MadMardigain

Riley Lefever 4x DIII National Champion

From what I can gather he's going to be putting in a cycle on the senior circuit. He's still very young and won't turn 22 for another month.

Watch the interviews with this guy, he gets it and is someone that is hard to cheer against.

Here is a great article on him

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/03/09/doyel-wabash-wrestler-poet-who-plays-his-prey/98899716/

1) I don't consider him to be successful.

2) Shut up.

It must be painful.  

And you prove your timidity with each post.

What's next to highlight your lack of self-confidence and uncertainty in life--> picking on Nolf because he didn't pin everyone.

We feel for you.  Really, we do.

Living with such self-doubt, to put down a 4 X Champ, the day after his amazing performance further highlights how agonizing, tormenting, and unbearable it is for you to be that insecure.

It must be painful.  

And you prove your timidity with each post.

What's next to highlight your lack of self-confidence and uncertainty in life--> picking on Nolf because he didn't pin everyone.

We feel for you.  Really, we do.

Living with such self-doubt, to put down a 4 X Champ, the day after his amazing performance further highlights how agonizing, tormenting, and unbearable it is for you to be that insecure.

If you only knew how I really felt about the "accomplishment". I'd put it to you in even clearer words but I don't want to come off as degrading to the kid as I have no ill will towards him.

Anyway, let's just leave it alone leshishmore. Let's turn our focus to the upcoming championships.

If you only knew how I really felt about the "accomplishment". I'd put it to you in even clearer words but I don't want to come off as degrading to the kid as I have no ill will towards him.

Anyway, let's just leave it alone leshishmore. Let's turn our focus to the upcoming championships.

The only championships that matter correct?

Fair enough. Just for the record, I've stated here before that I judge collegiate wrestlers by world class standards. That's just the way I am.

I'm not looking to intentionally offend anyone, I'm just stating my (unpopular) opinion.

Fair enough to you too. At least you're self-aware. If world-class is what you're looking for, Riley Lefever and everyone but Cox, Snyder, and maybe a few moments from Retherford and a few others this weekend are pretty much garbage.

And of course, as you said in another quote, there's some #15 to #35 fluff I'm giving as "evidence" to his consistency. My point was only that he's got a ton of wins over that type of fluff and only one loss to that group--plus better than 50-50 results against everything above that fluff that suggests he's a Top 10 college guy. Not world class. But Top 10.

Edited by maligned

Fair enough. Just for the record, I've stated here before that I judge collegiate wrestlers by world class standards. That's just the way I am.

Btw, Im not trying to disparage anyone. I'm just stating what I believe. To me, this kid is no more worthy of praise than Dylan Alton. To be perfectly honest, I don't care what he accomplished at the D3 level. It's actually near the height of absurdity to me that people are impressed by this. I'm not. Think about it, what is D3 really? It's just a significantly lower level of wrestling than D1.

Keep in mind that the kids in D1, D2, and D3 are nearly all 18-23 years old. They're all able bodied. They all have access to sufficient training facilities. There's no reason that they shouldn't all be competing for the same individual championship. Isn't it funny that a grown man loses in the R12 and goes home devastated while another guy wins D3 and is on cloud nine? They are both college aged, and more times than not, the D1 guy is a much better wrestler with a far better resume of wins. Yet the lesser wrestler stands atop of the podium and gets cheered by thousands while being crowned champion. "Ladies and gentlemen please stand on your feet and give it up for your Division 3 national champioooooon!!!!!!" Come on folks. We are giving out 24 AA awards for every weight class. The Olympics only gives out 4 and they have one true tournament. Am I the only one that finds that comical? Imo, these grown men are too old to be getting these consolation trophies.

I'm not looking to intentionally offend anyone, I'm just stating my (unpopular) opinion.

I'm impressed by a man or woman, freestyle, greco, D2, D3, NAIA, high school, or grade school wrestler who is able to wrestle 4 years (100+ wins) without a loss. You should be too.

Only a troll would pretend this isn't impressive. You have a choice - don't choose to be a troll.

Wrestling is a brotherhood, we encourage each other. We don't cut each other down. Make the right choice and give credit where credit is due. If you can't do that - at least choose to remain silent.

I'm impressed by a man or woman, freestyle, greco, D2, D3, NAIA, high school, or grade school wrestler who is able to wrestle 4 years (100+ wins) without a loss. You should be too.

Only a troll would pretend this isn't impressive. You have a choice - don't choose to be a troll.

Wrestling is a brotherhood, we encourage each other. We don't cut each other down. Make the right choice and give credit where credit is due. If you can't do that - at least choose to remain silent.

