought about this much), just don't understand that comment.

I think the logic is that if they are going to drop him, then DROP him. 

If Suriano is at 90-100% for the NCAA's and you are wrestling fan first, then you want to see him opposite of Gilman's bracket. If he is not that healthy and isn't ready to go at a competitive level then I think a 6 or 7 seed would be sufficient. The problem is the committee won't know that and even if they did the chances they get it right are slim.

If only wrestling coaches who follow the sport closely are doing the seeding, I could get on board with that sentiment. Everyone knows Suriano was a pretty clear #2. But the reality is not everyone doing the seeding will even know who Suriano is. I think the seeding committee will use their system first and foremost and with the losses Suriano has as a result of his injury as well as the great season he had prior, I could easily see him 4 or 5 or 6. I think 3 is out of the question given the number of losses and his B1G DNP.

I am really curious where Suriano ends up here. I suspect he'll end up on the bottom half either 3 or 6. Here's my stab at the top 8:

1) Gilman

2) Dance

3) Cruz

4) Lambert

5) Lizak

6) Suriano

7) Rodriguez

8) Piccininni

Why would Piccininni be seeded below a guy he just beat at the Big 12 tournament? Those guys should probably be reversed.

There won't be any effort to put Suriano on the other side from Gilman.  There is no example of anything like that ever happening.  He will either be seeded according to his wins/losses or he will somehow get the last 3 losses ignored.  Either way that committee won't try to put him on a certain side of the bracket.

Edited by boconnell

I think that's a definite possibility too. I guess if you weigh the Piccininni and Thornton inj def losses the same as if he wrestled and lost, he probably still has a top 8 resume doesn't he? I have no dog in this fight, I just find it interesting since you could justify such a wide ranging landing spot for him

It's literally part of their job to know who he is. If someone doing the seeding doesn't know who he is (or any qualifier for that matter) they should be replaced

But the reality is not everyone doing the seeding will even know who Suriano is. 

It's literally part of their job to know who he is. If someone doing the seeding doesn't know who he is (or any qualifier for that matter) they should be replaced

An administrator will know Suriano only by his record, school, etc. Yes, they'll know he wrestles at 125 for PSU. That's about it.They won't have the appreciation for what he's done of the posters on this forum who spend every week of the season following results. No, it is not their job to follow every qualifier's season closely. They just need to look at cold hard facts on paper and seed per the criteria to do their jobs. They're not going to do Suriano or anyone a solid in appreciation for who he was before injury.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I can't see him coming in unseeded.  That seems crazy to me.  His record is very strong.  It is a strange situation, though, given how late in the season the injury happened.  Lets just hope he's alright.

Kindig was very similar and unseeded his senior year.

Have they seeded any at large guys since the current system started?  If so who was the highest seed for an at large?

An administrator will know Suriano only by his record, school, etc. Yes, they'll know he wrestles at 125 for PSU. That's about it.They won't have the appreciation for what he's done of the posters on this forum who spend every week of the season following results. No, it is not their job to follow every qualifier's season closely. They just need to look at cold hard facts on paper and seed per the criteria to do their jobs. They're not going to do Suriano or anyone a solid in appreciation for who he was before injury.

Cool. That's different than not knowing who he is

That would not be crazy for siriano to be unseeded 20 14 or 15 Delgado returning champ was banged up came in unseeded he also wrestled and placed fourth in the big Ten's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by silver

Robert Hamlin (Lehigh) 2013 NCAA At-large selection at 184 was the 3 seed.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2013-03-13/brackets-and-large-picks-released

But weren't they still counting past accomplishments in 2013?  I don't think this current system of seeding goes back that far.

Edited by boconnell