Sign in to follow this  
Maher103

Spencer Lee loses on controversial td

A couple buddies of mine, both former D1 wrestlers, said it was the worst officiated state tourney they have ever seen.  Said multiple matches butchered by the refs.

I hate to rag on referees because it is a tough and thankless job.  Having said that, there were to many matches that could be described as "butchered" by the officials.

A couple buddies of mine, both former D1 wrestlers, said it was the worst officiated state tourney they have ever seen. Said multiple matches butchered by the refs.

For those saying the knee doesn't matter, don't kid yourself. DeSanto is really good, but a healthy Lee mauls him. Period.

I don't know Spencer Lee, but I respect him for going out on a bad wheel and trying to get his fourth. I hope he gets and stays healthy for his collegiate career. If he does stay healthy, he'll be a monster.

Well - make that 4 more DI wrestlers (me and 3 of my buddies) who agree the reffing as a whole sucked.

Not sure Lee would maul DeSanto now, but agree a healthy Lee would probably win. I love DeSanto - I've been in a club room with him many times and he is what all people want their kids to emulate - his motor never stops, he pays attention, focuses and works REALLY hard.

I think tactically the match was interesting. Last year Lee cranked DeSanto repeatedly with his bar and half. On their feet it was pretty competitive, but Austin couldn't get out on bottom. In this match, Lee had choice in the second and deferred. DeSanto picked neutral. Even though he got taken down, DeSanto fought off a nasty bar and time ran out out on Lee. In the third Lee took down and escaped to take the 3-0 lead.

I think if Lee would have taken top in the second, this match would have ended another way and inner Lee is kicking himself for deferring. He could have taken top and scored points that period. He should have known DeSanto would take neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was the worst officiating ever at the PIAA state tournament. Stall calls and out of bounds calls were wildly inconsistent.

I've heard from multiple coaches that they actually vote on who the best officials in each district are and those officials rarely make it to states.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I thought it was the worst officiating ever at the PIAA state tournament. Stall calls and out of bounds calls were wildly inconsistent.

I've heard from multiple coaches that they actually vote on who the best officials in each district are and those officials rarely make it to states.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's the inconsistency that drives me nuts. T-Row and Funky talked about this on their podcast discussing some of the NCAA wrestling matches. I may not like certain rules, but if they are consistent in their application, then I can live with it.

And you are sort of correct on the coaches voting on best officials. Each year at the end of the year, each coach grades each official in the district, and this is part of their overall score/grade. This score/grade is supposed to dictate who refs at States. In addition, each district gets at least one official at States. It's really a bunch of politics. I dont recall the last time I saw a younger official at States - its all the guys who've been there forever. There is even one or two who i think refuse to get down on the mat......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeSanto just beat the life out of Mejia. Was one TD away from the tech fall. Kid is the real deal..

Seriously. DeSanto just hammered that kid. I'm starting to wonder if his heart is so big that there's nothing he can't do. You can make all of the excuses in the world about Lee being injured but he just majored a bona fide blue chip stud. I can't believe Drexel landed him.

I finally watched the match. That final TD isn't controversial, it was a TD. The ref clearly have the escape, then quickly there was the TD.

No offense to AD, but that wasn't close to the real Lee in that match.

I finally watched the match. That final TD isn't controversial, it was a TD. The ref clearly have the escape, then quickly there was the TD.

No offense to AD, but that wasn't close to the real Lee in that match.

It depends on how you watched it. The computer graphic clock on some video show time left, while the matside clock looks like time was up before the takedown was established. Either way the math ended a few weeks back. Controversy or not it rose DeSantos stock.

I was at the match. Not trying to take anything away from DeSanto but the takedown was clearly after the matside clock hit zero. There are photos showing the clock at zero and DeSanto on his head mid-roll. I would love to see a re-match in college when both are fully healthy. Lee will obviously redshirt this year. If I were him I'd greyshirt this coming season to recover from the injury, then use a redshirt the following year to bulk up. He's way too small right now. I'd also love to see DeSanto v Fix.