Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

2013 Captain Morgan Inagural Burnout Team

Brands may be an icon in the state of Iowa, true...

but to folks outside IA and people who don't know wrestling who see him on TV, honestly, he looks like a psychopath. Entertaining for sure, the cameras should be on him full time to watch his act.

"If you love the sport of wrestling, there is no possible way that you can't like him."

The is no possible way you can make that statement about any person who's ever lived. Somebody is not going to like him, and if you read people's posts, a lot of people don't like Brands. It is an absurd statement.

Fadz, what do you disagree with?

No Troll.....

No one loves wrestling more than I do......I've always been, and always will be a Gable fan/my son and his son's middle name are Dan, but I'll never be a Brands fan......I've coached against them when they competed....respect their wrestling and ablilities...just never liked their cheap stuff.....they don't interview well, etc....and I'm not the only one that feels this way, trust me....nuff said. And .....I have several good friends that were great wrestlers at Iowa (9 NCAA titles between them)...I do have a lot of respect for the program.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion!!! Have a gr8 day.

I think why everyone is butt hurt about this post is because Mudflap is not joking about Iowa wrestlers like he usually does. It is all fun and games when he pokes fun at guys in the Iowa lineup but we see people's true colors once he starts knocking guys from other teams.

I have never seen a fanbase in any sport whine and play the victim like most of the Iowa fans do on this board. I truly hope the majority of fans on this board don't represent the fan-base.

I haven't been posting long, but, I've learned the following from Iowa fans:

1. You have zero right to be excited about current success because your success doesn't compare to Iowa's dynasty. How dare you celebrate and enjoy your teams current success. It is a slap in the face to Iowa, who did it longer and better than you. Living in the past is more important than living in the present. Do not get excited about your team's current success, you don't deserve it until Iowa fans tell you that you do.

2. Everyone who says anything borderline negative about Iowa is simply jealous of their past success, which again, is more important than anything currently taking place. You haven't earned the right to say something negative about Iowa, until Iowa fans tell you that you do.

3. Back when Iowa was winning their championships, the current tournament factor was a perfect indicator of what team was the best. Even if Iowa lost a dual, they proved to be true champions in the NCAA Tournament. Now, winning an NCAA tournament after losing a dual leaves your championship tainted, and the way to decide the championship is through dual meet success. You don't have the right to state your opinion on what should decide the national championship until Iowa fans tell you that you do.

4. Saying that you think a guy might end up reversing a loss later in the year is a sin of the highest order, and you will be subject to future jokes for your attempted prognostications. You don't have the ability to predict a future change in outcomes until Iowa fans tell you that you do.

5. Winning by 4 or more points is completely dominating your opponent into oblivion. For you to call those matches competitive is delusional, they are beat-downs of the highest order. You can't decide what determines competitive matches, Iowa fans are the only ones who have earned that right.

P.S. Booing Dake at the national championships was a right that only Iowa fans have earned. How dare the rest of the arena come together and drown out their boos with a standing ovation, essentially telling them that what the rest of the nation thinks their fan bases behavior. The rest of the countries fans haven't earned the right to judge Iowa fans until Iowa fans tell them that they have earned it.

Here Mat, this may cheer you up. I posted this a few years ago when Iowa was finishing up their 3 year run and their fans dominated this board:

Looks like the Hawks are finally getting some recognition around here. As a result, there may be some fans thinking about converting. They may be under the mistaken impression that just following the team and cheering them on is enough so I thought I would give them some assistance on the other requirements.

1. You must insist that Metcalf was not pinned by Caldwell.

2. Exhibition matches do count.

3. It isn't good enough to say Brands is one of the best coaches, you must concede that he is far and away the greatest coach in the sport today; however at the same time...........

4. You must criticize Cael Sanderson for not beating Brands at Nationals and insist he is not a good coach.

5. The VA Tech thing never happened.

6. You must yell "stalling" at the opposing wrestler 10 times during a match, even when the Iowa guy is getting taken down or otherwise giving up points.

7. After a win, you must talk about "Iowa Style wrestling" and how dominating the performance was, even for 1 point victories.

8. Whenever someone mentions a good crowd at a non-iowa wrestling meet, you must ridicule them and post the average home attendance figures.

9. You must insist there was time on the clock at the time of the shove AND when confronted with video evidence to the contrary, say it was altered.

10. Anyone who does not agree to the letter with any of these statements must be considered a "Hater"

1. You have zero right to be excited about current success because your success doesn't compare to Iowa's dynasty. How dare you celebrate and enjoy your teams current success. It is a slap in the face to Iowa, who did it longer and better than you. Living in the past is more important than living in the present. Do not get excited about your team's current success, you don't deserve it until Iowa fans tell you that you do.

2. Everyone who says anything borderline negative about Iowa is simply jealous of their past success, which again, is more important than anything currently taking place. You haven't earned the right to say something negative about Iowa, until Iowa fans tell you that you do.

3. Back when Iowa was winning their championships, the current tournament factor was a perfect indicator of what team was the best. Even if Iowa lost a dual, they proved to be true champions in the NCAA Tournament. Now, winning an NCAA tournament after losing a dual leaves your championship tainted, and the way to decide the championship is through dual meet success. You don't have the right to state your opinion on what should decide the national championship until Iowa fans tell you that you do.

