Sign in to follow this  
silver-medal

Iowa Redshirting Marinelli

Lots of good insights offered.  But lets look forward.  NCAA's are a four team race and Iowa is in it.  Gilman--champ.  Clark will probably have to beat Nato to win it but I'd say odds of him doing it are 35-40%.  Kemmerer has a solid shot to make the finals.  Brooks should be a high placer.  Sorenson's finish will depend on seed.  

Buckeyes won NCAA's without Hunter Stieber.  I just think you wrestle Marinelli if you think he'll place.  

Iowa deprived themselves of points.  I don't think it was smart.  

And, for the record, I think Tom Brands is a fine coach.  

Edited by silver-medal

Well, Iowa has had some bad breaks this year with the injury to Stoll, and Clark. Even though Clark is still battling mightily.

I think Brand's decision to keep Marinelli, in redshirt will pay off with Alex getting an easier path to an AA next year.

Additionally, I think Iowa will need him in the line up since they will be losing Gilman, Clark, Meyers, and Brooks. I know they have signed Spencer Lee, and Gavin Teasdale but I don't know if they will be ready to jump into the line up. I think Spencer will need a little more time to grow.

Lots of good insights offered.  But lets look forward.  NCAA's are a four team race and Iowa is in it.  Gilman--champ.  Clark will probably have to beat Nato to win it but I'd say odds of him doing it are 35-40%.  Kemmerer has a solid shot to make the finals.  Brooks should be a high placer.  Sorenson's finish will depend on seed.  

Buckeyes won NCAA's without Hunter Stieber.  I just think you wrestle Marinelli if you think he'll place.  

Iowa deprived themselves of points.  I don't think it was smart.  

And, for the record, I think Tom Brands is a fine coach.  

Iowa is not in it.  I wouldn't take them with 20-1 odds even with marinelli.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

They're not in it but I would take those odds all day.

I wouldn't.  There aren't many cinderella stories in the team race at the NCAA tournament. Not sure if I can think of one where a team came in expected to finish fourth and left first.  Would you take Virginia Tech to win the team race if I gave you 100-1 odds? I wouldn't, just like I wouldn't take Iowa with 20-1 odds.  I don't see a path for them to beat all three teams ahead of them. 

I wouldn't.  There aren't many cinderella stories in the team race at the NCAA tournament. Not sure if I can think of one where a team came in expected to finish fourth and left first.  Would you take Virginia Tech to win the team race if I gave you 100-1 odds? I wouldn't, just like I wouldn't take Iowa with 20-1 odds.  I don't see a path for them to beat all three teams ahead of them. 

100-1, I'd have to think about it for VT. Those are ridiculously good odds.

20-1, I'd definitely take for Iowa. 

Just because you don't see a path doesn't mean the odds aren't good. It's tautological. The path is hard to see, that's why the odds are so good. You never bet on those kinds of odds because you think whoever you're betting on will actually win. You're betting because you want to buy very cheap risk.

Here's a path: Gilman 1, Clark 1, Sorensen 1 or 2, Kemmerer 2, Meyer 4+, Brooks 2 or 3 and the rest of the guys chip in. Is that impossible? No. Improbable? Sure. But would you bet $10 to make 20x that? $100? I'd probably go up to $1k.

We all know you are good for $1000 on any bet mentioned on themat. Always pushing the action lol. There are NO friendly bets.

Posters don't seem to understand the concept of odds, so I have to try. How else do you get an edge in life. Against MSU158. Especially when pSU is involved, I'm generally good for $10k.

Looking at Iowa now....and the fact they're one of four teams with some shot to win the whole thing...I think Brands should have used Marinelli at 165.  Cael pulled Hall.  Guarantee Ryan would have used him if he were at Ohio State.  Iowa has five great wrestlers with a shot to be finalists then no one to score but Meyer.  If they put three in finals and have two more in top six, how do they justify not using Marinelli?  Tom Brands has always seemed like a very good coach but this seems like a big mistake.  

...and where would Marinelli realistically place? 

I haven't done my brackets yet, but my prebracket Iowa predictions are:

125:  Gilman - 1st

133:  Clark - 1st

141:  Carton - 0-2

149:  Sorensen - 3rd

157:  Kemerer - 3rd

165:  Gunther - 0-2

174:  Meyer - R12

184:  Brooks - 3rd

197:  Wilcke - 0-2

Interesting...

Who do you see beating Kemerer before the Finals?

Overall, probably realistic and a tad conservative, although I see Tomasello winning despite my hope for Clark.   

Interesting...

Who do you see beating Kemerer before the Finals?

Overall, probably realistic and a tad conservative, although I see Tomasello winning despite my hope for Clark.

Palacio, though the timing of 1/4s plays to his advantage.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Oh, it's the new Tom Brands.

Thanks for the update.

It's the Tom Brands that realizes he has to be very careful and appear to be doing well while being satisfied pushing for Third Place at best. At that the competition is getting better and most likely next year even Arizona State finishes ahead of Iowa.

Brands better start encouraging Zalesky to retire so he has a place to go after Iowa dismisses him.