Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Pitt coach

Maybe she is thinking bigger than Flynn or Santoro and that is part of this delay as well.

"..........she basically sandbagged it because she had others shed rather talk to...."

Any hints as to who?  I know Roselli said no from the beginning and declined to interview, is she searching tOSU coaches?  Jaggers?

There was definitely a conversation with Roselli - Ive expressed many times that I dont think there is any way he leaves OU at this point.  I know of 2 other names for sure (that are not Flynn, Kocher or Headlee) - neither have HC experience, but are still pretty impressive.

Sounds like the new AD is embroiled in a clusterfck of her own creation. I can't believe neither Flynn nor Santoro is not hired yet. I don't know who they're waiting for, but I highly doubt they'll get anyone better than those two guys.

How so? Sounds like it would have cost millions to get Santoro.  Flynn might not be all that interested in a lateral move.

How so? Sounds like it would have cost millions to get Santoro.  Flynn might not be all that interested in a lateral move.

Because in Pitt's situation, hiring one of the assistants is... I'll be euphemistic... a "suboptimal" decision. There are exceptional coaches interested and the program has been flat out terrible given what it could be. New coaching blood is a requirement to turn things around. Maybe Santoro really was asking for a commitment in the millions, although that sounds wrong to me, but I doubt Flynn had the same ask. What's the excuse for not very seriously entertaining Flynn as a candidate?

Do you actually know anything, or are you speculating?

I'm not in the rooms when things are being discussed, but I'm not speculating (I will clearly state if something is my opinion or it's a speculation). A teammate of mine is very involved with both our alumni fund and with the PWC.

The Flynn thing happened over the last 24 hours and everyone I communicate with is at Flo Nationals right now, so I don't have direct confirmation that Flynn is out of the picture other than what was on Twitter from an Erie, PA sportswriter.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Because in Pitt's situation, hiring one of the assistants is... I'll be euphemistic... a "suboptimal" decision. There are exceptional coaches interested and the program has been flat out terrible given what it could be. New coaching blood is a requirement to turn things around. Maybe Santoro really was asking for a commitment in the millions, although that sounds wrong to me, but I doubt Flynn had the same ask. What's the excuse for not very seriously entertaining Flynn as a candidate?

I really like the current guys - but not as head coaches in this situation, so I agree with the "suboptimal" characterization. And it's not b/c they don't have true HC experience (I think there are plenty of assistants out there who would be great head coaches) - I just don't think they have the "it" factor to get the recruits we are missing on.

The excuse? Same as it was for Santoro - Mrs Lyke has her own ideas and her ideas did not include Pat/Tim at the top of the list.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

As much as I think a Santoro or Flynn hire would be great (I lean more towards Flynn), if I were an AD I would go for someone younger and not necessarily with HC experience (although I think someone like Nickerson would be interesting).

The reason? Long term employment and maybe a little cheaper with incentive based accomplishments which would definitely be the case in a Santoro hire because he would demand a much higher income.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't see why it is a mess or that she is limiting the search to in-house. Quite the opposite. Perhaps she is casting a wider net.

Heather Lyke was at Ohio State when Russ Hellickson was replaced by Tom Ryan.  She played a big role in that change.  Maybe she has a specific candidate in mind?  

Yep.  And this has been been discussed quite a bit in these forums.  Her connection to Ryan is one of the things that slowed the process with Santoro and ultimately led to him recommitting to Lehigh.

How so?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Not sure which part you are asking about, so I will give as complete an answer as I can. When Lyke was an assistant AD at tOSU, she was tasked with hiring a new wrestling coach, and she recommended Tom Ryan. We know how that has gone.

With the Pitt situation, there was/is a university committee (as there always is) and also a wrestling alumni group that worked on making recommendations. The top 2 candidates recommended were Santoro and Flynn and these recommendations were made based on due diligence being done to be certain that the candidates in question were actually interested and that the proper packages could be offered. These recommendations, and the Santoro interview being set, was accomplished prior to Lyke being hired. Once she was hired, she put everything on hold, delayed Santoro's interview, put off Flynn's interview and pursued her own avenues for a coach, which included reaching out to Ryan.

This obviously had a ripple affect. The news had already broken that Santoro was coming for an interview so when it was delayed, that opened the door for for Pat to receive commitments from Lehigh that made him comfortable and decide to stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure which part you are asking about, so I will give as complete an answer as I can. When Lyke was an assistant AD at tOSU, she was tasked with hiring a new wrestling coach, and she recommended Tom Ryan. We know how that has gone.

With the Pitt situation, there was/is a university committee (as there always is) and also a wrestling alumni group that worked on making recommendations. The top 2 candidates recommended were Santoro and Flynn and these recommendations were made based on due diligence being done to be certain that the candidates in question were actually interested and that the proper packages could be offered. These recommendations, and the Santoro interview being set, was accomplished prior to Lyke being hired. Once she was hired, she put everything on hold, delayed Santoro's interview, put off Flynn's interview and pursued her own avenues for a coach, which included reaching out to Ryan.

This obviously had a ripple affect. The news had already broken that Santoro was coming for an interview so when it was delayed, that opened the door for for Pat to receive commitments from Lehigh that made him comfortable and decide to stay.

Wait, she tried to get Tom Ryan?!?

Also, thanks for the thorough answer.

Wait, she tried to get Tom Ryan?!?

Also, thanks for the thorough answer.

Ha! No (sorry I wasn't clear!) - she reached out to Ryan for recommendations for coaches, etc. Look - I dont blame her for doing that - its just that Pitt always finds a way to shoot ourselves in the foot in these situations. There is an opportunity here, and we (the Pitt alum/fans) dont want to lose it.

Maybe she will do a very thorough review of all possible candidates and nail the hire (like she did getting Ryan to tOSU), but our track record with handling hirings in ALL sports isnt awe-inspiring!

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

You may be overthinking this.

I wasn't positive when Pat was going to talk to Pitt so it might have been delayed a few days but she had only just been hired anyway.

I'm not trying to speak for Pat, of course, but any delay didn't have any effect on any talks with Lehigh. They were happening in any event.

He had told the Lehigh team that (this is how I read the statement- and remember I have brown eyes) he wasn't likely to go unless they made a significant gesture- possibly more with facilities upgrades than for him personally.

I was speaking to someone out this way (not a Lehigh person) and told him that it would probably take longer to hear he was taking the job than that he would stay. That might be a Captain Obvious statement but it turned out to be true.

Im not overthinking it - those are the facts as I know them.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

By overthinking I mean you're assuming the delay had more of an effect than it did.

I take your word about the delay, I was a little surprised that the interview was Tuesday- I had been given the impression it was to be the previous Thursday. But I wasn't sure one way or the other so didn't give it much thought. But I also knew that the Lehigh meeting was already in the picture and knew the statement that Pat made to the team and other statements that I heard ascribed to him that didn't make me think he was doing the Pitt interview with the primary intent of taking the job. Again, not trying to get into his head here. I was on my way to help run Va Beach for that whirlwind of a weekend so heard a few things then and if you know the staff there- it does involve other Lehigh people and a lot of Lehigh Valley people but to be clear- we were pretty busy so didn't talk about it that much.