4. Saying that you think a guy might end up reversing a loss later in the year is a sin of the highest order, and you will be subject to future jokes for your attempted prognostications. You don't have the ability to predict a future change in outcomes until Iowa fans tell you that you do.

5. Winning by 4 or more points is completely dominating your opponent into oblivion. For you to call those matches competitive is delusional, they are beat-downs of the highest order. You can't decide what determines competitive matches, Iowa fans are the only ones who have earned that right.

P.S. Booing Dake at the national championships was a right that only Iowa fans have earned. How dare the rest of the arena come together and drown out their boos with a standing ovation, essentially telling them that what the rest of the nation thinks their fan bases behavior. The rest of the countries fans haven't earned the right to judge Iowa fans until Iowa fans tell them that they have earned it.

And I thought that I was the only one who knew this.

Like or dislike Brands, they have a passion and involvement in the sport that has had positive effects for many wrestlers they have been teammates with or coached. I would say they have made the sport better by having participated in it.

Here Mat, this may cheer you up. I posted this a few years ago when Iowa was finishing up their 3 year run and their fans dominated this board:

Looks like the Hawks are finally getting some recognition around here. As a result, there may be some fans thinking about converting. They may be under the mistaken impression that just following the team and cheering them on is enough so I thought I would give them some assistance on the other requirements.

3. It isn't good enough to say Brands is one of the best coaches, you must concede that he is far and away the greatest coach in the sport today; however at the same time...........

4. You must criticize Cael Sanderson for not beating Brands at Nationals and insist he is not a good coach.

6. You must yell "stalling" at the opposing wrestler 10 times during a match, even when the Iowa guy is getting taken down or otherwise giving up points.

7. After a win, you must talk about "Iowa Style wrestling" and how dominating the performance was, even for 1 point victories.

8. Whenever someone mentions a good crowd at a non-iowa wrestling meet, you must ridicule them and post the average home attendance figures.

9. You must insist there was time on the clock at the time of the shove AND when confronted with video evidence to the contrary, say it was altered.

10. Anyone who does not agree to the letter with any of these statements must be considered a "Hater"

Bump for Hurricane

I have never seen a fanbase in any sport whine and play the victim like most of the Iowa fans do on this board. I truly hope the majority of fans on this board don't represent the fan-base.

I guess some things never change. And many thumbs up to F-T for resurrecting this oldie but goodie. 

Edited by TBar1977

1. You must insist Taylor was not pinned by Jenkins.

2. Years prior to 2011 do not count.

3. It isn't good enough to say Cael is one of the best coaches, you must concede that he is far and away the greatest coach in the sport today; however at the same time...........

4. You must criticize Tom Brands for not beating Cael at Nationals and insist he is not a good coach.

5. The Iowa State things never happened.

6. You must yell "he's not having fun" at the opposing wrestler 10 times during a match, even when the Penn State guy isn't smiling.

7. After a win you must talk about the importance of bonus points and how Cael was the first person to think of this.

8. Whenever someone mentions a good crowd at a non-PSU meet you must bring up the fact that PSU could sell more tickets but they like the "intimate" atmosphere of Rec Hall.

9. You must insist 2015 never happened AND when confronted with video evidence to the contrary, say it was just to give other teams a chance.

"I have never seen a fanbase in any sport whine and play the victim like most of the Iowa fans do on this board"

This guy evidently doesn't have any interaction with fans of any SEC football teams; they'll make excuses for and whine about teams that aren't even "their team".

I am surrounded by PSU fans and three things irk me the most when around them.

1. They were not fans prior to the Cael years and many actually know very little about PA wrestling and wrestling in general. To them, D1 wrestling did not exist prior to 2011.

2. They look at Cael as a living God (replaced the cult of Paterno) but anyone with any reasonable intelligence knew for decades that if PSU ever had a top notch staff that this level of success was possible simply based on geographics.

3. All other PA programs are inferior to PSU and do not deserve an ounce of attention. That and it is the coaching staff's fault they do not have near the success as PSU (super-old mentality is quite common).

I am surrounded by PSU fans and three things irk me the most when around them.

1. They were not fans prior to the Cael years and many actually know very little about PA wrestling and wrestling in general. To them, D1 wrestling did not exist prior to 2011.

2. They look at Cael as a living God (replaced the cult of Paterno) but anyone with any reasonable intelligence knew for decades that if PSU ever had a top notch staff that this level of success was possible simply based on geographics.

3. All other PA programs are inferior to PSU and do not deserve an ounce of attention. That and it is the coaching staff's fault they do not have near the success as PSU (super-old mentality is quite common).

Aside from the fact that your entry here is not only insulting towards Penn State (belongs on HR where it would blend right in) but also totally preposterous. How about a simple reality check. 

Penn State's wrestling fans were NEVER an issue with anyone until they started finishing ahead of Iowa. Now and only now are they suddenly a problem. A few fans here and there are trying to knock Penn State down a peg, but it is almost entirely the province of Iowa fans who just can't accept the fact that Penn State wrestling is the premier program in the sport of college wrestling right now. 

BTW, us Penn State fans are the ones who told Iowa fans when Cael was hired that things were going to change. Iowa fans told us we were silly to believe that. That Cael would always be #2 to Iowa. How quickly you guys forget. 

Edited by TBar1977