Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Pitt coach

Lehigh will be just fine without Santoro if he leaves. Lehigh is a top 10 coaching job. There will be massive interest if Santoro leaves. It might be one of the very few positions that Bryan Snyder, who went to school in the area, might actually take, to throw just one name out there.

Or maybe give John Hughes the opportunity.

+1

I very much want Santoro to remain at Lehigh. However, if he were to leave, I'd think Hughes would be pretty disappointed if he didn't get the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how much did Lehigh sweeten Santoro's deal today?

The way Santoro's comments read to me, I'm not sure whether it is was more of an annual salary thing or length of contract. Probably both, but I'd guess the decision was more heavily weighted toward the "long term" timeframe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

It also seems that Pitt wasn't prepared to make an offer...

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/good-article-on-the-wrestling-coach-search.110605/

Their fans don't sound happy. Now they are trying to talk themselves into the idea that they are better off if Flynn accepts the job.

Edited by lu_alum

It also seems that Pitt wasn't prepared to make an offer...

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/good-article-on-the-wrestling-coach-search.110605/

Their fans don't sound happy. Now they are trying to talk themselves into the idea that they are better off if Flynn accepts the job.

No need to gloat. And only a few over there are suggesting that Flynn might be a better choice (I'm sure a few here would make that argument). Personally - I wanted Pat. But you can't argue with Flynn's success at Edinboro with a heck of a lot less to work with than what's available at Lehigh. It was only a few short years ago that he had back-to-back top 5 finishes and was COTY (I know, I know - only b/c Cael or someone else wasnt eligible.....). His resume is pretty solid:

13-time PSAC Coach of the Year

7-time EWL Coach of the Year

89 PSAC Champions

55 EWL Champions

140 National Qualifiers

37 All-Americans

3 National Champions

I said before that I'd be happy with Santoro or Flynn. I wanted Santoro, but if we botched it with him, but still end up with Flynn - I'm ok with the end result. My concern is if we screw it up with both.

Just be happy you guys kept a great coach - no need to rub it in.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The real issue for us pitt guys is that it appears Santoro showed up wanting to be hired and Pitt screwed it up and he left with no offer. We all want "one of is" leading the program b/c it makes us feel as tho that provides more long term stability.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

The real issue for us pitt guys is that it appears Santoro showed up wanting to be hired and Pitt screwed it up and he left with no offer. We all want "one of is" leading the program b/c it makes us feel as tho that provides more long term stability.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Or, maybe Santoro really didn't want to move on, but used the situation as leverage to improve his situation at Lehigh?

Or, maybe Santoro really didn't want to move on, but used the situation as leverage to improve his situation at Lehigh?

From the people I talked to that doesn't sound like it's the case, but yes - could very well have been his ulterior motive.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

JM, do you feel that Flynn will be able to get the same type of kids into Pitt as he does Edinboro(academically speaking)?

I truly don't know the type of student at Edinboro - but I don't think that it's "anyone with a pulse" (or along those lines) as mentioned by someone else and Pitt is definitely harder to get into than some think - but I would think that he'd be able to get most of the kids in that he'd want. I don't know of any kid at the Boro that wouldn't have gotten into Pitt, PSU, MD, OSU, etc.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Here are a few of my additional thoughts on this situation...

1. If Santoro did want the job, then Pitt screwed up by not giving him a competitive offer. This does not bode well for the university's commitment to wrestling.

2. Flynn is an excellent coach and would be a great hire if they can land him (honestly not sure who would be better between him and Santoro). I think some are being a little overly critical of his recruiting ability given the school he is recruiting them to. He has had some great recruits despite the university not having a whole lot to offer academically... plus can you imagine the winters there!

3. Kocher and Headlee both seem like good guys who will make great coaches someday, but I don't think they are quite ready for the job that Pitt could be. They don't have the coaching reputation or the "star power" to bring in top notch recruits yet.

4. I am surprised Pitt did not go after some younger guys who would have that name recognition with high school wrestlers. I would've thought guys like Coleman Scott, Jake Herbert (both from the area), Varner, and even Burroughs would be on their radar (though I don't think Burroughs would want it). I'm not saying these guys would do better than a proven coach like Santoro or Flynn, but they may be worth a shot!

4. I am surprised Pitt did not go after some younger guys who would have that name recognition with high school wrestlers. I would've thought guys like Coleman Scott, Jake Herbert (both from the area), Varner, and even Burroughs would be on their radar (though I don't think Burroughs would want it). I'm not saying these guys would do better than a proven coach like Santoro or Flynn, but they may be worth a shot!

Taking someone with success as a competitor but without any coaching experience is kind of a Hail Mary that is typically only seen by programs with few options and limited resources so they are looking for a brand name that will make recruits that would have never considered the school give it some consideration.  

I am not convinced that those guys would really attract better recruits.  Pitt already gets top recruits. This is something that could be a boost to an EWL program or SoCon programs but a boost to recruiting at Pitt would put them into the upper echelons and I don't think an unproven staff with young brand name would do more to attract recruits (or their parents) from programs like Penn State, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, or even Cornell or Lehigh. 

Programs that are willing to gamble on a high risk hire will take a competitor with no coaching experience as a Head Coach but you don't see that from ACC teams.

Coleman is the only one with coaching experience and since he is just starting his term heading a conference foe the job would merely be a lateral.  

Here are a few of my additional thoughts on this situation...

1. If Santoro did want the job, then Pitt screwed up by not giving him a competitive offer. This does not bode well for the university's commitment to wrestling.

2. Flynn is an excellent coach and would be a great hire if they can land him (honestly not sure who would be better between him and Santoro). I think some are being a little overly critical of his recruiting ability given the school he is recruiting them to. He has had some great recruits despite the university not having a whole lot to offer academically... plus can you imagine the winters there!

3. Kocher and Headlee both seem like good guys who will make great coaches someday, but I don't think they are quite ready for the job that Pitt could be. They don't have the coaching reputation or the "star power" to bring in top notch recruits yet.

I agree with everything you say, and here are my thoughts:

1. I will say this - Santoro wanted the job. Pitt screwed it up - BIGtime. Without going into too much detail, the wheels were in motion to get Pat and he clearly stated what he was looking for and was told that his requests were reasonable and could most likely be met; then the new AD was hired and she had different thoughts on the direction of the search and "sandbagged" (not my words - but what others much closer to the situation than me have told me - she basically sandbagged it because she had others shed rather talk to....) the Santoro situation (for example, she canceled the initial interview and pushed it back and made him wait...). Then after the interview, it was basically - "thanks, we'll be in touch". There is a group that committed to (and remains committed to) contributing a significant amount on a yearly basis to get and retain a top coach, but no offer was made to Pat and no numbers were even discussed.

2. Ive mentioned a number of times in other posts that I agree with this completely.

3. No real response and I agree completely.

4. I dont think Coleman Scott is leaving UNC - there seems to be a new interest in kids going south.... Herbert doesn't have HC experience (or any college coaching experience), so not sure thats the jump we want to take, but you are correct - he's got a good local reputation and name recognition. And the kids love the mullet! I think Varner is married to the PSU group now and JB has been pretty clear in the past he doesn't want to go the coaching route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe she is thinking bigger than Flynn or Santoro and that is part of this delay as well.

"..........she basically sandbagged it because she had others shed rather talk to...."

Any hints as to who?  I know Roselli said no from the beginning and declined to interview, is she searching tOSU coaches?  Jaggers?