Sign in to follow this  
romesone

2 ankles = takedown?

I'm wondering if I'm the only one befuddled by the inconsistency in ruling what a take down is, specifically in those situations where the shooter has the defender sitting on his ass with both ankles secured, but does not have his head popped out. The defending wrestler has his arms wrapped around his shoulders and neck. 

Yesterday, I saw a few matches where this was immediately called 2 as soon as the second ankle was secured. I can't help but recall the infamous non-call for Oliver against Steiber being in the exact same position. What's with the wildly inconsistent position here? Head popped or not? 

Really? I never knew. When was this changed? 

The year after Oliver did not get a TD in the last few second of the match. The thing about that match is I was yelling at the TV "Move up to the waist." Steiber was doing nothing to stop him all he had to do was keep moving up but he stopped moving with 5 seconds to go assuming the ref was going to give him the TD.  

If a defending wrestler is sitting on his butt with both arms wrapped around the upper body of the attacking wrestler who has both legs wrapped up it's a TD. Now if the defensive wrestler has a crotch-lift in and is scrambling it's not a TD. 

I saw this in the Heil and Everett match yesterday and was wondering. Everett had the ankles and his head buried beneath but both of heils knees were still vertical and he was locked around the crotch. How far does the attacking wrestler have to advance up the body for that to be a takedown?

I saw this in the Heil and Everett match yesterday and was wondering. Everett had the ankles and his head buried beneath but both of heils knees were still vertical and he was locked around the crotch. How far does the attacking wrestler have to advance up the body for that to be a takedown?

It appears that under the current rules if you can maintain a crotch lift and not pin yourself you can avoid a take down nearly indefinably. 

I think this needs to be changed or at least provide some more clarification in these situations. Heil and Guilbon is a match where I think the TD should have been awarded because in my opinion control was established. Either that or when a defensive wrestler is clearly not attempting to improve his position he needs to be called for stalling.  

The year after Oliver did not get a TD in the last few second of the match. The thing about that match is I was yelling at the TV "Move up to the waist." Steiber was doing nothing to stop him all he had to do was keep moving up but he stopped moving with 5 seconds to go assuming the ref was going to give him the TD.

If a defending wrestler is sitting on his butt with both arms wrapped around the upper body of the attacking wrestler who has both legs wrapped up it's a TD. Now if the defensive wrestler has a crotch-lift in and is scrambling it's not a TD.

So Oliver lost because he couldn't hear you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum