Sign in to follow this  
Warren_Haynes

Suriano OUT!!!

MSU158, what was your opinion on Spencer Lee giving it a go at PIAA's? Should he have withdrawn?

How do you compare someone who took second w an injury to someone who doesn't even compete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice quick run down. It simply is going to come down to bonus points at 149 and 157. I simply can not count that as a given.

I just don't see how Nolf doesn't bonus his way through, besides Kemerer maybe (although I wouldn't be shocked). Kemerer may not even make the finals. He doesn't have the easiest route. 

With Zain, there are only two guys who he may not bonus. If Micah loses to Sorenson, then Zain may not bonus there. If Collica makes the finals, he might run into the same problem. 

Other than that, I think he bonuses everyone, including Mayes (I am a huge Mayes fan, but I do not like the style matchup. I know Askren does, but he has good analysis on everyone except for Mizzou)

How do you compare someone who took second w an injury to someone who doesn't even compete?

The point is that both were injured and both were also qualified to participate. Both want to compete. Both of their coaches want them to compete, if it is at all possible. Sanderson's job is to give his guys and his team every possible chance to win. I'm sure he knows a lot more than you or I about Nick's injury and whether or not he had a chance to compete at NCAA's. Maybe I'm wrong and guys like you know more about Nick's injury than Coach Sanderson knows. 

The point is that both were injured and both were also qualified to participate. Both want to compete. Both of their coaches want them to compete, if it is at all possible. Sanderson's job is to give his guys and his team every possible chance to win. I'm sure he knows a lot more than you or I about Nick's injury and whether or not he had a chance to compete at NCAA's. Maybe I'm wrong and guys like you know more about Nick's injury than Coach Sanderson knows. 

The difference is that Lee actually wrestled to qualify through his Sectional, District, and Regional tournaments.  Suriano did not compete.

OK. Quick run down of the points that could occur (these aren't actually my picks, but close to)

PSU

125 - 0

133 - 0

141 - Maybe 2?

149- 28

157 - 28

165 - 15

174 - 12

184 - 20 (2nd + bonus)

197 - hard to tell...maybe 8?

285 - 16 (3rd/4th + bonus)

Total: 119-129

OSU

125 - 8

133 - 16

141 - 20

149 - 16

157 - 10 (not confident here, but could be far higher or far lower)

165 - 2

174 - 8

184 - 10

197 - 8

285 - 2

100 points

Maybe I am underestimating OSU. I watched most of their duals this season, and this is approximately where I see them ending up. I highly doubt both 197 and 285 AA. I think they are both borderline AAs. PSU doesn't have a lot of wiggle room, but OSU has a bunch of guys right on the cusp of AAing. If they all AA, they can win. If 2-3 don't, they lose. 

I think you are doing comparisons with the wrong OSU... should be running comparative numbers for tOSU.

Edited by lu_alum

Obviously, if they still had hope that Suriano would wrestle, no one here can or should fault them for that. However, are you then saying that what Michigan did with Murphy or even Jake Smith of West Virginia is not honorable or noteworthy?

Of course not. My assumption is that those wrestlers were pulled because they are physically unable to compete and they knew that at the point when they withdrew. Similarly, I believe that Suriano was pulled at the point when he was deemed unable to compete. It has nothing to with being honorable. Every single coach would have handled this the same way Sanderson did unless you believe the insane theory that Cael has been straight up lying when asked about Suriano.

So what? Suriano was already qualified to wrestle at NCAA's. He qualified. 

Did he?  My understanding was he qualified a spot to the tourney for the conference.  He then had to earn it by placing at conferences.  Since he didn't place he was given the at large bid.  I haven't really been following this situation so Im sincerely not clear on how this went down.

Edited by pickled

Of course not. My assumption is that those wrestlers were pulled because they are physically unable to compete and they knew that at the point when they withdrew. Similarly, I believe that Suriano was pulled at the point when he was deemed unable to compete. It has nothing to with being honorable. Every single coach would have handled this the same way Sanderson did unless you believe the insane theory that Cael has been straight up lying when asked about Suriano.

Neither of us know.  That is kind of the point.  As a selfish wrestling fan, I wanted to see him compete.  So, I was happy he hadn't withdrawn early.  Now, I truly don't know what to think and, as a result, I do feel bad for the wrestlers this affected.

Did he?  My understanding was he qualified a spot to the tourney for the conference.  He then had to earn it by placing at conferences.  Since he didn't place he was given the at large bid.  I haven't really been following this situation so Im sincerely not clear on how this went down.

Very solid response.  The injury actually KEPT him from qualifying.  The committee then ignored his injury and not only selected him, but seeded him as if he took 2nd at B1G's.  That alone makes it a giant difference from what Lee did, let alone the difference in injuries, level of competition and what Lee was going for vs. Suriano.

