Sign in to follow this  
bigtenfan

Who's Gonna Pull the Austin DeSanto @ NCAAs

Trying to stay topical here. How does Lee lose his last match of his career (even if the clock was at 0)? What a horrible way to end your career. This would be like if Snyder or Retherford lost Saturday night.

Torn ACL. He looked real hurt all weekend. This place went nuts and DeSanto wrestled a great but there was clearly something wrong with Lee physically all weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the same order of magnitude (Lee is a multi-time world champ), but a kid from my HS (Jason Betz) had something similar happen to him.

Was going for his 4th PIAA AA title with one career loss heading into states.  Kid named Travis Makel won a state title as a JR at 130 in 1994.  He dropped to 125 the following year to go after Betz.  

All was going to plan until Betz was going for bonus points in the 3rd period in the SF and got spladled by a kid named Jeremy Lengle.  Was one of the instances when the crowd sucked all the air out of the arena.  I swear the ref counted to 3 or 4 before finally slapping the mat.  

Makel ended up winning in the final and Betz finished 3rd to go 1-1-1-3 and 147-2 for his career.

Torn ACL. He looked real hurt all weekend. This place went nuts and DeSanto wrestled a great but there was clearly something wrong with Lee physically all weekend.

Torn ACL? Confirmed or speculation? Seems like it could be a liability issue to let him if he tore his ACL.

Lee is injured to one degree or another. Still, he was moving well enough to wrestle three periods. Looked to me like DeSanto took the action to him from the start as the shots were basically all his and Lee only countered.

Lee looked gassed at the end as well. DeSanto's high school is in neighboring Berks County so tons of fans at Giant Ctr know him. Home meet for him. Lee is from opposite side of PA.

Torn ACL? Confirmed or speculation? Seems like it could be a liability issue to let him if he tore his ACL.

I haven't personally confirmed but it's pretty much accepted at this point. It was clear during semis that something was really wrong, and he's been wearing this huge knee brace. Feel bad for the kid - he puts everything he has into the sport. People are complaining b/c the crowd cheered for DeSanto - but everyone roots for the underdog - no one was disrespecting Spencer and he got a standing O during the medal ceremony.

I haven't personally confirmed but it's pretty much accepted at this point. It was clear during semis that something was really wrong, and he's been wearing this huge knee brace. Feel bad for the kid - he puts everything he has into the sport. People are complaining b/c the crowd cheered for DeSanto - but everyone roots for the underdog - no one was disrespecting Spencer and he got a standing O during the medal ceremony.

There is a big difference between cheering for someone and against their opponent. Sounds like people were cheering for DeSanto and not against Lee.

If Lee really does have a torn ACL then I think someone messed up. In the grand scheme of things, high school sports are small potatoes. See Kyle Snyder... He skipped his last year of high school all together to go after the bigger prize.

Lee is injured to one degree or another. Still, he was moving well enough to wrestle three periods. Looked to me like DeSanto took the action to him from the start as the shots were basically all his and Lee only countered.

Lee looked gassed at the end as well. DeSanto's high school is in neighboring Berks County so tons of fans at Giant Ctr know him. Home meet for him. Lee is from opposite side of PA.

Agreed - gassed. I was told he hasn't practiced in 3 weeks - it looked it. And this is DeSanto's style - his motor never friggin stops.

There is a big difference between cheering for someone and against their opponent. Sounds like people were cheering for DeSanto and not against Lee.

If Lee really does have a torn ACL then I think someone messed up. In the grand scheme of things, high school sports are small potatoes. See Kyle Snyder... He skipped his last year of high school all together to go after the bigger prize.

Clearly people were cheering for DeSanto and not against Lee. And the crowd was booing the refs - they were terrible all weekend.

If he actually wrestled with a torn ACL (which I doubt) all the coaches at his school should be fired as a starting point.  There are injuries you can send a kid out there without fear of doing further damage, a torn ACL is not one of them.  When the ACL is torn you have no stability in your knee and you are at huge risk of doing additional damage to other ligaments, tendons, or meniscus.  Beyond dumb if this happened.  

If he actually wrestled with a torn ACL (which I doubt) all the coaches at his school should be fired as a starting point. There are injuries you can send a kid out there without fear of doing further damage, a torn ACL is not one of them. When the ACL is torn you have no stability in your knee and you are at huge risk of doing additional damage to other ligaments, tendons, or meniscus. Beyond dumb if this happened.

Why do you doubt it? B/c you know better than anyone else? Did you watch one second of any of his matches? Were you there? Did you talk to anyone about it?

You're right tho - maybe he was faking it just so he could wear the huge knee brace and wrestle so uncharacteristically like himself just to lose his shot at being a 4 time undefeated champ. That makes more sense I guess.....

If he actually wrestled with a torn ACL (which I doubt) all the coaches at his school should be fired as a starting point. There are injuries you can send a kid out there without fear of doing further damage, a torn ACL is not one of them. When the ACL is torn you have no stability in your knee and you are at huge risk of doing additional damage to other ligaments, tendons, or meniscus. Beyond dumb if this happened.

Oh gee - look at that.......

0b8f6db656bb4f4a71c31a221a76f50b.png

Oh gee - look at that.......

0b8f6db656bb4f4a71c31a221a76f50b.png

Absolutely hate this. Nothing like dad making an excuse as soon as his son loses. It's now abundantly clear his son had a torn acl. But why do you have to tell everyone that after the match? If it wasn't a big enough reason to not wrestle in the first place then don't bring it up as a reason for being limited right after the match (even if it's true). It's just poor sportsmanship.

Trying to stay topical here. How does Lee lose his last match of his career (even if the clock was at 0)? What a horrible way to end your career. This would be like if Snyder or Retherford lost Saturday night.

It'd be like if Gable lost the last match.... oh, never mind.

Absolutely hate this. Nothing like dad making an excuse as soon as his son loses. It's now abundantly clear his son had a torn acl. But why do you have to tell everyone that after the match? If it wasn't a big enough reason to not wrestle in the first place then don't bring it up as a reason for being limited right after the match (even if it's true). It's just poor sportsmanship.

Agreed for the most part but I don't think his dad was saying it to be a poor sport - I think he was just answering reporters questions.