Sign in to follow this  
bigtenfan

Who's Gonna Pull the Austin DeSanto @ NCAAs

When I saw Lee "only" won 6-0 in the semis yesterday I thought what the heck happened? Spencer Lee does not win by small margins at the state level. I had no idea he was hurt but it was an indications.

DeSanto deserved huge props for having the guts to cut down to challenge Lee. Mind you Lee beat him 15-0 in last year's state finals. But the real reason he gets those promos is because of this quote after the finals:

"I'm excited but at the same time I wrestled a hurt Spencer Lee," DeSanto said. "You could see his knee, he was favoring it the whole time. I just kind of feel bad for him. But at the same time, I'm excited for myself. I worked every day after that tech fall to beat him and I got my dream, I guess."

Big respect to DeSanto.  When he made the decision to cut down, Spencer wasn't hurt.  He was just pushing himself.  He achieved his dream, but not the way he wanted, and he recognized it it.  Very classy, and he wrestled his ass off to get that TD at the literal last possible second.  A hurt Spencer Lee is still an excellent wrestler, as you saw by him making the Finals and leading in the third period, and DeSanto made it happen.  I wish him nothing but the best, and I hope for a speedy recovery for Spencer.  This changes nothing about my excitement for Lee for coming to Iowa.

I think he'd AA too. Possibly high.

I think he'd definitely AA high.  kid is a stud.  selfishly being a hawkeye fan i'm hoping he grows a bunch and has to go 33.  as a wrestling fan I'm excited to watch lee vs fix for possibly 5 years.

Another comment from Lee's dad - he says "no excuses"

"He didn't want his career to end in a doctor's office," Larry Lee said. "I'm proud of him for making that call. We have an appointment next week to see what type of damage was done to (his knee) the last three weeks and just to see what the answer is. But no excuses, he wrestled the best he could on this day."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another comment from Lee's dad - he says "no excuses"

"He didn't want his career to end in a doctor's office," Larry Lee said. "I'm proud of him for making that call. We have an appointment next week to see what type of damage was done to (his knee) the last three weeks and just to see what the answer is. But no excuses, he wrestled the best he could on this day."

The best comment would be "No comment. Let Desanto enjoy his win."

Not "we need to see how much damage happened to his knee these last 3 weeks, but no excuses."

That's like saying: Here's my excuse. But no excuses.

The best comment would be "No comment. Let Desanto enjoy his win."

Not "we need to see how much damage happened to his knee these last 3 weeks, but no excuses."

That's like saying: Here's my excuse. But no excuses.

OK. Whatever. You are clearly the type of person who likes to be argumentative and will never be satisfied with an opinion different than yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This guy should only be on the mat with a torn ACL if he tears it mid olympics. The potential for further damage isn't worth it for a PIAA title...Who freaking cares about high school wrestling when you are probably the odds on favorite for the olympic spot in 2020.

He cares. The second you start to doubt yourself is the second you will never win. He believed he could still win even with the injury. Nothing in life is guaranteed so you take every opportunity you can get to be great before it's taken from you. Living your life like your future is guaranteed is ignorant. You do what you can while you can and you then never have any regrets.

Come on. Spencer Lee is a celebrity by wrestling's standards. I don't think it's so classless, or inappropriate even, for Lee's dad to talk about an obvious injury when specifically asked by media.

If he hadn't said anything, he'd be accused of being a problem for the growth of the sport by withholding information fans want.

I was there with my dad for that one. The Pepsi Center erupted in similar fashion.

Wrong... not one person was booing tom clum. I heard many boos against spencer lee. The crowd in Denver gave tom a standing ovation. Did that happen for soencer? I doubt it. Their favorite son signed with Iowa and they feel betrayed.

Wrong... not one person was booing tom clum. I heard many boos against spencer lee. The crowd in Denver gave tom a standing ovation. Did that happen for soencer? I doubt it. Their favorite son signed with Iowa and they feel betrayed.

Wrong. I was there and no one was booing Lee - they booed the refs (who were terrible the whole weekend). Lee got a standing O during the medal ceremony. Where did you "hear" these boos?