You forfeit if you don't weigh in. You med forfeit if you don't pass skin check.

Think we're saying the same thing. I said he had to weigh in for it to be a Med Forfeit.

Make weight & Fail skin = Med Fft.

Make weight, Pass skin, unable to compete = Med Fft.

Edited by lu_alum

Wanna tell all the other at large participants that they too are not qualified? 

Suriano qualified the spot and got in because of his track record. If they didn't want him in they could have not granted an at large. That was their call. 

Wanna tell all the other at large participants that they too are not qualified?

Suriano qualified the spot and got in because of his track record. If they didn't want him in they could have not granted an at large. That was their call.

Using your own words...

He did not EARN his conference's AQ.

He was GRANTED an At Large berth.

OK. Quick run down of the points that could occur (these aren't actually my picks, but close to)

PSU

125 - 0

133 - 0

141 - Maybe 2?

149- 28

157 - 28

165 - 15

174 - 12

184 - 20 (2nd + bonus)

197 - hard to tell...maybe 8?

285 - 16 (3rd/4th + bonus)

Total: 119-129

OSU

125 - 8

133 - 16

141 - 20

149 - 16

157 - 10 (not confident here, but could be far higher or far lower)

165 - 2

174 - 8

184 - 10

197 - 8

285 - 2

100 points

Maybe I am underestimating OSU. I watched most of their duals this season, and this is approximately where I see them ending up. I highly doubt both 197 and 285 AA. I think they are both borderline AAs. PSU doesn't have a lot of wiggle room, but OSU has a bunch of guys right on the cusp of AAing. If they all AA, they can win. If 2-3 don't, they lose. 

You are not totally unreasonable here.  OSU has a huge variance because there are 10 determining factors for their team. You might be a little low on them or you might be high if they lose a few close ones. 

Obviously 10 guys means if you have a bad tournament then you fall hard, but 10 guys is not a bad thing like you keep wanting to make it out to be.  OSU is not the best team in this tournament so obviously they won't win on a bad day.  But on a good day, 10 scorers is a good thing.   Maybe 10 guys makes them more likely to tumble, but it's the best case scenario for pulling an upset because it's more places unaccounted points might come from.  The NCAA tournament might have more forfeits than any event all year.  Tons of points are had in the back side from injured guys forfeiting out.  OSU probably has 8-9 guys in consis to capitalize on that.  

But related to your predictions, what in the world would make you think Schaffer is likely to score 2 points?  The guy went 22-1 with a bonus percentage just under 70%.  His one loss he hit Kasper with a blast double and got kicked over for 6 points.  Other than that he beat Stoll, Butler, Kroells, Johnson, Larson.  He has a 6 seed and my guess is he equals or beats 2 points in his first match.  In round 2 he'll likely wrestle #11 Jared Johnson who he pinned in 18 seconds.  Then assuming he loses to Walz in the quarters (and he lost to Walz this summer 2-2), he drops down and gets a match he's favored in probably against Dejournette to be an AA.  That does not sound like a 2 point day.  

Edited by boconnell

Did he re-injure himself in the last 70 hrs?

Did he come down with flu in the last 70 hours?

Hard to believe that 500 hours after the injury, he looked like he would be OK to go, but at hour 570 there was a sudden reverse. 

Did he re-injure himself in the last 70 hrs?

Did he come down with flu in the last 70 hours?

Hard to believe that 500 hours after the injury, he looked like he would be OK to go, but at hour 570 there was a sudden reverse. 

Perhaps 70 hours of this?

Just in, Penn State Wrestling Team headed for airport. Suriano second from front and no detectable limp.

post-20441-0-57899600-1489448860_thumb.j

Edited by ionel

Using your own words...

He did not EARN his conference's AQ.

He was GRANTED an At Large berth.

lu_alum, here are your words "You're a LIAR, Cael". 

You are totally pre occupied with things that you don't know anything about or that are not all that significant in the big picture. The biggest impact on the tournament isn't that a wrestler who didn't qualify could maybe have gotten in if a lot of things that you have no knowledge of were possibly true, it is that PSU is down two wrestlers due to injury. Simple as that.

And how this news becomes Cael is a liar in your mind is pretty interesting. One more conspiracy for you to cling to, I suppose. 

Listen

Hey smart A. I am a PSU fan and they are most likely third with no points at 125. Why is that false? If all the seeds play out that would put them in 3rd would it not?

They may be in third if you follow seeds but that's not how it works. That's all I was pointing out. They very well could have three champs and lose too. My apologies if my comment came off as being a smart aleck, that wasn't my intention.