Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Worst seed jobs

Huge Palacio fan here but not counting last year's accomplishments he's 5 and 0 at 157 and won his conference. Was that enough to warrant a 7 seed?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

While I agree, his road isn't easy. He'll have Murphy in R2 and then Kemmerer. If he gets through all that, he'll probably get Lavallee. Yes, his seed was generous but he's got a tough road. 

While I agree, his road isn't easy. He'll have Murphy in R2 and then Kemmerer. If he gets through all that, he'll probably get Lavallee. Yes, his seed was generous but he's got a tough road. 

It's nationals.  Does anyone have an easy road?  Every draw has a potential stumbling block.

It's nationals.  Does anyone have an easy road?  Every draw has a potential stumbling block.

Murphy is a damn good 10 seed and if he beats him, he gets the #2 guy who's only lost to a freak. For a 7 seed, that's a pretty tough road imo. 

Bo--let's look at the likely quarter matchups.

Nate v Richards

Micic v Clark

Brock v Forys

Montoya v Gross

I don't know a lot about Forys but if you swapped his spot with Richards, the draws would look a lot more even.  Having said that, we all know that brackets often play out differently than expected.  

I think that Richards B10 (losing to Mckee, especially) hurt his seed.

There are always strange seedigns somewhere but once in a while something really stands out. For me this time it is 125. 

Rodriguez and Piccininni met in the finals of the Big 12 tournament and have records of 23-2 and 22-6 yet got the 9th and 9th seed respectively. They will meet int he second round which is puzzling in and of it self but they were seeded lower than Lizak and Russell. Now Russell I can kind of get but still to have them 8th and 9th is just unjust.  

Bo--let's look at the likely quarter matchups.

Nate v Richards

Micic v Clark

Brock v Forys

Montoya v Gross

I don't know a lot about Forys but if you swapped his spot with Richards, the draws would look a lot more even.  Having said that, we all know that brackets often play out differently than expected.  

I'd be fine flipping them but...

Forys 19-1 wins over Parker and Hall, loss to Brock

Richards 25-4 win over McKee, lost 2 of 3 to Micic.  Lost to Montoya and Tomasello.  

Like I said, you could flip those without any complaint from Forys, but that is definitely no screw job.  And #9 Parker might beat Richards and make the whole thing moot.  

There are always strange seedigns somewhere but once in a while something really stands out. For me this time it is 125. 

Rodriguez and Piccininni met in the finals of the Big 12 tournament and have records of 23-2 and 22-6 yet got the 9th and 9th seed respectively. They will meet int he second round which is puzzling in and of it self but they were seeded lower than Lizak and Russell. Now Russell I can kind of get but still to have them 8th and 9th is just unjust.  

Picc got beat by Lizak.  While the committee has shown a willingness to ignore skipping the most important tournament of the season (conference), they will not ignore early or mid season losses.  Picc had a mediocre Scuffle and it drags him down.  He beat Rodriguez so instead of that helping him it dragged down Rodriguez.  

The same thing happened last year when Collica was on fire going into NCAAs and was the 11 seed because he wrestled the scuffle fresh off of injury and lost 2 matches.  

The bottom line is if you lose matches, those matches might hurt you in seeding, no matter what you do later.  I think it's ultimately fair but occasionally unfortunate.  

EIWA 157 was watered down after Kutler didn't weigh in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While true that Kutler was a no-show - Palacio faced Parsons in the EIWA finals, who is no slouch either (he is the 12 seed at NCAA's), and in fact rated higher than Kutler per WrestleStat.  We very possibly could have seen the same finals match even if Kutler had been there.

Edited by redblades

Picc got beat by Lizak.  While the committee has shown a willingness to ignore skipping the most important tournament of the season (conference), they will not ignore early or mid season losses.  Picc had a mediocre Scuffle and it drags him down.  He beat Rodriguez so instead of that helping him it dragged down Rodriguez.  

The same thing happened last year when Collica was on fire going into NCAAs and was the 11 seed because he wrestled the scuffle fresh off of injury and lost 2 matches.  

The bottom line is if you lose matches, those matches might hurt you in seeding, no matter what you do later.  I think it's ultimately fair but occasionally unfortunate.  

I understand it but I don't think ti was well thought out.

This is yet another prime example of why I'm for true qualifying tournaments with your position being determined by the results in those tournaments. It will always split guys like this apart. 

Upper half of 133 - all the top 4 Big Ten guys in the same half including a NCAA Champ, a runner-up, and a 4th place finisher Tomasello #1 seed, Clark #4 Seed, Richards #8 seed, and Micic #5 seed and that is 4 of the top 6 ranked guys. I would like to understand what was the committee thinking?  Gross is having an awesome year and probably deserves the #2 seed, but he did lose to Montoya (Nebraska) at Midlands in the finals.

But come on, that top half could go 1-4 on any given year, and has wrestled each other all season in Vegas, Midlands, Duals, Big Ten Tourney, and these guys ducked no one.  They get each other in the quarters, and then those losers get each other in the round of 8 wrestleback. 

