Sign in to follow this  
bob_meadows_167

When does Metcalf start coaching?

Metcalf is relentless and ruthless in his attempts to be the very best. You don't have to have "inside" information or have somebody else tell you that from a reliable source to know that. Watch the guy wrestle, hear the guy talk, and a within seconds you realize that. Olympic gold = your the best in the world and from everything I've seen and heard, that's what he wants to be. Come 2016, he may very well be. I feel almost certain that he will at least certainly try to be. He's the type that will improve, drastically and dramatically over the next four years. He'll get the folkstyle mentality of control out of his system and get the freestyle mentality into it. I say we see him in a quest for the Gold in 2016. Maybe we wont', but that is my prediction.

If Metcalf's goal is a world-level medal, I don't think he should continue working for it because I don't see it happening. If his goal is to be a wrestling coach, he absolutely should continue wrestling while he works contacts.

Metcalf is a great competitor, he exemplified the "Iowa style" in the post Gable Era better than any wrestler but I think he just has reached his ceiling as a wrestler. He is a beast as an American folkstyle wrestler but the freestyle game just doesn't suit him. I dont see him being able to change the way he has wrestled since high school to flourish to the international style.

I assume everyone knows I'm an Iowa guy. So naturally I don't think Metcalf needs to hang it up. Metcalf has a better chance of making a world/olympic team/excelling at the senior level than a TON of guys idolized on this forum. My question to you all is this:pissing on a USA wrestler, let me rephrase, Metcalf has dedicated his life to representing OUR country and he is consistently pissed on. We wouldn't stand for this about any other American wrestler. Hell, I think Teyon Ware sucks on the international level, but when he was our guy I got behind him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when they graduate to the US team they deserve our support. Metcalf does not wrestle for Iowa, he wrestles for the United States of America. He wrestles for YOUR team PSU fans. He wrestles for YOUR team OSU fans. He wrestles for YOUR team Minnesota fans. I'm sure not one word I've said will matter but for what it's worth I think it's time Metcalf gets all your support. No one pisses on the Paulson twins. No one pisses on Keith Gavin. No one pisses on Les Sigman. I think it's time the guy is given his due for giving his life up to this point to representing us all and our country.

Metcalf is going nowhere until Frayer retires.

Metcalf has beated Frayer before, he can beat him again. Frayer just made his first Olympic team at, what, 32? Why is Metcalf's progression going to stop? Nobody's ever come back from a poor showing?

I'm getting a laugh at all the Metcalf hate. He took second at the USOTT. Oh no, he sucks.

----

Indeed. I was thinking the same thing.

I love how he's being written off by the wise men of this forum.

Why? Because Frayer beat him for the Olympic spot. Should OTT 2nd place finisher Simmons give it up? Howe? How about the other guys at Metcalf's weight who finished lower.... Schlatter, Oliver, etc.... should they all throw in the towel?

Frayer was more or less written off a couple of years ago, and he came back to make the team. What's to say Metcalf couldn't end up doing that 4 years from now? Or make the World team next year? Some assume Oliver will be the guy by then even though he just lost to Metcalf at the OTT.

And Headshuck has reminded us that calling Metcalf a great wrestler makes too many folks have "anxiety." Seems he just doesn't get cut any slack with some folks.

Here's an idea. How about give him his due. He had a stellar collegiate career and his FS career is hardly over. An Olympic or World medal may or may not be attained, but if that's his goal, more power to him. Personally, I wouldn't write off his chances.

Did you guys even read the thread or just a select post on page 2? I know I was responding to the 8 more years scenario (he'd be older than Frayer) and the MMA comment. I've come to love Brent like one of my own.

And yes, I'll bet the Schlatter brothers are thinking about life after competitive wrestling.

Nothing wrong with most of the thread. Start one re. another wrestler, let's say Ware and you'll get a similar result.

Pardon my ignorance but I don't see any Metcalf hate on this thread, just a couple guys pumping big man love for Metcalf that have their panties stuck in their crack.

I have much respect for Metcalf, fighting through adversity with the loss of his brother to become the face of NCAA wrestling for 3 years and representing the US on the international level for the last several years.

That said, can he coach? Has he coached? I'm sure he did camps in the off season, but have never heard anything about his coaching style or results. conversely, I have heard people rave about the coaching abilities of a couple of our current studs, namely Kyle Dake who has coaches, wrestlers and media commenting that he is a fantastic coach. David Taylor has been recognized as a great coach as well. I have also heard that Chance Marsteller is an awesome coach, running practices as a HS freshman.

