Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Pitt coach

Ok - sorry I misunderstood. That said - it clearly provided the crack for Lehigh to put its best foot forward and the Pitt sdmin didn't do much to help the situation.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GuyuteThePig

HTP

FWIW-and I am noooooo expert--

I am not sure if Pitt is really offering what it Really Really takes (and what it is Really worth) for these 2 great coaches, in this phase of their lives and  careers to leave their current positions, and I am Not convinced it is Lyke's fault.  Actually not sure it even matters whose fault it is.

Santoro has some great things going at LH.  Uprooting his wife and family can be big.  Flynn the same thing---Boro may have some tough PSAC financial pieces going on but in many ways there are so many pluses at the Boro for him and his team...... and He IS SOOOOO Successful there!!!!  He has designed the Blueprint of how to do it!!  -it should take a LOT to pull him outta there and I don't think, or I question IF pitt really offered him enough to uproot fwiw.   Same with Pat Santoro.

Maybe blame it on Iowa State?  What they gave Dresser is giving these other coaches leverage.    I dunno.  But some of these institutions are driving the salary's  and I honestly think it could be hurting the sport in the big picture.   These great coaches are worth every penny for sure but it may be hurting the sport in the long run.

Also, obviously Boro alumni and All Americans stepped up for the coach they love-Congrats to them all (and the asst.s!)  SO Well deserved!!!  And happy for them to continue.  Doing More with Less is not often respected or elevated in our current society but it is more than admirable! 

Wresting cosches making more does NOT hurt the sport. It helps it. If the smaller schools can't afford the Flynns of the world, well, there is no shortage of qualified coaches who would love to step in. Having more salary in the coaching economy is a good thing, even if it is concentrated at the top of the ability ladder, as with most things in life.

Wresting cosches making more does NOT hurt the sport. It helps it. If the smaller schools can't afford the Flynns of the world, well, there is no shortage of qualified coaches who would love to step in. Having more salary in the coaching economy is a good thing, even if it is concentrated at the top of the ability ladder, as with most things in life.

Absolutely.  There are always guys who will take lower paying jobs.  Some will be successful and earn higher paying jobs.  Some will not.  But certain schools getting priced out of hiring guys away from other schools is not a thing that hurts the sport as a whole.

Maybe blame it on Iowa State?  What they gave Dresser is giving these other coaches leverage.    I dunno.  But some of these institutions are driving the salary's  and I honestly think it could be hurting the sport in the big picture.   These great coaches are worth every penny for sure but it may be hurting the sport in the long run. 

This is actually a really good point and there are a lot of parallels between ISU and Pitt at this point in time. Both in wrestling meccas, both a ton of potential to be great but stuck behind an in-state competitor (or multiples in Pitt's case), and both programs starting to slip a bit. If I were looking at the Pitt job, I'd be using Dresser's package as a benchmark. 

.......If I were looking at the Pitt job, I'd be using Dresser's package as a benchmark.....

This is a big reason why I think Santoro and Flynn are staying put-they did use Dresser's package as a benchmark and Pitt didn't even come close.  Of course they are not leaving for that!  If Pitt really wants to make a mark and improve their wrestling program they are going to need to be offering these guys much more than $225,000.  Offer either of them $300,000 and I bet they would have gone.

Now with who they are looking to hire they can maybe stay around $225, if that's where they want to be-

100% disagree that demanding better and more competitive salaries is hurting the sport, or could hurt it.

One of the main issues I think holding back the sport is that coaching at any level isn't lucrative enough to hold top talent.

MMA and other endeavors pay much better.

I for one am glad that this is an issue and that a school like Pitt seems to be at a crossroads.

You lose quality coaches when you don't pony up the money to pay them what they are worth.

When my alma mater needed a coach to replace a great coach that had done it for many years but moved on into higher level college admin, I was asked if I was interested, which I was.  I was interested until I heard I would be taking a 15 thousand dollar pay cut.

Any news on new possible candidates? I was away from a computer all weekend and just saw Santoro and Flynn are both out and it seems like a real mess is brewing. (Also just found out Pitt's best basketball player is transferring and the basketball team is now an even bigger mess than the wrestling team) Very sad times for Pitt sports fans. I need some good news.

.......If I were looking at the Pitt job, I'd be using Dresser's package as a benchmark.....

This is a big reason why I think Santoro and Flynn are staying put-they did use Dresser's package as a benchmark and Pitt didn't even come close.  Of course they are not leaving for that!  If Pitt really wants to make a mark and improve their wrestling program they are going to need to be offering these guys much more than $225,000.  Offer either of them $300,000 and I bet they would have gone.

Now with who they are looking to hire they can maybe stay around $225, if that's where they want to be-

$225k is more than Cael's current base salary...

$225k is more than Cael's current base salary...

Base salaries are typically much lower for coaches at programs where they are expected to produce right away.

For instance, Brands made $345,000 in 2015 from Iowa (not including summer camps and academic performance bonuses) but his base salary for the year was $160,000.

These bonus heavy structures are put in place to be a check against a successful program's decline.   If the program doesn't perform, the coach doesn't make much but if the program is successful, they are able to make a lot more money.  It is also used as a way to make coaching contracts look like they are worth less so it doesn't look like athletic programs are over spending.

On the other hand, coaches that are entering into rebuilding situations or ones that are expected to take some time are given larger guarantees.  This is done to attract the candidate despite the known roadblocks and to communicate to the hire that they are committed to getting the program turned around.

Cael's base salary of $175,000 is meaningless, to me...

This is actually a really good point and there are a lot of parallels between ISU and Pitt at this point in time. Both in wrestling meccas, both a ton of potential to be great but stuck behind an in-state competitor (or multiples in Pitt's case), and both programs starting to slip a bit. If I were looking at the Pitt job, I'd be using Dresser's package as a benchmark.

Except that ISU made up their mind who they wanted and went out and got him. They made it happen. I can't believe that ISU has more cash than Pitt in the athletic department. They seem like very similar schools in overall athletic performance and support. I could be wrong.

GuyuteThePig

HTP

Base salaries are typically much lower for coaches at programs where they are expected to produce right away.

For instance, Brands made $345,000 in 2015 from Iowa (not including summer camps and academic performance bonuses) but his base salary for the year was $160,000.

These bonus heavy structures are put in place to be a check against a successful program's decline.   If the program doesn't perform, the coach doesn't make much but if the program is successful, they are able to make a lot more money.  It is also used as a way to make coaching contracts look like they are worth less so it doesn't look like athletic programs are over spending.

On the other hand, coaches that are entering into rebuilding situations or ones that are expected to take some time are given larger guarantees.  This is done to attract the candidate despite the known roadblocks and to communicate to the hire that they are committed to getting the program turned around.

Cael's base salary of $175,000 is meaningless, to me...

You are absolutely right. I know Cael made way more than his base salary. My point is that 225 is still a huge salary no matter how you look at it. I believe it would be second only to Dresser, right? So even if there's no bonuses, I think that is pretty good incentive to get a quality coach. It also adds that security knowing their livelihood is not based on performance which would make the job more appealing.