nom

Is anyone predicting Moore over Cox?

I'm seriously on the fence. Young gun is coming in with confidence high. Knows he can get TDs on Cox. Really liking this kid.

On other side - While he has shown world class talent, Cox has not exactly been lighting up opponents this season.

If these two get to the finals, I think I'd bet on Moore with the likely odds being so in favor of Cox.

Anyone taking Moore outright?

I am on the fence as well. 

I have been back and forth. I think I'm going with Cox, but the evidence does suggest that Moore could do it. Problem is, Moore has a pretty tough draw to get there, plus he is a freshman under the lights for the first time.

If he looks amazing on his way to the finals, I might switch to Moore in my finals pick, but going in, I have to stick with Cox. 

Ohio State does have good track record of freshman winning titles in recent years

Also a good point. 

I think if Moore makes the finals (which I am picking) then I will pick him to win. BUT Moore has Weigel, who is awesome on top (a Moore deficiency, if you can call it that), and Pfarr again. Anybody else vs Cox will be an "easy" win for Cox.

I should just pick Moore. 

I'm picking Moore. Screw it. 

Moore champion over Cox. I'm calling it.

Ohio State does have good track record of freshman winning titles in recent years

They have a track record of getting thrown in the finals as well. (If you can call one a track record 😀). And I hear J'den likes ice cream, too. Edited by Crotalus

Pfarr won't be hindered by the gold singlet in the semis.

Honestly more concerned about Weigel than Pfarr. Moore showed progression in each match and finally scored the win at Big10s. 

Weigel may be able to turn him. No doubt that Moore will be winning this match after the first period (maybe 6-3?) but a turn or two from Weigel may be too big of a hole to come back from. 

For as amazing as Ohio State is in the upper weights, they don't have a bunch of really good turners. I hope Moore can escape or at least stop the turn. I don't mind if Weigel rides him out.

Wiegel is not turning Moore. Moore will blast through him like a missile through a paper wall. Definitely fear the Gopher more. Pratt will make adjustments after getting owned the last time. He's going to slow the match way down from the feet.

Yeah you could be right. Pfarr is savvy enough to do that, and Pfarr is good for at least 1 takedown and 1 reversal on the ground. 

Can't wait.

Seriously, picking a freshman over a probable 3x champ and Olympian, who he's already lost to?  Get real.  Smith made J'Den take a 2 week break in January, and since then he has pinned or bonused everyone except for  an 8-2 win over #12 Beazely, who ran the whole match.  That includes a major over Weigel.

Edited by KCMO2

Seriously, picking a freshman over a probable 3x champ and Olympian, who he's already lost to? Get real. Smith made J'Den take a 2 week break in January, and since then he has pinned or bonused everyone except for an 8-2 win over #12 Beazely, who ran the whole match. That includes a major over Weigel.

I mean, you are probably right, but Cox has not looked himself this season and Moore is peaking at the right time

Cox is certainly the safe pick, but Moore has a shot. And I'm picking him.

I mean, you are probably right, but Cox has not looked himself this season and Moore is peaking at the right time

Cox is certainly the safe pick, but Moore has a shot. And I'm picking him.

I'll agree that Cox looked off earlier in the season, but after his break and to hear him talk now, he's re-energized and ready to go out with a bang.  Moore might keep it close, but if J'Den is on then he's better in all 3 positions, and his conditioning is now much better than earlier in the season as well.

Most people who say Cox hasn't looked like himself are basing it off a couple matches they saw of him at the beginning of the season. Like KCMO2 said, Cox has been absolutely blitzing his way through the last month or two of the season. He only has 3 wins without bonus since January and that's out of almost 15 matches (one against Pfarr). Cox will be ready to rock and roll, and if he faces Moore again I imagine it will be a significantly more controlled and dominant win for J'den

LOL, I want in on the bets against Cox. Guy was third in the world so I think he can continue to sleepwalk through the end of the year.

Then pay the -650 or whatever and bet on him. Nobody is stopping you. I think that's a stupid bet relative to the other value available at the other weights, but to each his own.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

LOL, I want in on the bets against Cox. Guy was third in the world so I think he can continue to sleepwalk through the end of the year.

You can go ahead and do that. He is a huge favorite. I don't think the line at -700 is accurate. I see it close to -300. 

I'm seriously on the fence. Young gun is coming in with confidence high. Knows he can get TDs on Cox. Really liking this kid.

On other side - While he has shown world class talent, Cox has not exactly been lighting up opponents this season.

If these two get to the finals, I think I'd bet on Moore with the likely odds being so in favor of Cox.

Anyone taking Moore outright?

Not with this being Cox's last year, last tournament at home.  I think Cox will never be in jeopardy of losing this whole tournament.  This said, I expect some close matches, but again, I doubt he'll be in trouble. 

Did anyone else notice he seemed a little emotional at the press conference of wrestlers, yesterday?  To me, this is a good thing as he will be extra focused. 

I am on the fence as well. 

I have been back and forth. I think I'm going with Cox, but the evidence does suggest that Moore could do it. Problem is, Moore has a pretty tough draw to get there, plus he is a freshman under the lights for the first time.

If he looks amazing on his way to the finals, I might switch to Moore in my finals pick, but going in, I have to stick with Cox. 

Moore would have to keep it close and push a heavy pace so that Cox wears at the end and gives up an uncharacteristic TD when it really matters.  This could happen, but I feel comfortable that it won't.  Not certain that Moore will get past Pfarr.  The last time they met Moore dominated, but I am not certain it is because he closed the gap plus some.  Pfarr looked sloppy and then pressed too much.  However, Moore did seem to win scrambles against Pfarr which was unexpected.