Sign in to follow this  
bigtenfan

Who's Gonna Pull the Austin DeSanto @ NCAAs

Not the same order of magnitude (Lee is a multi-time world champ), but a kid from my HS (Jason Betz) had something similar happen to him.

Was going for his 4th PIAA AA title with one career loss heading into states.  Kid named Travis Makel won a state title as a JR at 130 in 1994.  He dropped to 125 the following year to go after Betz.  

All was going to plan until Betz was going for bonus points in the 3rd period in the SF and got spladled by a kid named Jeremy Lengle.  Was one of the instances when the crowd sucked all the air out of the arena.  I swear the ref counted to 3 or 4 before finally slapping the mat.  

Makel ended up winning in the final and Betz finished 3rd to go 1-1-1-3 and 147-2 for his career.

I was watching the semis that night, talking with a friend (a, shudder, Lafayette grad), who remarked "that kid (Betz) is clearly the best kid in the state. Before I could reply "thanks Captain Obvious" Lengle hit the move.

Were Betz and Lee the only two 3-time champs who wrestle who failed to get 4. (Garrett Scott became ineligible for exploring non "eligible" internet sites while "attending" a cyber charter school, (or something)   

Why do you doubt it? B/c you know better than anyone else? Did you watch one second of any of his matches? Were you there? Did you talk to anyone about it?

You're right tho - maybe he was faking it just so he could wear the huge knee brace and wrestle so uncharacteristically like himself just to lose his shot at being a 4 time undefeated champ. That makes more sense I guess.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubted it because I didn't want to believe a coaching staff and parents would let a kid do that to himself.  I figured it was a lesser but still serious knee injury.  I appear to have severely underestimated the lack of wisdom in this situation.  Good for the kid trying to go no matter what.  Bad for everyone in his life who should have stopped him. 

Agreed for the most part but I don't think his dad was saying it to be a poor sport - I think he was just answering reporters questions.

Be vague say he wasn't at 100% (which is obvious) but the other wrestler had a great match. Our hats off to him. Something along those lines.

When I saw Lee "only" won 6-0 in the semis yesterday I thought what the heck happened? Spencer Lee does not win by small margins at the state level. I had no idea he was hurt but it was an indications.

DeSanto deserved huge props for having the guts to cut down to challenge Lee. Mind you Lee beat him 15-0 in last year's state finals. But the real reason he gets those promos is because of this quote after the finals:

"I'm excited but at the same time I wrestled a hurt Spencer Lee," DeSanto said. "You could see his knee, he was favoring it the whole time. I just kind of feel bad for him. But at the same time, I'm excited for myself. I worked every day after that tech fall to beat him and I got my dream, I guess."

Edited by BigTimeFan

Be vague say he wasn't at 100% (which is obvious) but the other wrestler had a great match. Our hats off to him. Something along those lines.

It's not a great comment on the other hand I think his dad was explaining what everyone was wondering. Why was Lee so gassed? What was the brace all about? If Lee had gone out there and simply lost as opposed to having gone out there and looked very un-Spencer Lee like, that'd be another story.

As someone pointed out, high school is small potatos. The question on my mind is whether Lee has pushed his body too hard to now. Last year a labral tear. This year a torn acl. Can anyone comment on what this might mean for his future prospects?

He's doomed.

Unbelievably stupid decision to wrestle, period, end of story. This is just inexcusable. I'm sure Brands is thrilled about having his star recruit out there on 1.5 legs to prove, what, exactly?

Lee's dad, his coaches, and Lee himself are all to blame.

I guess this answers the question as to whether Lee will redshirt next year or not.

As soon as I saw that Lee only won 6-0 in the semi I publically predicted that Desanto would win. I am not a Lee detractor, I appreciate all his accomplishments. I have been a Desanto fan ever since his Devin Brown match where he got screwed. I really like his style and personality on the mat.

Chance Marsteller had a pretty bad back injury in his senior year. Most kids would not have wrestled. Chance still won so you didn't hear as much about the injury and how he should not have been cleared to wrestle by responsible adults,and wondering if John Smith would be happy with then decision to wrestle.

Injuries suck, I hope Spencer fully recovers.

Having a chronic injury such as Chance's and back and having a torn ligament in the knee joint are very different injuries. While Chance's injury was certainly performance-inhibiting, it didn't have the same risk as wrestling on a torn ACL. Very poor decision to risk a busted knee for a HS match.

Didn't look like a 33 to me

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

How do you say that when he's wrestled 132 all season and cut to 126 for the post season.  Still a growing kid.  The post I responded to called him Drexel's 125 for the next 4 years.  Highly unlikely he'll be a career 125 for the Dragons.

