Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hammerlock3

Why did megaluadis throw a split from bottom in OT?

Guest Hammerlock3

I consider this move incredibly stupid. He even got lucky enough to get a stalling call and it didn't help at all. Fair move when praying for a stalemate but I don't get it otherwise.

I noticed that too. It seemed to me to be a planned idea, as if to illustrate for the ref that McD was simply grabbing/holding onto the leg without making any kind of offensive move. Mega did this twice clearly with arms free to illustrate nothing was happening and that the top man was stalling. The split shows an offensive effort toward a reversal or an escape, and without any counter the top man gets a stalling call. Fact is I've seen McD do what he was doing from top plenty of times. Mega exploited it as a stall move on McD's part.

On a side note, did anyone notice Coach Cunningham walk out of the locker area (from the Iowa bench side) with English following wearing his headgear while 141 was in action? It seemed like PSU was playing a counter head game to Iowa withholding Grothus/Kelly.

When in overtime and the guy on top has just one leg, any coach worth a lick will tell you to forget about the reversal and kick, kick, kick and kick some more to show the ref you are trying to get out. When you do that the guy has to let you go or it is almost impossible not to call a guy for stalling. In essence Nico was doing the exact opposite of that. If he would have actually tried to escape and not look at the ref like "why aren't you doing your job" he would have had a better chance at a stall point.

I thought it was funny that the announcers mentioned that the dropping to the leg riding tactic was something the whole PSU team does on multiple occasions. Not sure they are know for that but the announcers sure thought so..

You are not going to be awarded a tie by the ref when you are wrestling a legend at home in Hawkeye heaven. AND yes McD is already one of their legends and that's saying something at IA

In fact, in most cases, you need to beat a 2X champion, 1X runner-up with 100-4 record, like McD convincingly to have any chance anywhere of getting a stall in OT . The rule is unclear to most and the officials are afraid to call it in tough situations. Had the score been McD 6 Mega 1 .McD would have been hit twice. If the roles would have been reversed Coach Brands would need to be dragged from the wrestling surface.

I also thought Megaludis squandered an opportunity to escape by playing that game/card. Mega has explosive escape power and technique. It's hard to escape when your opponent grabs the ankle for dear life and drives his shoulder into your leg particularly in a stalling fashion below the knee like McD did.

I thought it was Megaludis' best match against McD. The first meeting last year in the dual in Happy Valley the OT happened because Megaludis was wrestling defensively, and in the finals Megaludis was over-matched. What I saw this year in CHA was that McD was holding on and scraping by while Megaludis was creating "slightly more" of the action. I'm not taking anything away from McD. I think it's interesting to see McD challenged in the way that Megaludis is able to challenge him.

Exactly Lt - and that is why Dake will not get called for stalling while riding a russian 2 on 1 in neutral and riding a parallel claw with no improvement or whiff of an attempt to get back points. :evil:

You are not going to be awarded a tie by the ref when you are wrestling a legend at home in Hawkeye heaven. AND yes McD is already one of their legends and that's saying something at IA

In fact, in most cases, you need to beat a 2X champion, 1X runner-up with 100-4 record, like McD convincingly to have any chance anywhere of getting a stall in OT . The rule is unclear to most and the officials are afraid to call it in tough situations. Had the score been McD 6 Mega 1 .McD would have been hit twice. If the roles would have been reversed Coach Brands would need to be dragged from the wrestling surface.

I thought it was Megaludis' best match against McD. The first meeting last year in the dual in Happy Valley the OT happened because Megaludis was wrestling defensively, and in the finals Megaludis was over-matched. What I saw this year in CHA was that McD was holding on and scraping by while Megaludis was creating "slightly more" of the action. I'm not taking anything away from McD. I think it's interesting to see McD challenged in the way that Megaludis is able to challenge him.

I agree. I thought Mega had a terrific run last year, but didn't think he'd do as good as he is. He looked very good against McD, looked like he was trying to score, not play defense. Should be a good (potential) two more matches.

I may go back a view the match again when I can. I want to count the shots taken earlier in the bout. I seriously thought McD could have been warned for stalling early! Sure was not going to happen in CGA :?

As a PSU fan, I'm certainly not going to whine about McDonough dropping to the leg in O.T., because Nico had the opportunity to do the exact same thing, and he did attempt to. The difference was that McDonough was able to kick away for the escape. I didn't mind Nico's strategy to get the first warning. However, on the restart, he has to try to turn away and kick. He knows that McD isn't going to get hit again in that short time if he turns into it again, looking for the call.

I loved the way Megaludis wrestled McDonough from their feet. Nico was definitely the aggressor and given more time on the clock, I believe he would have gotten a takedown (twice). However, up to this point, he still hasn't scored offensively on McDonough. I hope he is building up to a win in Des Moines. I'll never doubt him again, as I didn't give him a chance in hell against Sanders last year. Sanders dominated him in the dual and BIGs, but, Nico proved me wrong. That was my favorite moment of the tournament last year.

McD fully hydrated and "huge" did not result in domination over Nico last year so I doubt that will play a role this year. Nico will also be better hydrated and at full strength so it will just come down to the wrestling.

I don't think anyone thinks, or even insinuated, a fully hydrated McD is going to dominate Nico. That being said, it is hard not to think that he will be a little more effective than this last meeting. You can tell yourself that it makes no difference but I bet McD does a better job of controlling the ties and getting off more of his own shots if they meet in the Big Tens or NCAA finals.

The first time Nico did the split and "awe gee, Ref!" it made sense. Going to it again, in Carver Arena, was foolish - no way he was going to get that call, in that place, at that time.

That said, Megaludis gets my vote for the most continuously developing wrestler in the B1G. He can probably lay claim to that title for the entire NCAA, but I don't see enough non-B1G wrestling to say. With the progress he demonstrates every single match, he must be a very smart kid. That second split though, he was too smart for his own good.