Sign in to follow this  
reco87

What seeded wrestler has the worst first round draw

For 125 I'd have to say Cruz

133 if Clark is not 100% Schram could be trouble (doubt it though)

141 has a couple I'd hate to be Gasca, also Pletcher and Profaci will be close, and is bold but Mason Smith over Ashnault (probably upset of the tourney

149 Max Thomsen vs Cimato, If Zac Hall wrestles like he did this past weekend it could be bad for Gardner

157 Glass has a tough one

165 not sure if I see one here I'm sure there's one I'm missing 

174 Realbuto may have another tough first round Skatzka gave BoJo a pretty good match. I'm gonna go bold again and say Epperly has a tough one in Nick Reenan

184 If I had to choose one it would be Macchiavello and Heino 

197 Studebaker has a tough one with Harner

Hwy Not sure here. 

I disagree about Cruz' draw being bad. I think it's a great draw. Let's be realistic... given Suriano's uncertainty, Cruz could have fallen anywhere between #2 through #6.

His quad has fewer troublesome opponents than the other three.  Here are his other scenarios:

#1 Quad placement as a #7 or #8 seed

(this is moot, since he would not have been seeded #8/#9)

Assume he got #2 in the bottom Quad (as per Flo's prediction)

Winner of Townsell/McGhee;
2x AA Youtsey or #15 Templeman
#10 Mueller or #7 Russell (with whom he is 4-0, but the scores were 2-1, 4-2 SV2, 3-1 SV1, and 6-3 TB1)
*** that's a pretty rough mine field.

As the #3 seed in #3 Quad (assume Suriano fell to 4/5)

US Akins
#14 Rodriguez;
winner of #11 Terao or #6 Lizak (lost 8-0 at Scuffle)

As the #6 seed in #3 Quad (assume Suriano is still #3)

US Moody
#11 Terao;
#3 Suriano (if healthy, a significant challenge)

Whereas, his #4 gives him:

2x AA Peters, who at 10-7 has not been his former self. He appeared to have a serious case of HEW as I watched him at the Scuffle (and the N IA fans I sat by agreed).
#13 Laney
#5 Lambert (with whom he is 1-1 on his career)

Again, all things considered, I think he got a nice placement.  Of the scenarios given above, it appears to be his cleanest shot to the SF in a tough weight class.  But then again, it's nationals, aren't all the weights tough?  (157 being the exception)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

I disagree about Cruz' draw being bad. I think it's a great draw. Let's be realistic... given Suriano's uncertainty, Cruz could have fallen anywhere between #2 through #6.

His quad has fewer troublesome opponents than the other three. Here are his other scenarios:

#1 Quad placement as a #7 or #8 seed

(this is moot, since he would not have been seeded #8/#9)

Assume he got #2 in the bottom Quad (as per Flo's prediction)

Winner of Townsell/McGhee;

2x AA Youtsey or #15 Templeman

#10 Mueller or #7 Russell (with whom he is 4-0, but the scores were 2-1, 4-2 SV2, 3-1 SV1, and 6-3 TB1)

*** that's a pretty rough mine field.

As the #3 seed in #3 Quad (assume Suriano fell to 4/5)

US Akins

#14 Rodriguez;

winner of #11 Terao or #6 Lizak (lost 8-0 at Scuffle)

As the #6 seed in #3 Quad (assume Suriano is still #3)

US Moody

#11 Terao;

#3 Suriano (if healthy, a significant challenge)

Whereas, his #4 gives him:

2x AA Peters, who at 10-7 has not been his former self. He appeared to have a serious case of HEW as I watched him at the Scuffle (and the N IA fans I sat by agreed).

#13 Laney

#5 Lambert (with whom he is 1-1 on his career)

Again, all things considered, I think he got a nice placement. Of the scenarios given above, it appears to be his cleanest shot to the SF in a tough weight class. But then again, it's nationals, aren't all the weights tough? (157 being the exception)

The question is first round draw, not draw in general.

Draw implies the bracket placement. If that was the intent of the OP, then it would have been better phrased as "first round opponent".

That being said, at 10-7 coming in, Peters is a mere shell of his former self. Saw it with my own eyes at the Scuffle and watching a selection of his other bouts online.

Draw implies the bracket placement. If that was the intent of the OP, then it would have been better phrased as "first round opponent".

That being said, at 10-7 coming in, Peters is a mere shell of his former self. Saw it with my own eyes at the Scuffle and watching a selection of his other bouts online.

Actually the name of the thread is what seeded wrestler has the worst first round draw. Since all first round matches are 16 seeded wrestlers followed by a random draw, the OP was spot on

Edited by rcoates1

Actually the name of the thread is what seeded wrestler has the worst first round draw. Since all first round matches are 16 seeded wrestlers followed by a random draw, the OP was spot on

Agreed. IU alum misread/misinterpreted. First round draw means first round opponent.

And I too was going to mention Peters as a scary first-round opponent. He showed signs of life at MACs. With 2 more weeks to progress, I would say he would be probably the last guy of the 17 unseeded guys I would have chosen my kid to face first round, for the simple fact that there's a chance he'll resemble his 2-time AA self and no other non-seed most likely has that in them.

The MAC's not my conference, so not to get stuck there, but Akins at 19-5 looked very impressive this past weekend too. If he were facing someone other than Suriano, I'd suggest he's a "bad" first rounder.

Agreed. IU alum misread/misinterpreted. First round draw means first round opponent.

And I too was going to mention Peters as a scary first-round opponent. He showed signs of life at MACs. With 2 more weeks to progress, I would say he would be probably the last guy of the 17 unseeded guys I would have chosen my kid to face first round, for the simple fact that there's a chance he'll resemble his 2-time AA self and no other non-seed most likely has that in them.

The MAC's not my conference, so not to get stuck there, but Akins at 19-5 looked very impressive this past weekend too. If he were facing someone other than Suriano, I'd suggest he's a "bad" first rounder.

He still could be a bad first rounder if that ankle isn't any better than it was.  I agree with Peters, that is one tough kid.  Has he been having trouble with his shoulder this year or his knee?

People keep mentioning Barlow McGee but he's quite frankly been terrible this year.  He didn't even start for a good chunk of it and I'm surprised he actually qualified.  Obviously he's a proven solid wrestler but hasn't shown that this year.  Wonder if it's an injury or weight cut...