Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Wrestlers/Coaches Reading Posts

I hope coaches and wrestlers don't go on this forum. Bottom line is that most here know nothing about wrestling and are fans. Being a fan is terrific but our opinions are ridiculous! The potential exists that a young and developing mind may take to heart some of the stupidity posted on this forum.

Gimp is the exception.

I have told my kid for years to stay off the forums. I find them entertaining from a certain perspective and they can be a good way to get basic information, like scheduled start times, links for brackets, channel an even is carried on , etc. but for the most part the internet is a cesspool.

I almost never mention a high school wrestler by name unless it is to accentuate something positive and immediately get away from any conversation which can turn negative in any way. I've dropped out many times (even when I know I'm right) without retort because of that philosophy. I don't think high school kids should be ranked and other than general conversations of the highest level kids (all positive of course) nobody should be talking about them. 

Local forums can be the worst. 

Now college is a different story since they are all adults and every kid is a great wrestler or they would not be there in the first place. Now granted some are at the pinnacle and others are still standing in the foothills. 

I have told my kid for years to stay off the forums. I find them entertaining from a certain perspective and they can be a good way to get basic information, like scheduled start times, links for brackets, channel an even is carried on , etc. but for the most part the internet is a cesspool.

I almost never mention a high school wrestler by name unless it is to accentuate something positive and immediately get away from any conversation which can turn negative in any way. I've dropped out many times (even when I know I'm right) without retort because of that philosophy. I don't think high school kids should be ranked and other than general conversations of the highest level kids (all positive of course) nobody should be talking about them.

Local forums can be the worst.

Now college is a different story since they are all adults and every kid is a great wrestler or they would not be there in the first place. Now granted some are at the pinnacle and others are still standing in the foothills.

Agree that it is pathetic when adults go on a forum to trash a high school kid. With that said, twitter/instagram are much worse than this forum and they are all on those platforms. You can't avoid "haters" once you reach any level of notoriety or success in any field. It just goes with the territory.

Some of you people take wrestling or life way to seriously and try to live your lives by all of these inspirational quotes or sayings. There is nothing wrong with listening to what the haters, outsiders, or even your competition is saying as long as you can put it aside when it matters. If nobody is talking bad about you then you probably arent doing a whole lot.

Now do people take it too far? Of course, but you cant expect all of the glory that comes with winning a national title if you cant take some of the heat when you're not getting it done. 

If you so stupid as to rely on what we post online you deserve whatever results from it.

Taking all this seriously is as dumb as elected officials posting on twitter.

If you so stupid…. this really made the post.

There's like 20 people that post here... they probably consider everyone the same as the crazy old guy in the stands eho screams "Just get up!" when they're on bottom

I imagine most posters as older white women named Deb, Barb or Cheryl who like to constantly yell "Make em wrestle Ref!"

Funny+Angry+Old+Woman_2.jpg

I've been told by one coach that he does read the various wrestling fora as a way of keeping a finger on the pulse of what the fans are thinking; he also has a good chuckle at some of the stuff written.

This is what i've thought and have seen from a small sample size of the few coaches I know. There is nothing wrong with keeping an eye on what your competition or fan base is thinking as long as you can put it aside when it comes time to get down to business. Sometimes it's just a handful of homers which can be brushes aside, but if you see something starting to gain steam it helps to get out in front of it. 

There's. no question coaches read the forum. Do you guys not recall the VT incident during last year's NCAAs when Dresser reached out to a certain poster because of what had been written on this forum? I still think that was ridiculous. Both athletes and coaches read the forum regularly.

There's. no question coaches read the forum. Do you guys not recall the VT incident during last year's NCAAs when Dresser reached out to a certain poster because of what had been written on this forum? I still think that was ridiculous. Both athletes and coaches read the forum regularly.

I doubt too many coaches read them regularly though. I expect this was more of a situation where somebody else read the forum and told him.

It's not like coaches have a lot of in season free time.

I really hope the Brands brothers read these forums. I can only imagine the amount of yelling, staring at the screen in an intimidating manner, pacing and semi-swearing that goes on if they do.

Some of you people take wrestling or life way to seriously and try to live your lives by all of these inspirational quotes or sayings. There is nothing wrong with listening to what the haters, outsiders, or even your competition is saying as long as you can put it aside when it matters. If nobody is talking bad about you then you probably arent doing a whole lot.

Now do people take it too far? Of course, but you cant expect all of the glory that comes with winning a national title if you cant take some of the heat when you're not getting it done. 

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA  - Struck me funny!!

I also hope conductors and marching band musicians don't read the comments section of FloMarching, particularly the woodwind players. Competitive marching fans don't really know anything about large group visual-choreographed instrumentation (that's LGVCI to you), and their opinions about on-field formations and color guard flag interpretations are hurting the sport. I hope aspiring young drum majors or band conductors are not dissuaded by the cesspool that is marching band discussion on the internet.

I also hope conductors and marching band musicians don't read the comments section of FloMarching, particularly the woodwind players. Competitive marching fans don't really know anything about large group visual-choreographed instrumentation (that's LGVCI to you), and their opinions about on-field formations and color guard flag interpretations are hurting the sport. I hope aspiring young drum majors or band conductors are not dissuaded by the cesspool that is marching band discussion on the internet.

I can't believe flomarching is a real thing.  I thought you were joking about it.  

Edited by Billyhoyle