Sign in to follow this  
Feedus

Most Champions in a Season

I think you might have to hit the wrestling historian for that answer.

Without going to any great effort towards reseasch..... I think i read somewhere it was 5 .. OK State...

School Totals

By School 1928 - 2012

Oklahoma State 134

Iowa 79

Going back to 1990, ANYONE ELSE FEEL FREE TO RESEARCH BEFORE THAT, the most has been 5 undefeated champs. It happened alot. 2011,2010, 2001, 1999, 1997, 1994, 1993, 1992 and 1991 all had 5 undefeated champs. The least during that span was 2008 when Keith Gavin was the only undefeated champ.

That list is of NCAA champs who were undefeated throughout their entire college careers.

Your statement cannot be correct since some (example: Joe Gonzales) wrestled three or four years, but only had one national title.

You're right, only the first 20 entries are career undefeated NCAA champs - they are listed with their NCAA D-I career records. I'm not sure what Jay was intending with the remaining entries (they show 0-0 records). As fullnelson pointed out, it isn't a complete list of undefeated national champions, which you originally claimed. (Gable, Kemp, Simons, and others are omitted.)

I'm not even sure all the others had undefeated championship seasons. For example, Mark Kerr (listed just under Gonzales) is showing 3 losses the year he won his only title (link below). I didn't check the others, however, so they may all have had at least 1 undefeated year. But, again, it's not an exhaustive list. Maybe Jay can clarify his intent.

http://wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/view_wrestlers.php?wrestler=2318

In 1969, 8 of the 11 NCAA champs had perfect records. My records are by no means complete, but that is the season with the most undefeated, untied champs.

As for what is on the website, my major health issues for the last 14 months have prevented me from doing major updates and enhancements.

In 1969, 8 of the 11 NCAA champs had perfect records. My records are by no means complete, but that is the season with the most undefeated, untied champs.

As for what is on the website, my major health issues for the last 14 months have prevented me from doing major updates and enhancements.

Sending thoughts your way ... Jay. Wishing you a solid recovery.

I can't tell you how many times I use your book, and Website for data. And as I've mentioned B/4, Dad is still reminiscent about his buddies from Iowa Teachers ... "Back in the Day"