Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Pitt coach

Anyone hear anything about potential hires for the Pitt head coach? I have been hearing rumors that they are willing to throw out some big money and are going after some big names. Anyone know if there is any truth to this or have any details? I would love to see another PA program step up to compete with PSU

Anyone hear anything about potential hires for the Pitt head coach? I have been hearing rumors that they are willing to throw out some big money and are going after some big names. Anyone know if there is any truth to this or have any details? I would love to see another PA program step up to compete with PSU

They looked great at the ACC's. Why not hire Kocher or Headlee? They have some good, young talent. I don't think Pitt can really compete with Penn State. Not many can. They can, however, compete for an ACC championship and Top 10 status. If they truly were willing to go all-in, then someone like Kolat makes sense. His name alone in PA would garner 2-3 studs a year. But, Kolat seems pretty content building a different type of dynasty at Campbell.

I have heard Gavin' s name also along with Robie.

I hope Robie is staying at Tech but if they haven't given him any assurances then I can't blame him for keeping his options open. As for that Eastern Pa coach possibly being in play for the Pitt job, that would be very interesting. For now I'll consider it an interesting rumor....

I hope Robie is staying at Tech but if they haven't given him any assurances then I can't blame him for keeping his options open. As for that Eastern Pa coach possibly being in play for the Pitt job, that would be very interesting. For now I'll consider it an interesting rumor....

Agreed - interesting rumor, but as a Pitt alum, I'd happily accept it as truth! The guy who told me coaches up in that area and knows some wrestling alumnus. He said he had heard rumblings as far back as last year. Who knows tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the rumors seem to be all over heard over 10 names including all the ones lsited above and  from jake varner, jake herbert, terry brands, mark perry. they will prob get even more offers after NCAA's. if they want someone big they will need to offer 300k. Personally I would love to see flynn take over or if the herbert rumor was true. 

I'd say there's a chance if Edinboro closes the entire school, which is a real possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat me by 4 minutes, while I was finding & pasting a link to the article.

Edited by lu_alum

the rumors seem to be all over heard over 10 names including all the ones lsited above and from jake varner, jake herbert, terry brands, mark perry. they will prob get even more offers after NCAA's. if they want someone big they will need to offer 300k. Personally I would love to see flynn take over or if the herbert rumor was true.

No they don't. There are only a few coaches in that range, and none of them are leaving.

A guy like Herbert would do it for a hell of a lot less.

I'd say there's a chance if Edinboro closes the entire school, which is a real possibility.

Very true. Lots of speculation going on about the state schools. I'd hate to see any of them go, but the budget numbers are very telling.

Lotza PSAC schools closing before the Boro-that will take a handfull of years before that happens. 

-Flynn is set there with lots of camps and his family aint movin to sPitt any time soon. 

He's a great parent and I just don't see him going to pitt.  fwiw

I have heard similar rumors. I have heard they are willing to put up over 300k base salary, and some names I heard were Gavin, Burroughs, and Terry Brands (they wanted Strittmatter, but he's not interested from what I understand). I had a hard time believing they are paying so much, so I took it as rumor, and that's why I asked if there is any solid information.