I'm not pretending and I'm not trolling. I'm not cutting anyone down and I'm not in a brotherhood with you. I'm encouraging the kid and, with all due respect, I'm not taking tips on posting etiquette from you. Have a good one.

Btw, Im not trying to disparage anyone. I'm just stating what I believe. To me, this kid is no more worthy of praise than Dylan Alton. To be perfectly honest, I don't care what he accomplished at the D3 level. It's actually near the height of absurdity to me that people are impressed by this. I'm not. Think about it, what is D3 really? It's just a significantly lower level of wrestling than D1.

Keep in mind that the kids in D1, D2, and D3 are nearly all 18-23 years old. They're all able bodied. They all have access to sufficient training facilities. There's no reason that they shouldn't all be competing for the same individual championship. Isn't it funny that a grown man loses in the R12 and goes home devastated while another guy wins D3 and is on cloud nine? They are both college aged, and more times than not, the D1 guy is a much better wrestler with a far better resume of wins. Yet the lesser wrestler stands atop of the podium and gets cheered by thousands while being crowned champion. "Ladies and gentlemen please stand on your feet and give it up for your Division 3 national champioooooon!!!!!!" Come on folks. We are giving out 24 AA awards for every weight class. The Olympics only gives out 4 and they have one true tournament. Am I the only one that finds that comical? Imo, these grown men are too old to be getting these consolation trophies.

Well, if u only judge the collegiate ranks by world class standards then we only have 2 foos collegiate wrestlers, Cox and Snyder. Nobody else, not even Zain, is world class yet.

I'm not pretending and I'm not trolling. I'm not cutting anyone down and I'm not in a brotherhood with you. I'm encouraging the kid and, with all due respect, I'm not taking tips on posting etiquette from you. Have a good one.

I am pretty sure he could care less about your "encouragement." Riley has been planning on testing himself on the senior circuit way before your "encouragement" ever took place.

As a former presidential candidate, I am 100% sure of that. Go troll elsewhere.

I am pretty sure he could care less about your "encouragement." Riley has been planning on testing himself on the senior circuit way before your "encouragement" ever took place.

As a former presidential candidate, I am 100% sure of that. Go troll elsewhere.

He shouldn't care about my encouragement, you are correct. It's funny that people are calling me a troll. Where was the passionate apologetic for Dylan Alton's career? He's a disappointment but this guy is a success?

Well, if u only judge the collegiate ranks by world class standards then we only have 2 foos collegiate wrestlers, Cox and Snyder. Nobody else, not even Zain, is world class yet.

Maybe I'll explain this further at another time. I don't want to hijack this thread. Guys like Zain, Nolf, Isaiah, and a few others are elite talents, but not yet great wrestlers imo. I think Isaiah, with a good 5 months at an elite training camp could contend for a World medal right out of the gate. We'll see what happens with Nolf, but as of right now, I think he's going to struggle mightily on the world stage for a while. Many will try to chalk it up to being because of the new style but that's not true. What he's doing is not elite in either folkstyle or freestyle. Numbers like Cael, but a skill level somewhere around Heil. Still he has a lot of talent so I think he can make the adjustments eventually. I owe a thread to someone and this will be covered in depth when I post it sometime after the completion of this NCAA season.

It must painful for you to go through life being so insecure that you feel the need to find issues with a kid that just won 4 DIII titles... something you have never come close to doing. The primary sign of someone being insecure is the need for them to put other people down, especially those who are successful. SAD... Very SAD. If you have an issue, we can provide you with a tissue.

I'm afraid you are right on the money with this.

Not cutting anyone down!!!!! Guess your reference to Jack Cuovo doesn't count? You have proved yourself to be sourmilk.

If anyone has any more troll or utterly ridiculous jealously/bitterness posts that they want to post here, please send it via PM rather than flood the boards with this nonsense.

Dude look in the mirror, seriously.

I'm guessing you've never followed (or cared to follow) the D3 tournament to actually have an understanding of what you're talking about ...

Can always depend on you for a snarky comment.  Perhaps sit one out? 

While I won't argue that a D3 title or AA status doesn't carry the same weight as the same in D1, the accomplishment and hard work to make that happen is nothing at which to turn up your nose. People seem to believe that D3 is where the JV All-Stars from high school ended up and that couldn't be further from the truth. People who have been there would know this. There a countless factors that go into someone choosing a D3 option and it isn't always wrestling ability. Choosing D3 doesn't make these guys any less tough, any less of a wrestler or seeking an easy way to earn accolades. Their accomplishments should be applauded as the number of student-wrestlers in D3 make a whopping 1% of all kids wrestling in high school. The kids winning and making the medal stand are usually among the top 5% of American Folkstyle wrestlers in the country at the end of the day.