Come on. Spencer Lee is a celebrity by wrestling's standards. I don't think it's so classless, or inappropriate even, for Lee's dad to talk about an obvious injury when specifically asked by media.

If he hadn't said anything, he'd be accused of being a problem for the growth of the sport by withholding information fans want.

Agree 100%

I was there too yellow medal

Kind of a neat, "Where were you" moment.  I was presenting medals to the 4A medalists on the mat next to Tom's last match.  I heard the scoring discussion at the end and saw a Coach with more class than most of us...Tom was one of my heroes after that match. Clearly, Tom and his parents were winners at the bigger game.   I flew to Bloomington to watch him win his Big 10 Title in a 4 overtime thriller at the Big Tens.  Greatness comes in many forms in this beautiful sport.  Xander, Congrats for your son winning the Sophomore Tournament this week.  Pretty cool.  You guys are going to be a tough out next Winter!!!

He cares. The second you start to doubt yourself is the second you will never win. He believed he could still win even with the injury. Nothing in life is guaranteed so you take every opportunity you can get to be great before it's taken from you. Living your life like your future is guaranteed is ignorant. You do what you can while you can and you then never have any regrets.

This is nonsense.  You don't wrestle with a torn ACL in high school if you have aims to wrestle in college or the international level. That's not "doubting yourself," it's understanding that your knee needs ligaments to function.  The risks just are not worth it. I get that when you're 18 or you're the coach of a high school team, it seems like high school wrestling is a big deal...The reality though is that it really isn't for somebody who is in contention for an olympic spot.  If Kyle Snyder tore his ACL, i would expect him to sit out the NCAA season and heal rather than risk it to help Ohio State. On the other hand, you'd expect a guy like Ryan Morningstar to compete with that injury, since it is the pinnacle of his athletic career (so you might as well push through to help the team).   

Agree. If he had a torn ACL, then of course that's relevant information. What's he supposed to say when he's asked, "why does your son have a giant knee brace on and seems to not be wrestling like he usually does?"  Is his answer supposed to be, "Oh, that's for decoration.  We don't believe in excuses in the Lee household."  Give me a break...

Edited by Billyhoyle

Wrong. I was there and no one was booing Lee - they booed the refs (who were terrible the whole weekend). Lee got a standing O during the medal ceremony. Where did you "hear" these boos?

The whole time during the match when lee was slow to get up you can hear boos. I was being presumptuous for the medal ceremony however since I didn't see it. That's why I said I doubted he got one, but I'm glad that he did

The whole time during the match when lee was slow to get up you can hear boos. I was being presumptuous for the medal ceremony however since I didn't see it. That's why I said I doubted he got one, but I'm glad that he did

I believe that booing was more for the refs than anything. They did nothing all weekend consistently with stalling and in fact, two matches were decided in OT on stalling calls so the refs were hearing it constantly. Yes - Lee was slow to get up and get back to the center - the booing in those situations would probably be heard in any finals match. It was just more impactful in this one, I believe, b/c of the stakes.

This is nonsense. You don't wrestle with a torn ACL in high school if you have aims to wrestle in college or the international level. That's not "doubting yourself," it's understanding that your knee needs ligaments to function. The risks just are not worth it. I get that when you're 18 or you're the coach of a high school team, it seems like high school wrestling is a big deal...The reality though is that it really isn't for somebody who is in contention for an olympic spot. If Kyle Snyder tore his ACL, i would expect him to sit out the NCAA season and heal rather than risk it to help Ohio State. On the other hand, you'd expect a guy like Ryan Morningstar to compete with that injury, since it is the pinnacle of his athletic career (so you might as well push through to