I'm not bashing Metcalf, I just haven't heard anything about his coaching. He doesn't seem to have the charisma and be as approachable as the other guys I mentioned.

Pardon my ignorance but I don't see any Metcalf hate on this thread, just a couple guys pumping big man love for Metcalf that have their panties stuck in their crack.

I have much respect for Metcalf, fighting through adversity with the loss of his brother to become the face of NCAA wrestling for 3 years and representing the US on the international level for the last several years.

That said, can he coach? Has he coached? I'm sure he did camps in the off season, but have never heard anything about his coaching style or results. conversely, I have heard people rave about the coaching abilities of a couple of our current studs, namely Kyle Dake who has coaches, wrestlers and media commenting that he is a fantastic coach. David Taylor has been recognized as a great coach as well. I have also heard that Chance Marsteller is an awesome coach, running practices as a HS freshman.

I'm not bashing Metcalf, I just haven't heard anything about his coaching. He doesn't seem to have the charisma and be as approachable as the other guys I mentioned.

What a completely moronic post! Dake's "coaching" is fantastic? Taylor's is great? Chance Marsteller is awesome? Maybe we should see what happens when they finish college (or high school).Metcalf was the leader in the Iowa room from the moment he arrived in fall 2006. There is little doubt but that his presence, leadership, and support made others like Keddy and Morningstar better--maybe better than they thought they could be. His leadership doesn't stop in the locker room; he was a multiple NCAA academic all-american and a spiritual leader who conducted bible study sessions. He will eventually become an excellent and demanding coach.

I'll take the "I'm responsible for the Metcalf hate" and "panties in the crack" as point not taken. Figured when I wrote it but didn't seem like a good enough reason not to write it. I wouldn't even say I have big man love for Metcalf. Or should I say I have much bigger man love for Jordan Burroughs and Jake Varner, obviously neither Hawkeyes. I try to be transparent and fair in my posts, if it's not perceived that way I couldn't care less.

What a completely moronic post! Dake's "coaching" is fantastic? Taylor's is great? Chance Marsteller is awesome? Maybe we should see what happens when they finish college (or high school).Metcalf was the leader in the Iowa room from the moment he arrived in fall 2006. There is little doubt but that his presence, leadership, and support made others like Keddy and Morningstar better--maybe better than they thought they could be. His leadership doesn't stop in the locker room; he was a multiple NCAA academic all-american and a spiritual leader who conducted bible study sessions. He will eventually become an excellent and demanding coach.

What an Idiotic post. BTW an Idiot has a lower IQ than a moron. heh I think I was asking a legit question crybaby carp. I said I wasn't bashing Metcalf and wrote of my respect for the kid. However, I hadn't heard anything about his coaching EVER. Not Once.

I also have never heard Flo or Intermat or any of the other publications use platitudes to describe the COACHING of Metcalf like they have Dake and others. For Instance; Go to flow and find the video interview from the past couple weeks of Dake where coaches, athletes and the interviewer were raving about his coaching abilities.

You answered my question but you were a real D!#$H3bag about it.

I assume everyone knows I'm an Iowa guy. So naturally I don't think Metcalf needs to hang it up. Metcalf has a better chance of making a world/olympic team/excelling at the senior level than a TON of guys idolized on this forum. My question to you all is this:pissing on a USA wrestler, let me rephrase, Metcalf has dedicated his life to representing OUR country and he is consistently pissed on. We wouldn't stand for this about any other American wrestler. Hell, I think Teyon Ware sucks on the international level, but when he was our guy I got behind him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when they graduate to the US team they deserve our support. Metcalf does not wrestle for Iowa, he wrestles for the United States of America. He wrestles for YOUR team PSU fans. He wrestles for YOUR team OSU fans. He wrestles for YOUR team Minnesota fans. I'm sure not one word I've said will matter but for what it's worth I think it's time Metcalf gets all your support. No one pisses on the Paulson twins. No one pisses on Keith Gavin. No one pisses on Les Sigman. I think it's time the guy is given his due for giving his life up to this point to representing us all and our country.

If you're reacting to a post in this thread, which one did you think was in appropriate?

