Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Pitt coach

Lotza PSAC schools closing before the Boro-that will take a handfull of years before that happens. 

-Flynn is set there with lots of camps and his family aint movin to sPitt any time soon. 

He's a great parent and I just don't see him going to pitt.  fwiw

Why would moving to Pittsburgh interfere with him being a great parent?

I would be shocked if someone as inexperienced as Keith Gavin was made HC. Both coaches on staff have more experienced. Keith is a sharp dude, and will make a great HC in the future, but he's simply too green.

My money is on Santoro. 

SHP mentioned that they don't have an AD - if that's the case it's hard to believe they are offering up these crazy rumored salaries or doing this big search, especially since the season hasn't even ended yet.

There is an interim AD. We hired a basketball coach without an AD. I don't think that issue will slow them down.

That said - I still find it VERY hard to believe they will pay a wrestling coach in the $300k neighborhood, but I'd love to see it. They could fill Fitzgerald Fieldhouse with the right coach/program running. The Pittsburgh Wrestling Club has exploded in the last 2 years, almost quadrupling in size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it hard to believe Santoro would leave Lehigh, given the following:

1.  He's from the Lehigh Valley

2.  Nearly 20 years invested with the Lehigh program as an Assistant/Head Coach

3.  Strong Lehigh roots:  Dad/Brother went to Lehigh

4.  He has the LVAC

5.  Facilities

6.  Strong recruiting base:  Lehigh Valley & Blair roots.  He's also got Buxton working at the LVAC

7.  Strong alumni support

8.  Rich wrestling history

9.  Arguably the next "premier" sport at the university after football

10.  I have to believe he is well compensated at Lehigh.  He had to have negotiated a nice deal when leaving Maryland

Edited by lu_alum

I find it hard to believe Santoro would leave Lehigh, given the following:

1. He's from the Lehigh Valley

2. Nearly 20 years invested with the Lehigh program as an Assistant/Head Coach

3. Strong Lehigh roots: Dad/Brother went to Lehigh

4. He has the LVAC

5. Facilities

6. Strong recruiting base: Lehigh Valley & Blair roots. He's also got Buxton working at the LVAC

7. Strong alumni support

8. Rich wrestling history

9. Arguably the next "premier" sport at the university after football

10. I have to believe he is well compensated at Lehigh. He had to have negotiated a nice deal when leaving Maryland

Unfortunately Strobel still holds the keys to the car and runs/controls all the camps and LVAC and calls a lot (too many??) of the shots. Other than that - I agree wholeheartedly with the above. There would have to be some serious frustrations up there on his part if he were to leave. I just don't see it happening. I'd love it, but don't see it.

I find it hard to believe that Santoro would leave. I also find it very hard to believe they are offering 300K/year. Keep what they have in place and bring in 1 or 2 great assistants. If they can continue to nab 1-2 PA studs per year, plus some of the Ohio kids...they will be an ACC contender. Pitt has some issues. Their basketball program is way down. They can't come close to filling that arena. Football has been solid, but it is a revolving door of coaches...plus no home stadium means 35-40K per game. They've lost numerous AD's. It just doesn't seem logical or practical that they are suddenly going to throw a ton of money at wrestling. With the talent available in their backyard, they can be a top 10 team.

Top rumor seems to be santoro and terry brands, heard Gavin was unlikely

Gavin wouldn't be a good choice imo. Hope it's Santoro or Brands for Pitt's sake. I'd love to see them rebuild and put together a great program again. 

Heard a rumor that someone on the eastern side of the state isn't happy with some older alums puppeteering everything......

Word on the street is that this eastern school is very interested in a certain Nebraska assistant originally from the area.  His initials are Bryan Snyder. 

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

Looks like Brad Wilson has been spending time on WR, home of alumni who would prefer to see (or believe) the following:

* Scheduling "traditional rivals" like Army and Navy is better than top five rivals that require travel outside the region.

* Avoiding the Scuffle because it is so grueling on the team & brings on injury

* Can't understand why Walter should be the post-season pick, even though he was more competitive against top tier competition AND beat Minotti straight up in a best-of-three wrestle-off

* Cannot accept the advantages that Cornell has with FLWC, and Ivy recruiting/eligibility/financial aid rules

* Believe that doing well at EIWA is more important than NCAA

Keep in mind these comments are largely coming from the stereotypical Lehigh fan that we all make fun of... Old, older, oldest.

Thanks, Brad Wilson, for helping to stir a pot that does not need to be stirred. I, for one, am a Lehigh Alum who realizes that Lehigh wrestling has a good thing going with Pat Santoro. I pray the old farts don't turn him into our version of Earle Bruce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk