Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Best Coaches DI

Which one of these guys, if they are that good, would be able to tackle the mess at Indiana and make them a contender? I mean each one of these top coaches bring something a little different to the coaching table, and are threrefor able to be successful at their schools, but i'm not so sure that means each would be able to bring Indiana into a top 5 contender. This is just for discussion.

I agree. Success does depend on fit. I had a decent run coaching HS but the school and community was made for me. There were definitely schools where I would of had a difficult time. The same is true for the group listed. Not sure that Brands would be able to deal with the intricacies of recruiting at a service academy or even an Ivy. Fact is, all of these men and many others not mentioned are excellent coaches!

Which one of these guys, if they are that good, would be able to tackle the mess at Indiana and make them a contender? I mean each one of these top coaches bring something a little different to the coaching table, and are threrefor able to be successful at their schools, but  i'm not so sure that means each would be able to bring Indiana into a top 5 contender. This is just for discussion.

Unfortunately, I think IU's problems may start with the AD.

Koll and Flynn are ahead of Sanderson because of how much they do with so little.

I get a kick out of anyone saying Ivy league teams, especially Cornell, do so well with so little.  Our schools can give out more need-based aid than fully-funded programs give out in scholarships, and the wrestler keeps the aid if he quits the sport.  Plus, the Friedman Center is one of the best wrestling facilities in the country, period.

Sure, there are some kids our schools can't recruit because of admissions standards, but don't make them out to be more than they are.

I get a kick out of anyone saying Ivy league teams, especially Cornell, do so well with so little. Our schools can give out more need-based aid than fully-funded programs give out in scholarships, and the wrestler keeps the aid if he quits the sport. Plus, the Friedman Center is one of the best wrestling facilities in the country, period.

Sure, there are some kids our schools can't recruit because of admissions standards, but don't make them out to be more than they are.

On top of that there is no Professional Wrestling after college so you'd think kids would want to go Ivey is possible because it opens up more doors for after school.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I been amazed at what Flynn can do with such a small school, cold weather with lake effect, small campus. Seems to pull a little from NY, Ohio, PA . Usually not the highest ranked kids coming out of High school , they do develop!

Other great coaches as well, but have to root for the little guy!

Frank C

He's a top 10 coach, but until he wins an NCAA title, you can't compare him to Brands/Ryan/Sanderson/Smith.  

Actually - he's coached 14 individual champs, I think that's as many as Cael, and a few more than Brands and Ryan?  I think that's a valid basis for comparison!

After getting thru these posts I've come to the conclusion that there actually a decent number of good coaches in the NCAA right now. There have been about 20 names thrown around and with only 76 NCAA DI schools - that's more than 25% of the schools with coaches that people are arguing /debating about being top 10 caliber coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a kick out of anyone saying Ivy league teams, especially Cornell, do so well with so little.  Our schools can give out more need-based aid than fully-funded programs give out in scholarships, and the wrestler keeps the aid if he quits the sport.  Plus, the Friedman Center is one of the best wrestling facilities in the country, period.

But do the Ivy league scholarships have the same academic standards and were you a recipient of some of these need-based aid or did a friend of a friend tell you this? They can probably only recruit about half if not less of the wrestling population coming out of high school. 

They can probably only recruit about half if not less of the wrestling population coming out of high school.

Try 1/5 at best even with relaxed academic standards for truly elite talent (your run of the mill 1X state champ of an average state is not getting the 20% "discount" on his academic requirements), and a lot closer to 1/10 for Harvard and Princeton.

It's also not just about getting them in but keeping them productive in both the mat and the classroom.

However, the need-based aid is a good replacement for scholarships but it really depends on the school and the individual situation.

Koll dealing with Ivy league parameters(even though there are alternative ways to get into Cornell, i.e. Ag School) makes him in the top ten, but Cael is #1, then Tommy Ryan at #2, John Smith at #3, Kevin Dresser at #4, Koll #5, Popolizio #6, Brands #7, Flynn #8, Santoro, #9, ...#10...

The Cornell Ag school is no easy path to admission.  You write nonsense.  Cael has it easy at PSU, by contrast.

Edited by hotspur

More nonsense.  Non-Ivies can buy blue-chippers because coaches can pay whatever it takes to get them, regardless of need.  Can't be done at Ivies.