Overall build up boiled over, the proverbial "straw". The good Dr. has now medicated and everything is fine. It does upset me that fans of US wrestling don't like Metcalf. I just want to ask, "Which part of Metcalf sucks again?" The runner up at the trials part? Why is he the only trials runner up that sucks? Oh wait we covered that, that one is my fault. I don't get it and I assume I never will.

I'm getting a laugh at all the Metcalf hate. He took second at the USOTT. Oh no, he sucks.

----

Indeed. I was thinking the same thing.

I love how he's being written off by the wise men of this forum.

Why? Because Frayer beat him for the Olympic spot. Should OTT 2nd place finisher Simmons give it up? Howe? How about the other guys at Metcalf's weight who finished lower.... Schlatter, Oliver, etc.... should they all throw in the towel?

Frayer was more or less written off a couple of years ago, and he came back to make the team. What's to say Metcalf couldn't end up doing that 4 years from now? Or make the World team next year? Some assume Oliver will be the guy by then even though he just lost to Metcalf at the OTT.

And Headshuck has reminded us that calling Metcalf a great wrestler makes too many folks have "anxiety." Seems he just doesn't get cut any slack with some folks.

Here's an idea. How about give him his due. He had a stellar collegiate career and his FS career is hardly over. An Olympic or World medal may or may not be attained, but if that's his goal, more power to him. Personally, I wouldn't write off his chances.

I'm a big Metcalf fan as I am with most Iowa wrestlers mainly from the past. But just like those guys, I think Metcalf's window for Olympic Gold Medals has closed. If those guys were to try, (McGuiness, McIlravy, Williams, etc., I would call for them to sit down too and give coaching a try instead.

I think an insecurity complex has fallen over the Iowa fan base in general and all they have left to hold on to now is Metcalf as he is still competitive with the nation's elite at the highest level. The college guys seem to have accepted that PSU now rules with OSU emerging as a power and Iowa slowly settling back into a mid top 10 type of program. There is no shame in accepting the clear trend now that Metcalf's class has graduated and Cael is in full swing with his recruiting and coaching wizardry. If anything, the shame falls in not letting go of the past and insisting others are wrong for embracing the present. Anyways, lets try and leave this silly argument and instead lets focus on why Brent should look to coaching or MMA instead of international competition.

As a Metcalf fan, it has become obvious to me that he simply is not going to achieve his goals of multiple gold medals in the Olympics or at least at the world level. He just does not have the technique or style to win consistently on the world level. And there is no shame in that. he has given it his all for 2 Olympic cycles now and he has only made 1 world team and he has showed no signs of putting a medal run together, let alone a gold medal one. Should Dustin give it up too? Yes he should. Lets let our guys move on when it just does not appear to be in the cards for them to win medals, (and make real money in the process). Dustin to coaching would make me very happy and I'm a huge Schlatter fan. Should Oliver give it up? Of course not. He just debuted on this level and greatly impressed. Don't be intentionally obtuse in trying to make a futile case. One guy has shown he has reached his ceiling, the other guy is just getting started and up a weight class, pushed the prohibitive favorite to the brink . He down right made Metcalf look old in a match up that should have been a breeze for the Olympic Gold medal hopeful. And as for Simmons, gosh I hope the most creative wrestler in the US in years gives it as made goes as he wishes. He's already exceeded what Metcalf has accomplished on the world level and he keeps improving his arsenal with creative adn innovative ways to score/win. Perhaps Brent should visit Corvalis and the old Iowa coach and pick up some pointers from Nick. That would get me excited to see Brent out there one more year.

Hey I wont lie, I too like seeing Iowa finishing on top of the college world but just because it wont happen again in the near future doesn't mean I have to come here and melt down to show everyone how insecure I am .

What a moronic post. Myself and Morningstar were expecting an NCAA title from him if not multiple. Following his devastation of the field in Fargo as a HS senior, what was it, 84 points scored vs 1 surrendered? If anything, his college career was a disappointment, no matter how good others view it. If you weren't speaking with Morningstar directly or at least others who were, I wouldn't expect you to know this. Those close to Morningstar know exactly what the expectations were. Stop being a moron posting about things you know little to nothing about.