Those guys earned it, and it's like the Big Ten's did not matter. I would have liked to have seen at least one of those guys if not 2 (+ move Montoya to that side), to balance it out.  They should have also put Montoya in the other half of the semi-final bracket against Kaid Brock in the quarters. Would have liked to see Gross go through at least 2 top 5 Big Ten guys. He and Micic would have been a good match.  

Had similar thoughts at 141 as well with most of the big 10 guys being seeded all in the upper half of the bracket although this was one of the weakest classes in the conference so not directly comparable.  Would've made things more interesting to see them spread out a little more considering they spend all season wrestling each other already.

I think we should all congratulate the seeding committee. usually by this time there are multiple threads for each weight class with incredible meltdowns over any number of seeding atrocities. pretty tame this year. 

Yep.  Best seeding I've seen and multiple instances where it looks like common sense reigned supreme.  

A minor one: I didn't quite understand how Jackson of IU was #6 in the NCAA's qualification standard coaches' panel rankings, then beats #11, loses to #3, and defaults to #4 and #11--dropping him down to a 9-seed. I could see a 7 since Martin was behind him and knocks off #2 and #4, but he's got a win over Brooks and his only losses are to Brooks and Nickal. What happened with the way he was viewed compared to Zavatsky and Dechow between a week ago and now other than those defaults? I'm guessing he's not ecstatic at the prospect of Dechow second round and then Dean instead of Nickal or Brooks in the quarters as he might have hoped.

A minor one: I didn't quite understand how Jackson of IU was #6 in the NCAA's qualification standard coaches' panel rankings, then beats #11, loses to #3, and defaults to #4 and #11--dropping him down to a 9-seed. I could see a 7 since Martin was behind him and knocks off #2 and #4, but he's got a win over Brooks and his only losses are to Brooks and Nickal. What happened with the way he was viewed compared to Zavatsky and Dechow between a week ago and now other than those defaults? I'm guessing he's not ecstatic at the prospect of Dechow second round and then Dean instead of Nickal or Brooks in the quarters as he might have hoped.

He had a regular season loss to dudley as well if I'm not mistaken.

I agree that the seedings look like they made sense up and down the 10 weight classes.  The few complaints I see in this thread are mostly looking at a match or two for their argument and not taking in the entire body of work over the season.

Well done seeding committee!  

Yes, but losing to unseeded Ronnie Perry at EWLs really hurt him. I think they place a big emphasis on conference finish. Oddly, Perry gets stuck with the #2 seed so it was a bad draw for the EWL all around!

that is just cruel

I hate 33, but I knew it would shake out that way.  The big ten kids get hosed because they beat up on each other.  Throw Gross or Brock  in the big ten schedule I'm guessing each takes at least one additional loss.  That's not a knock on either, both are tough, just 33 in the big ten was brutal this year. I mean freaking Zane Richards is 8 seed, the returning finalist at the same weight. That first period for Brock against Clark was huge. Can't argue Jordan over Mayes, though I think Jordan beats him, but same thing happened here with Zain, Sorenson and Jordan. All in all the seeding looked better than some of the previous debacles

He had a regular season loss to dudley as well if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, that's right. I said he lost to Brooks and Nickal, but he lost twice to Brooks and once to Dudley, not Nickal.

I actually figured out why they slid Jackson down. It's because Martin lost early in the year to Zavatsky and Dechow. So when they wanted to slot Martin ahead of Dudley and Jackson because of his two big wins, they took Zavatsky and Dechow upward with him and slid Dudley and Martin down rather than having Martin leapfrog both Zavatsky and Dechow.

I hate 33, but I knew it would shake out that way.  The big ten kids get hosed because they beat up on each other.  Throw Gross or Brock  in the big ten schedule I'm guessing each takes at least one additional loss.  That's not a knock on either, both are tough, just 33 in the big ten was brutal this year. I mean freaking Zane Richards is 8 seed, the returning finalist at the same weight. That first period for Brock against Clark was huge. Can't argue Jordan over Mayes, though I think Jordan beats him, but same thing happened here with Zain, Sorenson and Jordan. All in all the seeding looked better than some of the previous debacles

There are plenty of tough brackets and seed/draw issues, its the NCAA tournament - its supposed to be tough.  But to go the opposite throw NaTo in the B12 schedule and he might have 3 losses.  Brock's 2 losses are to Gross, both in matches where if he doesn't chose bottom (not JS approach in season) perhaps wins and one where he had a called take down waved off.  Gross's one lose was SV.  Gross is pretty tough I don't think there are any easy sides to the brackets.  But then look at 125, JRod would've had only one loss and probably got the 3 seed if he hadn't lost in SV to Picc in B12 final.  And even then I don't see how a guy who doesn't wrestle the tourney gets a higher seed, and how seeded over Lambert and the Lizard.  But because of it JRod (with only 2 loses) gets the 9 seed with potentially facing Picc all over again in the 2nds match.  I'm sure neither of them were thrilled with that seeding outcome and would probably rather be an 11 seed than 8 or 9.  It's just plain tough.