Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Can Martin beat Nickal again?

As I expected and noted on another thread, Martin is on Nickal's side and likely to meet him in the semis.

These two have wrestled so much with such varying results that it's anyone's guess what'll happen this time. Despite their history, or maybe because of it, it is one of the matches I'm most looking forward to seeing.

Both guys' coaches are elite coaches from top teams with a full complement of workout partners to throw at their guy in preparation for this critical match that may determine the team champ. Nickal has a wild style that apparently only Martin can neutralize (and likely Dean, though we may never get to see them meet in folkstyle), and there's something about Nickal that makes the best of Martin come out in March.

My brain says Nickal but my heart and gut say Martin, so I'm going with Martin for the honor of getting his world destroyed in the finals.

Bad draw but you do what you gotta do. He was 0-3 against Nickal before the finals and Got pinned at big tens before he finally beat him. Seems like a gamer and that mixed with the fact Brooks hasn't put together great NCAA tournaments I think can help Myles but we shall see.

no I'd say

Kyle Shoop (LHU) 38-15 &/or Nick Barber (EMU) 16-12

got the worst possible draw

Haha. I meant given his wins/losses

Not complaining. He can beat everyone but Gabe at his best, but he realistically could not AA

I'm picking him to AA for sure. Honestly wouldn't be shocked if he beat Brooks.

no I'd say

Kyle Shoop (LHU) 38-15 &/or Nick Barber (EMU) 16-12

got the worst possible draw

You must know more about Jordan Laster than most of us.

Edit: Should Zain be scared? Is this Jordan Laster's year?

Edited by bigtenfan

I think Martin can beat Nickle. I think Martin matches up well against Nickle, as well as he might also be in Nickle's head a little. However, I think Brooks matches up well against Martin, and I think there is no doubt that he's in Martin's head. It's going to be very interesting.

No... every single HWT received the worst possible draw... it all ends with Snyder...

Secondly, everyone at 157 received the 2nd worst possible draw... it all ends with Nolf...

All other weight classes have "someone" to keep it close.  One could argue that Medbery kept it close with Snyder, but when is the last time anyone kept it close with Snyder... more than once?  That guy adjusts, readjusts, re re readjusts... and the takedown clinic ensues.

Martin wasn't far off in his first matchup with Brooks.

Martin got first takedown and lost 5-3 on a 3rd period takedown

It is a winnable match, but Brooks dominated him in Big10s

Interesting to note Martin's track record on avenging Big10 finals losses...

Martin got first takedown and lost 5-3 on a 3rd period takedown

It is a winnable match, but Brooks dominated him in Big10s

Interesting to note Martin's track record on avenging Big10 finals losses...

That one tournament of 2016 being a "track record"?

There's no doubt Martin can beat Nickal (again).  Having done THAT twice, has established a "track record"...

Not only did Martin wrestle Brooks well the first time and got caught on a 6 point move at big 10's forcing Martin to wrestle offensively against an elite defensive wrestler in Brooks.... I also like seeing Brooks other loss other than Nickal came from Nate Jackson from Indiana... Very similar style of wrestler as Martin.

Edited by Aviator12