I have been a Desanto fan ever since his Devin Brown match where he got screwed.

That match was atrociously refer'd and I agree - he got screwed bad. I agreed with a friend of mine while there - he kept saying "Brown's a returning champ and should get some calls". I just got more and more kissed. I think he was just egging me on tho....

It's not a great comment on the other hand I think his dad was explaining what everyone was wondering. Why was Lee so gassed? What was the brace all about? If Lee had gone out there and simply lost as opposed to having gone out there and looked very un-Spencer Lee like, that'd be another story.

And it wouldn't surprise me if he was being asked specific questions, by lots of media at the time, about the brace, his conditioning, etc., and they were answering.

Unbelievably stupid decision to wrestle, period, end of story. This is just inexcusable. I'm sure Brands is thrilled about having his star recruit out there on 1.5 legs to prove, what, exactly?

Lee's dad, his coaches, and Lee himself are all to blame.

I guess this answers the question as to whether Lee will redshirt next year or not.

Brands was there this weekend. I'd love to know how some of the conversations went.

"I'm excited but at the same time I wrestled a hurt Spencer Lee," DeSanto said. "You could see his knee, he was favoring it the whole time. I just kind of feel bad for him. But at the same time, I'm excited for myself. I worked every day after that tech fall to beat him and I got my dream, I guess."

Austin is a great, great kid and he gets it. Hat is definitely a great, classy quote by him.

How do you say that when he's wrestled 132 all season and cut to 126 for the post season.  Still a growing kid.  The post I responded to called him Drexel's 125 for the next 4 years.  Highly unlikely he'll be a career 125 for the Dragons.

I am a little surprised that DeSanto could "Wrestle all year at 132 and cut to 126 for the post season"  What are the restrictions in PA as far as dropping weight goes?  In my state the wrestlers have to certify for a weight prior to starting wrestling.  Then they need to have at least 1/3 of their weigh ins at the weight they are going to wrestle in states.  Are there similar restrictions in PA?

I am a little surprised that DeSanto could "Wrestle all year at 132 and cut to 126 for the post season" What are the restrictions in PA as far as dropping weight goes? In my state the wrestlers have to certify for a weight prior to starting wrestling. Then they need to have at least 1/3 of their weigh ins at the weight they are going to wrestle in states. Are there similar restrictions in PA?

They certify at a weight and they are allowed to lose 1.5% body weight a week. All weights at an event's weigh in are tracked. So all he had to do was weigh in under 132 the last few weeks so he was close enough that his decent worked to get to 126 for the sectional tournament.

This is why Verklereen didn't wrestle at States last year - his coaches screwed up what he needed to weigh at the state team tourney and he was ineligible to drop to 145 for his sectional tourney.

Watched Lee win by TF in the quarters and knew he wasn't anywhere near 100%.  His wrestling on top was why he won by TF, it wasn't from being very active from neutral.  Also, DeSanto did not choose bottom against Lee probably for more than one reason - there is no one better on top and DeSanto could continue to pressure Lee while at neutral. That knee was not going to help Spencer in any way while trying to avoid all of the leg attacks by DeSanto. Great match by two great wrestlers.

lu1979- PA cert process and decent plan is likely the same as most or all states. I am 100% sure Desanto followed the plan to the letter.

It's only a 6-lb difference between weights.  Could have taken as little as 3 weeks.  Two weeks, if he started at 129.81:

Baseline 131.75  

Week 1 129.77  

Week 2 127.83  

Week 3 125.91

Edited by lu_alum

This guy should only be on the mat with a torn ACL if he tears it mid olympics. The potential for further damage isn't worth it for a PIAA title...Who freaking cares about high school wrestling when you are probably the odds on favorite for the olympic spot in 2020.  

This x1000000

One one hand, this sort of thing is what makes wrestling awesome - one guy going for a perfect hs record & fourth state title with a torn ACL, the other cutting down a weight to compete with one of the toughest wrestlers in the country and avenge last year's loss (also, didn't someone here mention a kid in Utah or something who won his fourth state title with a torn ACL a few weeks ago?). What a storyline...  But on the other hand, SL has far bigger and better things in his future - as long as he stays healthy. I can understand wrestlers being stubborn about competing through injury, taking in the hype, wanting to get out on the mat no matter what, etc. but the parents, coaches and staff need to consider what's best for the athlete before themselves.

This guy should only be on the mat with a torn ACL if he tears it mid olympics. The potential for further damage isn't worth it for a PIAA title...Who freaking cares about high school wrestling when you are probably the odds on favorite for the olympic spot in 2020.  

Apparently winning state again meant a lot to Lee.