Sign in to follow this  
Warren_Haynes

Suriano OUT!!!

Think we're saying the same thing. I said he had to weigh in for it to be a Med Forfeit.

Make weight & Fail skin = Med Fft.

Make weight, Pass skin, unable to compete = Med Fft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, skin check precedes weigh in and would then preclude it.

But related to your predictions, what in the world would make you think Schaffer is likely to score 2 points?  The guy went 22-1 with a bonus percentage just under 70%.  His one loss he hit Kasper with a blast double and got kicked over for 6 points.  Other than that he beat Stoll, Butler, Kroells, Johnson, Larson.  He has a 6 seed and my guess is he equals or beats 2 points in his first match.  In round 2 he'll likely wrestle #11 Jared Johnson who he pinned in 18 seconds.  Then assuming he loses to Walz in the quarters (and he lost to Walz this summer 2-2), he drops down and gets a match he's favored in probably against Dejournette to be an AA.  That does not sound like a 2 point day.  

2 may be low for Schafer. I think both he and Weigel are borderline AAs, so when doing my breakdown I gave one AA and the other I didn't. What mattered was total points in that breakdown. That's why I said these aren't my actual picks. 

To be clear, I think between Schafer and Weigel, OSU scores 10ish points. Could be wrong here. Looking at my picks, Weigel I have in the 7th/8th match. Schafer is in a weak class and after losing in the quarters, could make it to AA. Even with that, I have OSU behind tOSU and PSU. 

2 may be low for Schafer. I think both he and Weigel are borderline AAs, so when doing my breakdown I gave one AA and the other I didn't. What mattered was total points in that breakdown. That's why I said these aren't my actual picks. 

To be clear, I think between Schafer and Weigel, OSU scores 10ish points. Could be wrong here. Looking at my picks, Weigel I have in the 7th/8th match. Schafer is in a weak class and after losing in the quarters, could make it to AA. Even with that, I have OSU behind tOSU and PSU. 

Let's go sigbet on O/U 10 for Schafer and Weigel.  10 is a push, over I win, under you win.  

Precisely why the NCAA D-I needs to go to four super regions with the top 8 qualifying automatically and some wildcard 9th placers.  This is a joke.  The whole weighing in and defaulting out of the conference meet because "we think he'll be better in two weeks" is BS.

Man I've been saying that for years. 

What's the difference between the big 10 tournament and this weekend as far as the team race goes? PSU did just lose when getting zero points from Suriano. Is the scoring different? Are OSU, tOSU, and other teams going to cannibalize each other's points more than PSU's?

What's the difference between the big 10 tournament and this weekend as far as the team race goes? PSU did just lose when getting zero points from Suriano. Is the scoring different? Are OSU, tOSU, and other teams going to cannibalize each other's points more than PSU's?

Major difference is that many of the Big10 scorers are not NCAA scorers.

For example, Pletcher placed 4th at Big10s. He is highly unlikely to score 4th place points at NCAAs.

The difference is that the points at Big10's get dispersed at NCAA's. Plenty of wrestlers from other conferences will spread those points out. Micah Jordan got 2nd at Big10's, if you expect him to get 2nd at NCAA's then no change. If you expect him to fall to 5th or 6th, then big change. 

I don't think there is anything "borderline" about Weigel's skills. He's going to be an AA and do quite well at NCAAs. I wouldn't be shocked if he made the finals, he's wrestling so well.

As much as I like Weigel he did just lose to McCutcheon not too long ago and looked like his lungs/willpower were zapped by Gru's freeze ray!!

I picked him to place but saying he has been wrestling so well is a bit of a stretch.

Without Suriano's points PSU drops to third place. They need another champ besides Nolf and Zain to win it.

A lot more pins from the support cast can put them on top. Bonus points is the name of the game and now it is more important than ever for Cael & Co.

A lot more pins from the support cast can put them on top. Bonus points is the name of the game and now it is more important than ever for Cael & Co.

I think they need to rely on Nolf, Retherford, and Nickal for the bonus points.  Hall I guess could pick them up with big moves in the course of wrestling.  Guys like Joseph and Nevills might get in trouble if they push for bonus points.  McCutcheon just needs to survive and advance.  

Edited by boconnell

I don't believe the situations are remotely the same, but I will respond.

I am torn on this subject.  I know he wanted to join a very short list of 4x, undefeated PA State Champs.  I also know he was cleared by a top notch physician.  Still, he took a risk at further injury that may have cost him a free DI education along with whatever athletic accomplishments he would have attained.

With the clearance from a Physician, I am ok with his decision.  But, I wouldn't have recommended it.

At the same time the kid could slip on come ice and shatter an ankle or elbow and never be able to wrestle again - or at least not at the top level that is expected.

Hard for some to realize that every athlete out there is one bad break away from being out of the sport permanently. Ankle, elbow, knee, concussion - whatever. Remember Joe Thiesmann in Football. At the top of his game and there went the leg and his career. Just like that it was all gone.

You take the good with the bad and I'm sure Cael & Co have Suriano's long term health in mind on this one. Given every chance to recover they chose safety for their wrestler rather than points for the team. Even on one leg Suriano would have gotten team points from the first few matches. But, why risk his long term recovery & career?

At the same time the kid could slip on come ice and shatter an ankle or elbow and never be able to wrestle again - or at least not at the top level that is expected.

Hard for some to realize that every athlete out there is one bad break away from being out of the sport permanently. Ankle, elbow, knee, concussion - whatever. Remember Joe Thiesmann in Football. At the top of his game and there went the leg and his career. Just like that it was all gone.

You take the good with the bad and I'm sure Cael & Co have Suriano's long term health in mind on this one. Given every chance to recover they chose safety for their wrestler rather than points for the team. Even on one leg Suriano would have gotten team points from the first few matches. But, why risk his long term recovery & career?

They didn't pull a guy who could score points because of the long term risks of wrestling with a sprained ankle.  Obviously he can't wrestle.

So, before I send in my picks, is this a for sure thing?

Ok, we are on page 4, do any have real factual information, or is someone just messing with everyone cause they've got nothing better to do while waiting for the airliner to be dug out of 5 feet of snow?

Yes - it's factual and true.

That is not accurate information

I just argued with another poster about this. Let me clarify....... if you take the bonus points out of it at 149 and 157 correct and everyone wrestled to their seed would PSU not finish 3rd? I hope I am wrong:-) 

I guess 2 was high for Schafer.  Good call.  Maybe he didn't run into a ton of size this year, but the way he wrestled against Stoll and others made me think he handled size well.  But not this weekend.