The Friedman Center is a credit to Koll.  It didn't appear as a creation of Mother Nature.

Ivy schools have League-enforced admission standards.  Big 10, etc., can take whomever they choose without having to answer to anyone.  Your posting is utterly uninformed and smacks of envy.

Hard to believe some of the nonsense on this thread.

More nonsense.  Non-Ivies can buy blue-chippers because coaches can pay whatever it takes to get them, regardless of need.  Can't be done at Ivies.

The Friedman Center is a credit to Koll.  It didn't appear as a creation of Mother Nature.

Ivy schools have League-enforced admission standards.  Big 10, etc., can take whomever they choose without having to answer to anyone.  Your posting is utterly uninformed and smacks of envy.

Hard to believe some of the nonsense on this thread.

Penn C'93.  Four-year wrestler.

I got 80% of my tuition comped in need-based aid.  And, I'm pretty well aware of admissions standards for normal students (I conduct prospective student interviews) and athletes at both my school and the rest of the Ivies.  We can't admit everybody, but we can admit a lot more students than you think, including a lot of the top kids at a lot of the top wrestling schools.

Hard to believe some of the nonsense on this thread...

Is the kid who got 5th a better wrestler than the champ because he overcame more or had less natural talent? No. He is a good story and a worse wrestler.

The guy who wins more than everyone else combined is the best coach.

So making a blue chip recruit a national champion or high AA is more impressive than a nobody making the podium? Remember this is about "coaching". Most blue chips know just about everything they need to know before college.

Penn C'93.  Four-year wrestler.

I got 80% of my tuition comped in need-based aid.  And, I'm pretty well aware of admissions standards for normal students (I conduct prospective student interviews) and athletes at both my school and the rest of the Ivies.  We can't admit everybody, but we can admit a lot more students than you think, including a lot of the top kids at a lot of the top wrestling schools.

Hard to believe some of the nonsense on this thread...

Exactly. From the outside, getting into the ivies and graduating seems difficult...When you're actually there, you see the flexibility they give to many for admissions (athletes, children of big donors, etc), as well as the controls that are in place to make sure people graduate (generous curves, majors of various difficulties). It is also depends significantly on the sport.  With that said, some of the student athletes at the ivies/stanford/big ten are really amazing students and are balancing extremely difficult class and practice schedules.  Amuchastegui is the most recent example that comes to mind.  

Cornell has some disadvantages when it comes to recruiting, but also has advantages (as has been mentioned in this thread).

Edited by Billyhoyle

So making a blue chip recruit a national champion or high AA is more impressive than a nobody making the podium? Remember this is about "coaching". Most blue chips know just about everything they need to know before college.

Yes it is.  All the top schools get blue chippers every year and most of those guys never become national champs.  In fact, guys who already 'know everything before college" are usually the toughest to coach (and they definitely don't know everything before college).  

But it's funny you pretend like the 2nd tier guys are the only ones coaching up unheralded recruits.  Cael has had plenty of unheralded guys come through and succeed (Conway, English, Matt Brown).  Same with John Smith (Boyd, Weigel, Schafer just this year).  But that doesn't fit the narrative that the guy finishing top 20 out of 75 is the best coach in the country.

With that said, some of the student athletes at the ivies/stanford/big ten are really amazing students and are balancing extremely difficult class and practice schedules.  

Adam Coon is studying aerospace engineering at Michigan.  Many of the Nittany Lion starters are on the honor roll.  Spencer Lee had Penn and Stanford on his consideration list.

There are great students and great wrestlers everywhere.  I'd love to see more of them in the Ivy League.

Adam Coon is studying aerospace engineering at Michigan. Many of the Nittany Lion starters are on the honor roll. Spencer Lee had Penn and Stanford on his consideration list.

There are great students and great wrestlers everywhere. I'd love to see more of them in the Ivy League.

Michael Kemmerer chose Iowa over Harvard.

But in general, the Ivy wrestlers are the meaningfully more academically accomplished bunch (not exactly a news flash, I know). There are outliers everywhere, of course, but we're talking about the average recruiting pool being smaller for Ivies. It is. Substantially. I have experience working for an elite university with wrestling and you are making it seem like getting athletes into the top academic schools is not that big a deal. It's a big deal relative to the rest of the world. Any Ivy coach would love to be able to ignore academic merit when recruting. But none can.

Edited by wrestlingnerd