Sign in to follow this  
Cheap_Tilt

Real life lessons you learned through wrestling

"In the real world Goliath kicks David's butt 99% of the time."

The faster, stronger, smarter, slicker wrestler defeats the lesser so wrestler almost every time barring a fluke. Same applies to facets of the real world off the mat.

Mental toughness. How to deal with pain and suck it up. Right after my wrestling career ended I was diagnosed with a very, painful, and life threatening disease that I am still dealing with after 4 surgeries. Had I not wrestled I have no doubt I would be dead.

Balls usually get you much farther than brains.

Except that you need the brains to know when to have the balls to do something. Because mindlessly pushing yourself can be an exercise in futility e.g. using all your strength to try to exit through the "IN" door will mostly just result in wasting a lot of energy and time, not to mention possibly injuring yourself.

Work smart, not hard.

And: I'm no physician or medical expert but I think pushing through pain - actual pain, not just minor aches - is probably a good way to permanently injure yourself, so the next match....or the rest of your life.....will be relatively less successful since your body's performance will be reduced. Wrestling is something I do for fun - I'll leave physical sacrifices like that for actual wars or other truly important/long-range endeavors.

IMHO.

Pain does stop... eventually. :roll: Sometimes ya just gotta push through it.

(Oddly enough, that lesson did more to prepare me for college, and life beyond, than anything I ever learned in the classroom! :ugeek: )

A lot of things taught in school don't seem to help one through life, but just the act of learning those seemingly useless facts, even if you don't remember them, like how trees grow and why certain civilizations collapsed helped you to learn HOW to think, and how to think in different ways (what if only one type of takedown was allowed in wrestling?!). Sure, there's lot of people that never attended college or even high school that are successful, but if you check their background, I bet they will have lots of varied experiences that also helped them to learn to think.

1. Life is not fair

2. The harder & smarter you work is no guarantee that you will go to the top of a fortune 500 company.

3. Most CEO's of major corporations are very soft unlike most wrestlers and they do not like individuals that are hard working and tough. They want to surround themselves with other soft individuals that are yes people.

4. It's difficult not to pack on the pounds after you reach the age of 50+ because your body will not allow you to workout like you did when you were younger.

5. Most wrestlers will give someone the shirt off their back if the individual is an honest and hard working individual.

Because mindlessly pushing yourself can be an exercise in futility e.g. using all your strength to try to exit through the "IN" door will mostly just result in wasting a lot of energy and time, not to mention possibly injuring yourself.

Most people think that exact way, which is why they dont even try in the first place, and its the biggest reason why guys will think their way right out of getting laid.

Pain does stop... eventually. :roll: Sometimes ya just gotta push through it.

(Oddly enough, that lesson did more to prepare me for college, and life beyond, than anything I ever learned in the classroom! :ugeek: )

A lot of things taught in school don't seem to help one through life, but just the act of learning those seemingly useless facts, even if you don't remember them, like how trees grow and why certain civilizations collapsed helped you to learn HOW to think, and how to think in different ways (what if only one type of takedown was allowed in wrestling?!). Sure, there's lot of people that never attended college or even high school that are successful, but if you check their background, I bet they will have lots of varied experiences that also helped them to learn to think.

Effort is the single most overrated trait in predicting success. People rank it as a best predictor of success when in reality it is one of the least significant factors. Effort, by itself, is a terrible predictor of outcomes because inefficient effort is a tremendous source of discouragement, leaving people to conclude that they can never succeed since expending maximum effort has not produced results.

Except that you need the brains to know when to have the balls to do something. Because mindlessly pushing yourself can be an exercise in futility e.g. using all your strength to try to exit through the "IN" door will mostly just result in wasting a lot of energy and time, not to mention possibly injuring yourself.

Work smart, not hard.

And: I'm no physician or medical expert but I think pushing through pain - actual pain, not just minor aches - is probably a good way to permanently injure yourself, so the next match....or the rest of your life.....will be relatively less successful since your body's performance will be reduced. Wrestling is something I do for fun - I'll leave physical sacrifices like that for actual wars or other truly important/long-range endeavors.

IMHO.

Effort is the single most overrated trait in predicting success. People rank it as a best predictor of success when in reality it is one of the least significant factors. Effort, by itself, is a terrible predictor of outcomes because inefficient effort is a tremendous source of discouragement, leaving people to conclude that they can never succeed since expending maximum effort has not produced results.

It's a Venn diagram. Many people who try real hard will always suck and many people who succeed will try real hard. I'll go with "born with it" any day of the week at the high school level. I bet I can think of 100 high school state champs who never had to attend a practice to win a championship, just born with it, but that philosophy didn't play at the collegiate level. At least 99 of them ended up on the couch, bong in one hand, controller in the other, and COD on the TV.

Work ethic and self-discipline are whatbyou get from wrestling.

I think learning to deal with adversity is one thing that sets wrestlers apart from the team sport athletes. When they lose they can blame itbon someone else. When wrestler loses he has to try to battle back one hour later to start towards taking 3rd.

Working hard has nothing to do with big balls. A high percentage of the people in the real world who have unusually high success got from taking big risks more so than just blasting out calories. Whether that risk be financial, physical, emotional, or social, it is still a risk.

Wrestling, over any other sport I ever did, forced me to be comfortable with grabbing my nuts and jumping, knowing that if I did fail, I could work enough to try again. Most people in real life just go with the flow, never taking extraordinary risk, never gaining extraordinary success.

The score rarely tells the tale but it does show who won.

5 seconds is enough time to effect outcomes.

Keeping calm in adversity is key to a successful finish

High performance does not necessarily indicate an ability to teach technique

Understanding physical science is a possible key to successful wrestling

It is more important to know how a person interprets the rules than the rules themselves

Age and experience ,at some point or in most endeavors, does not imply knowledge or wisdom.