Sign in to follow this  
nom

Not sure why but this season seems more dull

Just have a general feeling that the lead up to NCAAs this past week has been somewhat flat.  Less excitement, less debate.  Here are some thoughts on potential reasons:

1.  Too many undefeated guys that seem like pretty heavy favorites to win their weight class.   Less uncertainty.  Less debate.  Gilman, Tomasello, Heil, Retherford, Nolf, Martinez, Dean, Cox, Snyder .... all have proven their capabilities during the season.  174 is pretty interesting with Bo Jordan coming back strong, the walking headline in Mark Hall, and Valencia leading the pack.  But all in all, too many strong locks.

2.  An ultimate clash between particular wrestlers seems to be lacking.  Dean / Nickel was interesting but Nickal's loss to Martin and pretty close match vs Dudley (until the third period throw) makes it look less appealing.  No Dake/Taylor or Snyder / Gwiz.

3.  Iowa isn't in the hunt for the title (at least with good odds) -- Iowa tends to bring out passions on both sides.  Good for the sport.

4.  Penn State is AGAIN in the drivers seat -- gets a little old.

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested and excited for the event.  But something is lacking in the hype.

Every year it seems, brackets get busted ..... I expect it will happen again.  But ... for now, too calm.

As  Nebraska fan, I can see 6 guys in the round of 12.  Hoping most/all make the podium.  Might not have a lot of high placements,  but should have the most AAs for NU for a number of years. 

I was just thinking about this but on a different level. Since the consensus is that the undefeated #1's are loosely favored, why not take all of them out and discuss how it would play out. No Snyder, Nolf, Gilman or other #1.

The best part about it is how the team race tightens. Enter Iowa and VT.

Edited by unbiased

Just have a general feeling that the lead up to NCAAs this past week has been somewhat flat.  Less excitement, less debate.  Here are some thoughts on potential reasons:

1.  Too many undefeated guys that seem like pretty heavy favorites to win their weight class.   Less uncertainty.  Less debate.  Gilman, Tomasello, Heil, Retherford, Nolf, Martinez, Dean, Cox, Snyder .... all have proven their capabilities during the season.  174 is pretty interesting with Bo Jordan coming back strong, the walking headline in Mark Hall, and Valencia leading the pack.  But all in all, too many strong locks.

2.  An ultimate clash between particular wrestlers seems to be lacking.  Dean / Nickel was interesting but Nickal's loss to Martin and pretty close match vs Dudley (until the third period throw) makes it look less appealing.  No Dake/Taylor or Snyder / Gwiz.

3.  Iowa isn't in the hunt for the title (at least with good odds) -- Iowa tends to bring out passions on both sides.  Good for the sport.

4.  Penn State is AGAIN in the drivers seat -- gets a little old.

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested and excited for the event.  But something is lacking in the hype.

Every year it seems, brackets get busted ..... I expect it will happen again.  But ... for now, too calm.

I hear you, but have to respectfully disagree.  Yes, it could be considered that there are many more "locks" for titles this year than in years past but I do think there are plenty of story lines.  For one, the team race has a chance to be really close and involving 3 teams, especially if Suriano is not healthy.  Also, there are multiple weight classes that are going to be absolute pandemonium...133, 141, 174, 184.  

Then you have some pretty key match-ups that could come to fruition.  Also, can Gilman finally get that elusive title? Can Dance get back on the podium, maybe even on top over Gilman (doubt that happens).  Can Dean be stopped? A Nickal-Dean match would still be great clash of styles no matter that Nickal took a loss.   How about Heil? Can he continue to survive the way he does or can a guy like Kevin Jack, who's wrestling as well as anyone in the country end Heil's run?

There are others as well.  Maybe I just love this time of year too much, but there are lot of things to get pumped up about.

Maybe because last year was so good.

1.   Olympic year and Snyder becomes "youngest world champion in United States history" and then renounces redshirt to take on Gwiz

2.   Nolf vs Imar rivalry...nothing this year comes close

3.   St Louis is a good venue but.....Madison Square garden is on a whole other level. 

4.   doesn't mean it won't be as good or better than last year......just a lot less hype beforehand.

5.   Wrestling is an individual sport, so matchups between stars is what it is all about. If the best thing you have to hang your hat on is the team race..then maybe something is missing.

I thought this was a very exciting year and can't wait until Thursday! So many exciting underclassmen in the running for the podium including a few freshman.

Team race is certainly up for grabs by at least both OSU's and PSU. In order to win this thing there will be little room for error from any of them.

I'm also looking forward to watching some of the upcoming teams like North and South Dakota. Lots of potential there.

Way to be a killjoy.

You assume PSU is in the drivers seat yet they didn't even win their own conference.  

I have an opinion on that exchange :

After PSU wins the NCAA tourney--- and prior to the presentation of awards-- does the committee first ask 'did you win your conference tournament' ? 

I focus on the individuals more than the teams when it comes to this tournament. I expect PSU to win.

Whether PSU wins or OK State wins is less interesting to me than if Nickal or Dean wins. Or Heil vs Jack. Or Martinez vs Massa.

Perhaps that is my issue. Too many clear favorites on individual level.

Glad to hear I'm on an island with this feeling of it being less exciting than the past. I shouldn't have used the word 'dull'. .... it is not dull. Just doesn't have that 'holy crap, what's gonna happen!?' energy to it. For me at least.

If the rest of the NCAA field does not catch up and start wrestling wide open and aggressive like PSU, you will just continue to see more of the same for years to come. I for one am hoping PSU dominance changes college wrestling from watching 2 guys grab each other wrist for 7 minutes to all out attacking for 7 minutes

Well technically I think OP was pretty accurate on points 2-4.

Nickal beating Dean was a surprise but it wasn't a very exciting match.

The biggest thing was just the upsets, where 4 of the 9 "heavy favorites" lost. Although regarding Iowa, Iowa was involved in 2 of those 4.