Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Pitt coach

All signs point to Strittmatter being a great youth coach and a poor college coach or at least recruiter.

He produces top high schoolers but he hasn't done much for UPJ in the way of building the program.

Probably knows his limits and doesn't want to take on the tough task of dealing with unrealistic expectations at Pitt.

That's an unfair or at least incomplete assessment. He has never been a full-time college coach, at least not to my knowledge, and that makes a big difference when your primary job is running a club of the caliber of YG. I am not a fan HS cosches takin over major D1 programs, but in his case, given the location, his fantastic track record there at the youth level, and the fact that his top athletes are immediately compeitive at the top tier of D1, he's the one HS guy I would take a gamble on if I were Pitt. Alas, he doesn't seem to want the job.

Worked out OK for Dresser

That's an unfair or at least incomplete assessment. He has never been a full-time college coach, at least not to my knowledge, and that makes a big difference when your primary job is running a club of the caliber of YG. I am not a fan HS cosches takin over major D1 programs, but in his case, given the location, his fantastic track record there at the youth level, and the fact that his top athletes are immediately compeitive at the top tier of D1, he's the one HS guy I would take a gamble on if I were Pitt. Alas, he doesn't seem to want the job.

I really like what Bono is doing at SDSU.  I would like to see him continue to build that program.

From Bono on April 3rd on takedown radio...Lesson to you High School kids....college coaches do not tell the truth-lol

From there the conversation turned to the offseason coaching carousel, but Bono dispelled any notion that he might be leaving Brookings, South Dakota anytime soon.

“Listen, I’m here and I’m dedicated to these guys. I got a special team and I got special kids, and you just don’t walk away from that. We are building something here and I want to see this thing through. We just had our most successful year, I got four out of my five [NCAA] qualifiers back, and a national runner-up.”

Bono also mentioned that administrative support also played a huge role in him staying.

“I’ll tell you what I got an Athletic Director that supports wrestling. That’s very, very rare. I got a guy that’s driving home on a bus, ten hours from the NCAA tournament instead of flying because he wants to be with the team. It’s just something special.

“I’m here in South Dakota, in Brookings. I’m entrenched. My assistant coaches are entrenched. We’ve got families and I’m dedicated to these guys.”

I know you guys love my opinion, so here goes.

Kolat is the best choice.

I hope Bono stays at SD.

Herbert, I woukd never hire him.

Snyder is an interesting choice.

Anyone in the know, these days? Updates?

Edited by RetiredPoster

Bono would be especially good if he brings both Schopp and Gross.

As much as I want Pitt to succeed, I hope it doesn't happen. SDSU needs Bono a lot more than Pitt, and SDSU doing well is good for wrestling.

I don't think Gross can transfer again unless he graduates, since he already transferred from Iowa

I know you guys love my opinion, so here goes.

Kolat is the best choice.

I hope Bono stays at SD.

Herbert, I woukd never hire him.

Snyder is an interesting choice.

Anyone in the know, these days? Updates?

You're about 6 days behind on this....

Kolat isn't coming.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You're about 6 days behind on this....

Kolat isn't coming.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn't say he "was" coming and I have not seen or heard anything that he wasn't coming..I just said I think he would be the best choice. 

looking at Hahn, and not that this is the end all be all of his resume for the job, but who have been some of the Pa standouts at Cornell during his time there? Bosak and Anceravage were Pa guys I think. who else we got?

regardless, Hahn is a great candidate, but wonder if he is willing to bide his time at Cornell until Koll hangs it up?   

Edited by KTG119

My understand is that Hahn is the coach in waiting at Cornell. Much like Guerrero at Okie State. Unlikely to leave.

Both Zach Esposito and Guerrero are associate head coaches, so it's not clear who would take over if it's an insider. OSU is the only program with two associate head coaches. 

Both Zach Esposito and Guerrero are associate head coaches, so it's not clear who would take over if it's an insider. OSU is the only program with two associate head coaches. 

a wrestle-off sounds fitting.