Sign in to follow this  
Warren_Haynes

Suriano OUT!!!

Tough to fault Cael for not pulling the trigger sooner.  If you have a potential AA wrestler who is injured and trying to get well before the tournament, of course you are going to give him and the medical staff the maximum amount of time possible to say he's good to go, and make a near-game time decision from there.  

Anyway who cares whether it was strategy or not.  The real story is that Nick Suriano will not have the chance to wrestle at NCAAs after stringing together an awesome season as a true freshman.  It's too bad, as I was really looking forward to a possible rematch with Gilman.  Injuries suck.

Anyone that is a fan of another 125 wrestler or a team other than PSU should care.  If, and I say IF, they knew early it was pretty much the equivalent of reneging in cards.  They may lose the points but it can still cost the other team(s).

That doesn't even account for the alternate that would get a chance to call himself an NCAA Qualifier.  Not sure who the alternate was, but that has to suck!

Pre-Championships Guide states that the field was locked on Sunday at 5pm eastern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See page 12 "Replacement Policy."  I don't see anything about re-seeding, though.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMWR_PreChamps_Manual_20161006.pdf

It seems like they should bump up all the seeds.

Edited by wnywrestling

Amen man. They were hoping they could go with him in a brace. He was a threat in win it this year and with a brace they were thinking 5th or 6th thus giving them the title easily. Now it is up in the air between three teams. Good for us fans as a whole-bad for PSU fans. Any other team in this situation would have done the exact same thing! The kids on Suriano's side now get a lucky draw. That is life-they better take advantage of it.

Edited by PRyan2012

Why can't they reseed and redraw the bracket?

No reason they can't as long as its in their procedures.  Probably can't add any (and no reason to 32 is fine) to the bracket, but plenty of time to reseed  & redraw from 3 on down just like in 157.

See page 12 "Replacement Policy."  I don't see anything about re-seeding, though.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMWR_PreChamps_Manual_20161006.pdf

It seems like they should bump up all the seeds.

That is what I meant by re-seeding.  Sorry.  Everyone below him bumps up a spot and 16 would technically be "re-seeded".

Neither am I but I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agree. The winners of this are the 125 guys in his quadrant of the bracket. PSU is going to have to have a champion besides Nolf and Zain. They can do this at 165, 174 or 184. Going to be an amazing close event between 3 or 4 teams! If Suriano places 2nd then PSU cruises to a title now they are going to need a 3rd champ and some high AA placers. Very doable but it OKst, OSU or PSU could win this thing or possibly even Iowa! As a fan first, then a PSU fan 2nd I love this!  

Edited by PRyan2012

Nobody got cheated. He earned a spot based on the current qualifying criteria. If PSU had known he definitely couldn't go, they would have pulled him before the replacement deadline. You don't pull a wrestler when you still believe he might be able to compete. I'm more concerned with making sure the 3rd seed has every chance to compete than I am for helping the 34th best guy get his chance to go 0-2.

Yeah, that 34th guy was likely Noah Baughman, who beat Terao and Rodriguez, and pinned Piccinnini.  I'm sure he doesn't feel cheated now.

Cael had until last Sunday to pull Suriano so that the brackets could have been redrawn.  The honorable thing would have been to pull him.  I wonder what miracle they were expecting between Sunday and today.  Really selfish on their part.

Anyone that is a fan of another 125 wrestler or a team other than PSU should care.  If, and I say IF, they knew early it was pretty much the equivalent of reneging in cards.  They may lose the points but it can still cost the other team(s).

That doesn't even account for the alternate that would get a chance to call himself an NCAA Qualifier.  Not sure who the alternate was, but that has to suck!

I'm not sure what "reneging in cards" means but totally understand your point about gaming the bracket and how disappointed the alternate qualifer must feel.  I guess I feel that Suriano sort of earned the right to make a last minute decision after the season he's had. It was his spot in the bracket to surrender, whenever.

Amen man. They were hoping they could go with him in a brace. He was a threat in win it this year and with a brace they were thinking 5th or 6th thus giving them the title easily. Now it is up in the air between three teams. Good for us fans as a whole-bad for PSU fans. Any other team in this situation would have done the exact same thing! The kids on Suriano's side now get a lucky draw. That is life-they better take advantage of it.

Jimmy Gulibon had better step up!!!! =)

Edited by pamela

The Kyle Akins Family disagrees.

Tough to fault Cael for not pulling the trigger sooner.  If you have a potential AA wrestler who is injured and trying to get well before the tournament, of course you are going to give him and the medical staff the maximum amount of time possible to say he's good to go, and make a near-game time decision from there.  

Anyway who cares whether it was strategy or not.  The real story is that Nick Suriano will not have the chance to wrestle at NCAAs after stringing together an awesome season as a true freshman.  It's too bad, as I was really looking forward to a possible rematch with Gilman.  Injuries suck.

If true then total garbage!  It was pointed out before B10s that there was no reason for Suriano/PSU to take the #2 seed.  They had no intention of wrestling him and his seed was going to have no impact/influence on the seed at NCAA (different criteria).  All they did was hurt the chances of guys seeded below who should've moved up in the tournament.  Moreover, this is exactly why you don't allow someone who doesn't participate in the qualifying tourney to retain full seed status at NCAA.  In not participating you are conceding that you are "damaged goods" and thus those criteria which you previous achieved do not currently apply and you've just conceded that you are willing to finish last place thus all who participated and wrestled in the Q should be considered better at this point in time.

Not at all tough to fault him, wrestling isn't about gaming the system, its about who is the best man at that point in time on the mat.  :(

Yeah, that 34th guy was likely Noah Baughman, who beat Terao and Rodriguez, and pinned Piccinnini.  I'm sure he doesn't feel cheated now.

Cael had until last Sunday to pull Suriano so that the brackets could have been redrawn.  The honorable thing would have been to pull him.  I wonder what miracle they were expecting between Sunday and today.  Really selfish on their part.

NO it simply is not. He thought he had a chance at wrestling plain and simple. As of last week the goal was to wrestle with a brace and place 5th-8th. This would assure PSU a title. Without him it is a horse race. Cael did what any other coach would have done. Rules were not broken neither was Cael's integrity. Suriano said he wanted to wrestle and said he could be ready two weeks ago. It didn't work out. There will be more wrestlers benefiting from this than the other way around.

Edited by PRyan2012

Honestly wonder if there was some strategy(like it or not) by so doing.  Piccininni would have moved up a spot. 7 seed on the other side of Gilman makes a BIG difference!

I am certain that's a part of it.  And I am certain that was the right move by Cael.  It's not Cael's job to get the right wrestlers in, to properly seed the bracket, or to re-seed even now.  All of those things are failing to happen because of poor procedure from the NCAA.  I can't fault Cael for taking advantage of the current rules to salvage a small win out of a big team loss.  

Without Suriano's points PSU drops to third place. They need another champ besides Nolf and Zain to win it.

PSU is still the favorite without Suriano, but their margin is far smaller.  Nevills cannot lose to Casper, Cenzo can't lose to Lewis, etc.