[highlight=#ffffff][blockquote][blockquote]Cletus, you said:

I think an insecurity complex has fallen over the Iowa fan base in general and all they have left to hold on to now is Metcalf as he is still competitive with the nation's elite at the highest level. The college guys seem to have accepted that PSU now rules with OSU emerging as a power and Iowa slowly settling back into a mid top 10 type of program. >>

You say you are a big Metcalf fan and want to see Iowa on top of the college wrestling world.Then you say Metcalf should give up pursuing FS, and Iowa fans should accept that PSU now rules, with OSU rising, and that Iowa is settling into a mid top 10 level team.Somehow these positions don't fit together very well.But I do agree with you on talking McGuinness, McIlravy and Williams out of trying to come back as FS competitors. Especially since all are about a decade older than Metcalf.Metcalf just turned 26 this month. Assuming Frayer retires after London, I imagine Metcalf will be the highest ranked US wrestler at 66kg. Not exactly the time to give up, imo. And I'm not convinced he couldn't still improve. Sure Oliver will be in the mix, and probably others, but it's presumptuous to write off Metcalf's chances.A couple of other small points. Simmons, who you profess to want to continue for more years, is 4 years older than Metcalf. Regarding Morningstar, he was an outstanding HS wrestler, but was not the top ranked guy in his weight, despite his Fargo performance Sr year. That honor went to Matt Coughlin. Lastly, getting his knee blown out two weeks before his final ncaa appearance severely hurt his chances, but even so, he AA'd.

[/blockquote][/blockquote][/highlight]

I'm a big Metcalf fan as I am with most Iowa wrestlers mainly from the past. But just like those guys, I think Metcalf's window for Olympic Gold Medals has closed. If those guys were to try, (McGuiness, McIlravy, Williams, etc., I would call for them to sit down too and give coaching a try instead.

I think an insecurity complex has fallen over the Iowa fan base in general and all they have left to hold on to now is Metcalf as he is still competitive with the nation's elite at the highest level. The college guys seem to have accepted that PSU now rules with OSU emerging as a power and Iowa slowly settling back into a mid top 10 type of program. There is no shame in accepting the clear trend now that Metcalf's class has graduated and Cael is in full swing with his recruiting and coaching wizardry. If anything, the shame falls in not letting go of the past and insisting others are wrong for embracing the present. Anyways, lets try and leave this silly argument and instead lets focus on why Brent should look to coaching or MMA instead of international competition.

As a Metcalf fan, it has become obvious to me that he simply is not going to achieve his goals of multiple gold medals in the Olympics or at least at the world level. He just does not have the technique or style to win consistently on the world level. And there is no shame in that. he has given it his all for 2 Olympic cycles now and he has only made 1 world team and he has showed no signs of putting a medal run together, let alone a gold medal one. Should Dustin give it up too? Yes he should. Lets let our guys move on when it just does not appear to be in the cards for them to win medals, (and make real money in the process). Dustin to coaching would make me very happy and I'm a huge Schlatter fan. Should Oliver give it up? Of course not. He just debuted on this level and greatly impressed. Don't be intentionally obtuse in trying to make a futile case. One guy has shown he has reached his ceiling, the other guy is just getting started and up a weight class, pushed the prohibitive favorite to the brink . He down right made Metcalf look old in a match up that should have been a breeze for the Olympic Gold medal hopeful. And as for Simmons, gosh I hope the most creative wrestler in the US in years gives it as made goes as he wishes. He's already exceeded what Metcalf has accomplished on the world level and he keeps improving his arsenal with creative adn innovative ways to score/win. Perhaps Brent should visit Corvalis and the old Iowa coach and pick up some pointers from Nick. That would get me excited to see Brent out there one more year.

Hey I wont lie, I too like seeing Iowa finishing on top of the college world but just because it wont happen again in the near future doesn't mean I have to come here and melt down to show everyone how insecure I am .

----

Cletus, you say you are a big Metcalf fan and want to see Iowa on top of the college wrestling world.

Then you say Metcalf should give up pursuing FS, and Iowa fans should accept that PSU now rules, with OSU rising, and that Iowa is settling into a mid top 10 level team.

Somehow these positions don't fit together very well.

But I do agree with you on talking McGuinness, McIlravy and Williams out of trying to come back as FS competitors. Especially since all are about a decade older than Metcalf.

Metcalf just turned 26 this month. Assuming Frayer retires after London, I imagine Metcalf will be the highest ranked US wrestler at 66kg. Not exactly the time to give up, imo. And I'm not convinced he couldn't still improve. Sure Oliver will be in the mix, and probably others, but it's presumptuous to write off Metcalf's chances.

