Sign in to follow this  
bob_meadows_167

When does Metcalf start coaching?

He's got another run in him for 2016 and he'll for sure make a go at it. Until that's said and done that's his fixation and guarantee he'll have tunnel vision for it. He may even go again in 2020, although not a shoe-in bet. I say after he has either achieved his goals or exhausted his greatest effort to, that we will see him coaching. He fits the mold of Iowa, so I think the program will do what it can to keep him there. If he leaves, it'll be to a school with a mentality that is similar. I'd be shocked if he ends up somewhere that is more finesse and technique.

He's got another run in him for 2016 and he'll for sure make a go at it. Until that's said and done that's his fixation and guarantee he'll have tunnel vision for it. He may even go again in 2020, although not a shoe-in bet. I say after he has either achieved his goals or exhausted his greatest effort to, that we will see him coaching. He fits the mold of Iowa, so I think the program will do what it can to keep him there. If he leaves, it'll be to a school with a mentality that is similar. I'd be shocked if he ends up somewhere that is more finesse and technique.

What information are you basing these claims off of?

LOGIC!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because this is somewhat of an opinion based forum and the fact that JT1 used the words "I say", "I think", "I'd be" that he's basing his claims off his opinion. Just a guess though.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because this is somewhat of an opinion based forum and the fact that JT1 used the words "I say", "I think", "I'd be" that he's basing his claims off his opinion. Just a guess though.

You don't happen to have a guess on tonight's winning lotto ticket numbers do you?

What information are you basing these claims off of?[/quote

Seriously??? What JT! posted is nothing more than what probably the majority of people think about Metcalf continuing to compete.

Sure, but he is saying things like "for sure", and "guaranteed." Just wondering if Metcalf has came out and said he will be going for 2016 and will take a job coaching at a college with an "Iowa mentality."

I have absolutely no inside info on Metcalf, but I think he should think long and hard about going through with another Olympic cycle.

He should be able to qualify the weight for the US in the next four years, and he would be good enough to medal at Pan Ams. But I simply don't see him getting a world-level medal. Heck, with Jordan Oliver wrapping up college this season, it'll be tough to make the team. Is it worth all that training and pain just to compete in obscurity?

He's already 26. One more Olympic cycle will take him to the age of 30. At that point, his athletic career will have most likely seen its best days. Should he continue wrestling?

It's up to him. But I think he could make a fantastic MMA fighter. Plenty of camps would love to have him. He would still be young enough to compete at a high level. He'd have a shot at making good money. And it's an area where his ceiling is yet to be determined.

There are no guarantees with whatever path he chooses. I just hope he makes a decision based on a realistic assessment of where he stands.

Olddirty - Do you see him going into a coaching experience where technique and finesse is valued over hard work and just plain grit? I personally don't see Metcalf fitting into a place like that. I see him at a school that is known for it's conditioning and wrestlers that are just plain mean on the mat. If he takes over as a head coach somewhere, I can see him going anywhere but as an assistant , I see him ending up at a school that has an Iowa Mentality.

If he doesn't, as I said before and will say again, I'll shocked.

I have absolutely no inside info on Metcalf, but I think he should think long and hard about going through with another Olympic cycle.

He should be able to qualify the weight for the US in the next four years, and he would be good enough to medal at Pan Ams. But I simply don't see him getting a world-level medal. Heck, with Jordan Oliver wrapping up college this season, it'll be tough to make the team. Is it worth all that training and pain just to compete in obscurity?

He's already 26. One more Olympic cycle will take him to the age of 30. At that point, his athletic career will have most likely seen its best days. Should he continue wrestling?

It's up to him. But I think he could make a fantastic MMA fighter. Plenty of camps would love to have him. He would still be young enough to compete at a high level. He'd have a shot at making good money. And it's an area where his ceiling is yet to be determined.

There are no guarantees with whatever path he chooses. I just hope he makes a decision based on a realistic assessment of where he stands.

Metcalf is relentless and ruthless in his attempts to be the very best. You don't have to have "inside" information or have somebody else tell you that from a reliable source to know that. Watch the guy wrestle, hear the guy talk, and a within seconds you realize that. Olympic gold = your the best in the world and from everything I've seen and heard, that's what he wants to be. Come 2016, he may very well be. I feel almost certain that he will at least certainly try to be. He's the type that will improve, drastically and dramatically over the next four years. He'll get the folkstyle mentality of control out of his system and get the freestyle mentality into it. I say we see him in a quest for the Gold in 2016. Maybe we wont', but that is my prediction.

Olddirty - Do you see him going into a coaching experience where technique and finesse is valued over hard work and just plain grit? I personally don't see Metcalf fitting into a place like that. I see him at a school that is known for it's conditioning and wrestlers that are just plain mean on the mat. If he takes over as a head coach somewhere, I can see him going anywhere but as an assistant , I see him ending up at a school that has an Iowa Mentality.

Just like any good wrestler with half of a brain, he would most likely go to a place with adequate recruiting resources and a high salary for the position. If you think Metcalf is turning down a head coaching job at OSU if offered, you are crazy. Major university head jobs RARELY open up, and if one does, I doubt he turns it down because the last coach recruited guys who werent in the Iowa mold. To think you can determine a guy's future because of his mentality on the mat is absurd.

Just like any good wrestler with half of a brain, he would most likely go to a place with adequate recruiting resources and a high salary for the position. If you think Metcalf is turning down a head coaching job at OSU if offered, you are crazy. Major university head jobs RARELY open up, and if one does, I doubt he turns it down because the last coach recruited guys who werent in the Iowa mold. To think you can determine a guy's future because of his mentality on the mat is absurd.

Do you not know how to read??? "If he takes over as a head coach somewhere, I can see him going anywhere..."

If he leaves, it'll be to a school with a mentality that is similar. I'd be shocked if he ends up somewhere that is more finesse and technique.

Do you not know how to read your own post?

Which is why I signified assistant situation Vs head coaching situation. In a head coaching situation, I can see him going anywhere, cause he can make his own guidelines and rules. In an assitant coaching situation, I see him only going to a place that has an Iowa type mentality. Reason being because he'll be under the rules and guidelines of the head coach.

Metcalf is going nowhere until Frayer retires.

Frayer graduated college in 2002. You see him making another go round in 2016? I don't.

Frayer said in a recent interview that London will be his last weigh in