Lee's father said it himself that he didn't want his career to end in a doctors office. Even after surgery there is no guarantee that he will ever be the same. His knee could be completely blown out for all we know. Spencer, his parents, his coaches all did what spencer who is an 18 yr old adult wanted to do. None of the could have held him out. You don't have any problems with him wrestling in sectionals or through the semis. Just that he lost in the finals so now it looks bad because he wasn't his dominating self. What if his ultimate goals arent to be an Olympian or a NCAA national champ? I know there are a lot of Olympians who have gone bankrupt or are working the counters and struggling to get by. So, quit ragging on the young man his parents and his coaches. If you want to raise someone that quits when there is adversity that is your priority, but dont expect everyone to live in your fantasy world where all your dreams come true and you'll never have anything hard in life

Edited by rcoates1

Lee's father said it himself that he didn't want his career to end in a doctors office. Even after surgery there is no guarantee that he will ever be the same. His knee could be completely blown out for all we know. Spencer, his parents, his coaches all did what spencer who is an 18 yr old adult wanted to do. None of the could have held him out. You don't have any problems with him wrestling in sectionals or through the semis. Just that he lost in the finals so now it looks bad because he wasn't his dominating self. What if his ultimate goals arent to be an Olympian or a NCAA national champ? I know there are a lot of Olympians who have gone bankrupt or are working the counters and struggling to get by. So, quit ragging on the young man his parents and his coaches. If you want to raise someone that quits when there is adversity that is your priority, but dont expect everyone to live in your fantasy world where all your dreams come true and you'll never have anything hard in life

I don't think it's ragging on anybody to suggest that you shouldn't wrestle through a torn ACL unless you are at the pinnacle of your career...I hate seeing high school coaches (in any sport) send out an injured athlete to "fight through it" when that kid has a bright future in college and beyond.  It unfortunately happens too often, and not just in the movies Varsity Blues or Friday Night Lights. It's called human physiology..It has its limits when it is lacking ligaments.  

I don't blame Lee at all by the way.  The athlete will always want to compete.  That's his mentality. There should be a doctor that outlines the very serious risks in vivid detail.  We may not know just how much more damage was caused by competing the torn ACL..Hopefully none...It's possible though that there was some additional damage (even if it does not appear on the MRI).  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I don't think it's ragging on anybody to suggest that you shouldn't wrestle through a torn ACL unless you are at the pinnacle of your career...I hate seeing high school coaches (in any sport) send out an injured athlete to "fight through it" when that kid has a bright future in college and beyond. It unfortunately happens too often, and not just in the movies Varsity Blues or Friday Night Lights. It's called human physiology..It has its limits when it is lacking ligaments.

I don't blame Lee at all by the way. The athlete will always want to compete. That's his mentality. There should be a doctor that outlines the very serious risks in vivid detail. We may not know just how much more damage was caused by competing the torn ACL..Hopefully none...It's possible though that there was some additional damage (even if it does not appear on the MRI).

Please give me some examples of the times you have seen coaches send out players who have significant injuries, since it is so prominent. You should have a lot of examples. Do you know a doctor didn't tell them that he would be ok to compete with the knee injury? What if this was his senior year in college and he was undefeated for four year, would it be significant then. Should he throw in the towel then? What if it he was going for his fourth straight Olympic gold should he not go out there and compete? Perhaps j. Jaggers shouldn't have wrestled in the. Can finals because he had a broken ankle. Coulda done real damage and he could have never walked again and at worst had his foot amputated. Tervel Dlagnev shouldn't have even tried to wrestle for a bronze in the olympics after he has suffered from back problems for many years. He could have never walked again. I have no idea why a person would ever take a risk when the have an injury. I got a paper cut so I should probably take the next six months off from work to make sure it doesn't get infected.

Spencer Lee should not have wrestled, but I understand why he did.  Clearly it meant a lot to him, the history of the moment, being a 4 time undefeated PA champ.  I've never been faced with a choice remotely like that, I wasn't that level of athlete, and most of you weren't either; it's easy to say from here he should have sat out.  No use crying over it now, just hope he's healthy.

Wow, I just had an epiphany, it turns out that it is none of my business how Spencer, his parents, coaches and doctors handled his injury. I just realized that I don't have all the facts and medical records to make an informed decision. They didn't invite me to the discussions on the pro's and con's of wrestling through the end of the season. I guess it is just not my place to pass judgement on how others rais their kids