Sign in to follow this  
Warren_Haynes

Suriano OUT!!!

And if he really is out this is exactly why the INJ Default / MFF issue at the qualifying tournament needs to be fixed. We've seen twice when an at large bid went 2 & BBQ at the big dance and now this one can't even start.

And if he really is out this is exactly why the INJ Default / MFF issue at the qualifying tournament needs to be fixed. We've seen twice when an at large bid went 2 & BBQ at the big dance and now this one can't even start.

Yep

Exactly. Michigan pulled Murphy early so that someone else on the bubble got in; at this point I don't think the brackets can change so there is a potential qualifier sitting on the couch.

Ditto.  Cheats another kid of the shot--not like this injury happened yesterday.  Selfish.

Man. Feel terrible for him. 

It imagine it is too late to reseed. They would need to add an additional qualifier the day before, which means getting that competitor out there and get them on weight. 

If PSU knew this was likely, they should have pulled him a earlier. Isn't fair at all to wait this long. With that said, they may really not have known until today.

Either way, this is not Suriano's fault. He will be a title contender for the next three years.

Nobody got cheated. He earned a spot based on the current qualifying criteria. If PSU had known he definitely couldn't go, they would have pulled him before the replacement deadline. You don't pull a wrestler when you still believe he might be able to compete. I'm more concerned with making sure the 3rd seed has every chance to compete than I am for helping the 34th best guy get his chance to go 0-2.

Nobody got cheated. He earned a spot based on the current qualifying criteria. If PSU had known he definitely couldn't go, they would have pulled him before the replacement deadline. You don't pull a wrestler when you still believe he might be able to compete. I'm more concerned with making sure the 3rd seed has every chance to compete than I am for helping the 34th best guy get his chance to go 0-2.

It changes WAAAAY more than that.  They re-seed besides bringing in an alternate.  So instead of the unseeded guy being lucky enough to get a bye, the field evens out.  And don't act like you know for sure what PSU knew or didn't know........

I'm not a Penn State fan, but I think Cael and Suriano have every right to be selfish. College sports is a business.

You'd think that Cael used up all of that right when he screwed up national duals.

Tough to fault Cael for not pulling the trigger sooner.  If you have a potential AA wrestler who is injured and trying to get well before the tournament, of course you are going to give him and the medical staff the maximum amount of time possible to say he's good to go, and make a near-game time decision from there.  

Anyway who cares whether it was strategy or not.  The real story is that Nick Suriano will not have the chance to wrestle at NCAAs after stringing together an awesome season as a true freshman.  It's too bad, as I was really looking forward to a possible rematch with Gilman.  Injuries suck.