Sign in to follow this  
Maher103

Spencer Lee loses on controversial td

The mentality that injuries don't matter and that there should be "no excuses" is just stupid. We have seen injuries impact many wrestlers over the years (Delgado, Mcdonough, Letters, Pucillo, etc). Injuries do matter, and if in fact Spencer Lee wrestled the state finals with a torn ACL, he clearly wrestled a great match. This seems to be his second major injury in two years though...Very concerning for a guy who is a 2020 contender.

A valid opinion. So is the statement "a win is a win" and DeSanto deserves all the credit in the world for going after Lee. No one is "entitled" to a free win and your physical condition is a factor. This is why we wrestle the matches and play the games. Staying healthy and injury free is part of the game. Edited by BigTenFanboy

A valid opinion. So is the statement "a win is a win" and DeSanto deserves all the credit in the world for going after Lee. No one is "entitled" to a free win and your physical condition is a factor. This is why we wrestle the matches and play the games. Staying healthy and injury free is part of the game.

You don't take anything away from the kid who won, since injuries are a part of the sport.  Still, if Lee wrestled with a torn ACL, that 2nd place finish is just as impressive as his 3 first place finishes (if not more so).  

Agree. Lee's smaller size will be an issue in college.

Lee didn't look like his normal self tonite, but ... BUT... and not that you are saying otherwise, but it important to note that HE is the one that decided to wrestle tonite, leg wrapped or not. He also accepted an invite to wrestle Daton Fix at Dapper Dan, so how bad could his leg have really been?

Lastly, we all need to give DeSanto credit here. 53-0 and Austin took it to Lee from the start and dominated the 3rd period.

I think you were responding to me and somebody else at the same time. I gave DeSanto credit now, a thumbs up to a bright future, and didn't mention the injury. :) 

I think you were responding to me and somebody else at the same time. I gave DeSanto credit now, a thumbs up to a bright future, and didn't mention the injury. :)

Yes, I was, sgallan. That is why I made the disclaimer 'not that you are saying otherwise'. I totally agree with your comments.

Edited by TBar1977

Agree. Lee's smaller size will be an issue in college.

Lee didn't look like his normal self tonite, but ... BUT... and not that you are saying otherwise, but it important to note that HE is the one that decided to wrestle tonite, leg wrapped or not. He also accepted an invite to wrestle Daton Fix at Dapper Dan, so how bad could his leg have really been?

Lastly, we all need to give DeSanto credit here. 53-0 and Austin took it to Lee from the start and dominated the 3rd period.

Lee's smaller size will not be an issue in college. This has been said about many, many wrestlers who ended up just fine - 4 years ago Tomasello was never going to be big enough for 125 and now he is at 133. Lee will redshirt - get bigger and be fine at 125 in 2018. 

Lee's smaller size will not be an issue in college. This has been said about many, many wrestlers who ended up just fine - 4 years ago Tomasello was never going to be big enough for 125 and now he is at 133. Lee will redshirt - get bigger and be fine at 125 in 2018. 

Very true.  It's called a weight room.  He probably needs another 5 to 10 pounds of muscle.  He could probably be ready for next year without the RS.  

There are 2 different versions of the match, one from tv with clock running superimposed on the screen, and another with the matside clock in the background. The tv version shows 1 second on the clock when last td was scored, while the matside clock was at 0 before the roll at the end was completed. Controversial no doubt. He'll get over it, eerie how similar to Gable-Owings, but Spencer's career is actually just beginning.

The mentality that injuries don't matter and that there should be "no excuses" is just stupid. We have seen injuries impact many wrestlers over the years (Delgado, Mcdonough, Letters, Pucillo, etc). Injuries do matter, and if in fact Spencer Lee wrestled the state finals with a torn ACL, he clearly wrestled a great match. This seems to be his second major injury in two years though...Very concerning for a guy who is a 2020 contender.

But at the same time he choose to step on that mat under those conditions, so in the end he is willing to accept the results that may come from that decision. Sure it may not mean a 100% Lee, but what we got was due to his choice.

By the way I felt time ran out on the mat side score clock before the score.

Edited by MadMardigain

It seemed like Lee got 2-3 marginal calls before the second and third takedowns which were correct,

Lee's semifinal was far from dominant.

Zach Rey wrestled his entire senior year with a torn ACL. Yeah it affected him, but it certainly would not have turned a tech fall win into a loss.

DeSanto was just destroying people the last month (I am sure longer) Think of an enraged Chimpanzee..

We could tell on Friday that Spencer was not right with his one leg.  Didn't know it was an ACL until the article on PennLive, which was after the final last night.  Gutsy performance by Spencer and DeSanto too.  DeSanto is a gamer and a favorite.  He won't back down to anybody because he's also that good.

I have watched the match several times now on my 60 inch Plasma TV. I am not a doctor, but I have seen about 10 totally blown ACL injuries just with my buddies and the knee blows up and is not really useable when that happens. Lee might have a partial tear in my non medical totally layman imo. He uses the leg pretty extensively in the match, even using it to get an inside trip for his only TD in the match. I do agree it is not 100% though. Lee was not moving in the totally fluid way he normally moves.

The bigger issue is that DeSanto just crowds the crap out of him the whole match with the ties and elbow control. Lee never had any space at all. I have never seen anyone do that to Lee before. Also, Lee got the benefit of a pretty quick potentially dangerous call early in the third period. The refs were making quick p-d calls the entire tournament. That is not called there if that is a college match. Then there is the rest of the third period where DeSanto poured it on all over Lee. Lee was worn out. 

Lee will still be a stud in college, but the fact he keeps getting injured is a little worrisome. 

Edited by TBar1977

wow…I have spent a 1/2 hour watching frame by frame….the TV clock would indicate takedown with :01 remaining with DeSanto having both feet down and control off the roll.  The mat side clock would indicate no takedown with feet still in the air by DeSanto with the roll still in progress. Isn't the mat side clock official? It definitely was a great match - one in need of replay for sure. Great match. 

Very compelling match.  Because this is a PA state final,  it is the highest level.  And it involves one of the top recruits(maybe THE top) of the year.  Given that, is any one else surprised that both wrestlers were allowed to flee the the mat so blatantly?  

Edited by Plasmodium

Very compelling match.  Because this is a PA state final,  it is the highest level.  And it involves one of the top recruits(maybe THE top) of the year.  Given that, is any one else surprised that both wrestlers were allowed to flee the the mat so blatantly?  

I thought the same thing when watching DeSanto crawl for the OB in the first period.  Not used to watching HS... maybe NCAA is doing something right?

Edited by lu_alum