Sign in to follow this  
Maher103

Spencer Lee loses on controversial td

I have watched the match several times now on my 60 inch Plasma TV. I am not a doctor, but I have seen about 10 totally blown ACL injuries just with my buddies and the knee blows up and is not really useable when that happens. Lee might have a partial tear in my non medical totally layman imo. He uses the leg pretty extensively in the match, even using it to get an inside trip for his only TD in the match. I do agree it is not 100% though. Lee was not moving in the totally fluid way he normally moves.

The bigger issue is that DeSanto just crowds the crap out of him the whole match with the ties and elbow control. Lee never had any space at all. I have never seen anyone do that to Lee before. Also, Lee got the benefit of a pretty quick potentially dangerous call early in the third period. The refs were making quick p-d calls the entire tournament. That is not called there if that is a college match. Then there is the rest of the third period where DeSanto poured it on all over Lee. Lee was worn out. 

Lee will still be a stud in college, but the fact he keeps getting injured is a little worrisome.

DeSanto was also the beneficiary of a potentially dangerous when Lee was running a bar. He also literally crawled across the mat to get out of bounds. Lee clearly was dominant on top, and I wonder if he is second guessing himself for not choosing top in the 2nd, instead of deferring to DeSanto. Pretty good chance that Lee gets a turn or two, if he is given a full 2 minutes. With a bum knee, I would think neutral is not your friend. He knew DeSanto would go neutral.

Lee will use this as fuel. A little humble pie never hurt anyone. I just hate that the news of his knee came out after the fact.

wow…I have spent a 1/2 hour watching frame by frame….the TV clock would indicate takedown with :01 remaining with DeSanto having both feet down and control off the roll.  The mat side clock would indicate no takedown with feet still in the air by DeSanto with the roll still in progress. Isn't the mat side clock official? It definitely was a great match - one in need of replay for sure. Great match. 

I saw it exactly the same way.  The question is(and I'm not an official) can you give control and 2 before they finish that granby roll?  I don't think so and if so, it wasn't 2.  However, Lee is going to Iowa and wasn't it Gable who said you should never have a match close enough to be decided by the official?

Very compelling match.  Because this is a PA state final,  it is the highest level.  And it involves one of the top recruits(maybe THE top) of the year.  Given that, is any one else surprised that both wrestlers were allowed to flee the the mat so blatantly?  

Small mats. Plus the whole tournament was plagued by guys wrestling the edge way worse than you'd ever see allowed in college. Tons of quick p-d calls all tournament as well. 

Small mats. Plus the whole tournament was plagued by guys wrestling the edge way worse than you'd ever see allowed in college. Tons of quick p-d calls all tournament as well.

A few guys were disqualified as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lee's dad, true to form, was quick to let every know Spencer had a boo boo, almost immediately after the loss.  

I guess all those disrespectful face mushes and condescending/ arrogant interviews for the last 3 years were not enough to overcome it and win 4.

If he is cleared to compete the injury doesn't exist.

Desanto was better.

Lee's dad, true to form, was quick to let every know Spencer had a boo boo, almost immediately after the loss.

I guess all those disrespectful face mushes and condescending/ arrogant interviews for the last 3 years were not enough to overcome it and win 4.

Desanto was better.

I haven't seen many interviews with Lee so I'm actually curious. What types of things has he said?

Desanto was better.

Wow, I actually agree with you.  Only took 10 years. ;-))))

Desanto was better.

I agree that discussing the knee injury after the fact doesn't look good. It diminishes DeSanto's accomplishment and sounds like an excuse for Lee. But, Lee isn't nearly as arrogant as you make him out to be. Outside of the, "my goal is to dominate in every match", I haven't heard anything that was out of bounds. Throwing his headgear and sprinting away after only a decision or major seems childish, but he still is a child. The Iowa practice room will humble him...at least I hope. I pray he isn't the next Gilman.

What a shame.    He's had the shoulder and now the knee.     I hope he's not still intending  to face of against Fix.    If Lee can add some size,  and avoid the injury bug going forward, I think he will be a very good college wrestler.    Might be too small for 57 kg internationally, but that's not for years anyways.      

A lot of fans will start alibying Lee, but those same fans won't give Penn State a pass if Suriano can't go (on top of Cortez not being able to go). Injuries are part of the sport.

It's always gotta be related to Penn State......

;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

Let me amend prior comment, since I expect Lee to remain a stud. He is still small for the weight as of right this minute, plus now twice pretty seriously injured. That is all.

The injury part worries me more than his size. Size (at the basic level) can be find with diet, weight training, etc. Has he trained and pushed his body so hard that its pushing back? Shoulder surgery and now most likely knee surgery. He needs some time to rest and let his body heal.

I thought as a whole, the whole tourney was terribly ref'd. There were a few matches decided in OT on crappy stalling calls (or non-calls that were obvious).

I agree that discussing the knee injury after the fact doesn't look good. It diminishes DeSanto's accomplishment and sounds like an excuse for Lee. But, Lee isn't nearly as arrogant as you make him out to be. Outside of the, "my goal is to dominate in every match", I haven't heard anything that was out of bounds. Throwing his headgear and sprinting away after only a decision or major seems childish, but he still is a child. The Iowa practice room will humble him...at least I hope. I pray he isn't the next Gilman.

His dad was simply answering questions from reporters. It was obvious Lee was hurt all tourney and he just told them the truth - Lee was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with an ACL tear, the doctor cleared him to compete, and he wanted to compete. He wasn't using it as an excuse, he was answering a question that everyone had from the beginning of the WPIALs - why was Spencer wearing the big knee brace.

If they give a "no comment", then they are being standoffish and people won't be happy. Either way - people will complain....

i disagree... if he said "no comment" people would be more inclined to say hes eating humble pie. what he should have said was congrats to DeSanto, and everyone would have said wow hes a class act...but thats probably asking too much.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

i disagree... if he said "no comment" people would be more inclined to say hes eating humble pie. what he should have said was congrats to DeSanto, and everyone would have said wow hes a class act...but thats probably asking too much.

No way, but again - you just look for the negatives in anything

This is a great post by the kid. I Iove him for who he his and how he handles things.

85a93fd78d0991be3bc9ac1c3a191a35.png

ba90dee2ae296caa8dc3bd7ee13d6f60.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way, but again - you just look for the negatives in anything

This is a great post by the kid. I Iove him for who he his and how he handles things.

85a93fd78d0991be3bc9ac1c3a191a35.png

ba90dee2ae296caa8dc3bd7ee13d6f60.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adults tend to forget what it's like to be an 18 year old. That's a great statement from Lee.

Edited by SC_Wrestling

A couple buddies of mine, both former D1 wrestlers, said it was the worst officiated state tourney they have ever seen.  Said multiple matches butchered by the refs.

For those saying the knee doesn't matter, don't kid yourself.  DeSanto is really good, but a healthy Lee mauls him.  Period.

I don't know Spencer Lee, but I respect him for going out on a bad wheel and trying to get his fourth.  I hope he gets and stays healthy for his collegiate career.  If he does stay healthy, he'll be a monster.