Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Pitt coach

Article also states that Santoro told the Lehigh team that he won't go unless Pitt makes a significant financial commitment. I don't see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article also states that Santoro told the Lehigh team that he won't go unless Pitt makes a significant financial commitment. I don't see it happening.

I hope you're right but I have a feeling they will. If they're serious about wrestling, they're not going to hire a better coach and they probably realize it. Didn't someone post on a separate thread that the base is going to be $200K? I don't believe most of what I read on here but that sounded possible to me.

I have a feeling Pitt will meet his demands. I would be surprised if he is not named the Pitt coach in the next few days.

I hope you're right but I have a feeling they will. If they're serious about wrestling, they're not going to hire a better coach and they probably realize it. Didn't someone post on a separate thread that the base is going to be $200K? I don't believe most of what I read on here but that sounded possible to me.

Salary is one thing, but he stated financial commitment AND upgrade of facilities. If he's using Lehigh's facilities as a baseline, I don't see Pitt pulling it off. Does Pitt even have an RTC?

Pitt has the money - the question is whether it will be spent and what the additional financial commitments may be. Not only do they need to commit to a head coach salary but also a good budget for assistants. And facility upgrades.

Salary is one thing, but he stated financial commitment AND upgrade of facilities. If he's using Lehigh's facilities as a baseline, I don't see Pitt pulling it off. Does Pitt even have an RTC?

I could see them saying, we're going to pay you a bunch more for starters, and you have great job security as long as you keep the strippers away. You also won't have to deal with fans' expectations because ours have none. Then, poove to us you deserve a new facility and an RTC and we'll deliver.

How is that not a realistic and winning sales pitch?

Pitt has the money - the question is whether it will be spent and what the additional financial commitments may be. Not only do they need to commit to a head coach salary but also a good budget for assistants. And facility upgrades.

+1

Keep in mind that much of what Lehigh has been able to put forward from a funding standpoint has been through endowments (scholarships, coaching positions). The wrestling facility was created through alumni and other support contributions. Can Pitt really match that? Again, I don't think their alumni and/or fan base can pull it off.

They can absolutely pull it off - that was my comment about Pitt having money. It's whether they are committed to upgrading the athletics across the board (which we - the alumni - have been led to believe is the case). Stottlemyer was there forever and he operated under the radar for cheap. Peters was the "in waiting" guy and was had for cheap. The program just kinda ran and no one cared to push for upgrades (to personnel and facilities) until about a year ago, but we are now on our 3rd AD in 30 months, so there's been no consistency of commitment.

That said - they KNOW Santoro won't come cheap and they are bringing him in anyway. That's a huge first step in my mind. In the past when positions in other sports opened, top available names were not brought in b/c the potential price tag pushed the search elsewhere. I can't imagine in this situation that there would be many other names who would command a higher, or much higher, package than Santoro. So this says to me that they are putting their best foot forward. For once.

My 11 year old, who I've turned into an old Pitt fan already said "dad, we will find a way to screw this up, won't we"...... poor kid follows in his pops' footsteps too closely on all issues Pitt!

GuyuteThePig

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

My 11 year old, who I've turned into an old Pitt fan already said "dad, we will find a way to screw this up, won't we"...... poor kid follows in his pops' footsteps too closely on all issues Pitt!

that cracked me up.

whether it's Pat, Fat Kocher, Cary, Terry, or someone else, hope Pitt ends up with a good coach.  

This is not how endowments work. How much of that endowment was raised by wrestling alumni/wrestling supporters?

It's my understanding that money put into an endowment specifically for a sport can/should/will be used for that sport. If money is not specifically endowed to a program it goes into the general fund. That money can, in fact, make it to the team (via coaches salaries, facility upgrades, etc, but that certain criteria are met (satisfy title 9 and other balancing within the giving/receiving groups of the endowment. Does this sound about right?

When I give each month, I make certain that a set percentage goes to the wrestling program and the rest to the general endowment.

J Mitchell - HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

...we live in Dayton, O. The UD basketball coach just left to take the Indiana job....... was making around $2 million at UD, now around $4 million at IU,,,,,,,,,,,,, what the hell????...................

Coaching salaries are ridiculous. Of course - basketball coaches have to babysit a team of chucklehead kids. Wrestling coaches get the most dedicated and diehard kids in their sport

GuyuteThePig

HTP

I could see them saying, we're going to pay you a bunch more for starters, and you have great job security as long as you keep the strippers away. You also won't have to deal with fans' expectations because ours have none. Then, poove to us you deserve a new facility and an RTC and we'll deliver.

How is that not a realistic and winning sales pitch?

Because if they put up the money- they fans WILL have expectations. And telling someone to prove they earn the facilities upgrade is not the same as saying they'll do the upgrades.

Because if they put up the money- they fans WILL have expectations. And telling someone to prove they earn the facilities upgrade is not the same as saying they'll do the upgrades.

The expectations won't be the same as Lehigh fans', that's the point. I'm sure Santoro is not afraid of a challenge, so it was said tongue in cheek but, there's a big element of truth underpinning the comment.

It's my understanding that money put into an endowment specifically for a sport can/should/will be used for that sport. If money is not specifically endowed to a program it goes into the general fund. That money can, in fact, make it to the team (via coaches salaries, facility upgrades, etc, but that certain criteria are met (satisfy title 9 and other balancing within the giving/receiving groups of the endowment. Does this sound about right?

When I give each month, I make certain that a set percentage goes to the wrestling program and the rest to the general endowment.

J Mitchell - HTP

You are correct.  At all schools, with the exception of Notre Dame.

Edited by lu_alum

Yes. ND wrestling really got screwed.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-04-14/sports/9202030488_1_athletic-director-dick-rosenthal-mcgrew-wrestling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had 2 buddies set to go there and wrestle and then bada-bing, it's gone.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Actually, significant capital improvements (like a new or rennovated wrestling facility) are often funded via the endowment of the institution. If it were enough of an institutional priority, the president and trustees of the university would commit the necessary funds to build a championship wrestling program via the endowment irregardless of wrestling-specific fundraising.

This is, in fact, exactly how endowments work.