A couple of other small points.

Simmons, who you profess to want to continue for more years, is 4 years older than Metcalf.

Regarding Morningstar, he was an outstanding HS wrestler, but was not the top ranked guy in his weight, despite his Fargo performance Sr year. That honor went to Matt Coughlin. Lastly, getting his knee blown out two weeks before his final ncaa appearance severely hurt his chances, but even so, he AA'd.

[highlight=#e1ebf2]Cletus, you say you are a big Metcalf fan and want to see Iowa on top of the college wrestling world.[/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2]Then you say Metcalf should give up pursuing FS, and Iowa fans should accept that PSU now rules, with OSU rising, and that Iowa is settling into a mid top 10 level team.[/highlight]

[highlight=#e1ebf2]Somehow these positions don't fit together very well.[/highlight]

Yes those are my positions and I suspect the reason you're having a tough time grasping the concept is because you lack reality in evaluating your team and its chances over the next few years. Penn State continues to get better and Iowa moves further and further from their recent peak. But the fan base should blindly think they are going to win it this coming season. M'kay...

And this isn't about Brent being 26 years old, he's been on the senior circuit for 2 cycles now and we're seeing his ceiling. Not just you or I but guys with more experience and a better eye than either of us. Let me ask you point blank, his goal is to win multiple olympic golds. Do you see that as realistic?

As a Metcalf fan, it has become obvious to me that he simply is not going to achieve his goals of multiple gold medals in the Olympics or at least at the world level. He just does not have the technique or style to win consistently on the world level. And there is no shame in that. he has given it his all for 2 Olympic cycles now and he has only made 1 world team and he has showed no signs of putting a medal run together, let alone a gold medal one. Should Dustin give it up too? Yes he should. Lets let our guys move on when it just does not appear to be in the cards for them to win medals, (and make real money in the process).

Cletus, I dont mean to be a dick, but do you have kids? Are you the best parent in the entire world? Probably not, but you wouldnt just give up your kids because you arent the premiere parent on planet earth. Wrestlers wrestle because they love the sport. To say it modestly, I wouldnt be surprised if Metcalf or any other Olympic wrestler has put more actual man hours into training than many parents put into their kids. To just pack it up and quit because the odds of being the best in the world would be just like quitting your dream job because there are a few other individuals in the world who can do that job better.

Cletus, I dont mean to be a dick, but do you have kids? Are you the best parent in the entire world? Probably not, but you wouldnt just give up your kids because you arent the premiere parent on planet earth. Wrestlers wrestle because they love the sport. To say it modestly, I wouldnt be surprised if Metcalf or any other Olympic wrestler has put more actual man hours into training than many parents put into their kids. To just pack it up and quit because the odds of being the best in the world would be just like quitting your dream job because there are a few other individuals in the world who can do that job better.

Now I never said Metcalf is going to do that, I said I would like to see him move on and the reasoning for this is he is not at all likely to achieve his goals. I am probably more likely to win the state lotto.

As to your question about me having kids, yes I have 5 and they all wrestle. I am probably not the best parent in the world and I can't wait for the last 1 to turn 18 so I can get this parenting thing over with! Why on earth did I allow the wife to convince me to give her 5 and not just the 2 i wanted?

Old Dirty I hope Brent does what makes him the most happy. Sadly in many cases athletes stick around far too long for their own good. They miss out on other quality aspects of life and they end up with the woulda coulda shoulda mentality. I certainly don't want that for one of our greatest folkstylers of the past decade. And he has a family, that family deserves his time and happiness as well, time lost in competing and money lost in not getting started on his eventual career. Point blank I'd like to see him save the next 4 years from wrestling and apply them to coaching and bolster his resume for when a head coaching position opens up, he can have a shot at it. I don't even care much for him in MMA. I'd really like to see him be a wrestling lifer at the division 1 coaching level.

Always enlightening to come on this forum and be instructed on the distinction between "moron" and "idiot" as clinical designations about 50 years out-of-date. Also being told what Morningstar's expectations were when he entered Iowa, before devastating injuries dirng his redshirt and senior years. (incidentally, I have talked with him about this, his successes in his last two years, and the effect Metcalf had in the room)

More to the point of whether Metcalf should hang it up and turn to coaching: It has been noted here that he is only 26, two years out of college, and has been at or near the top of the ladder for a few years. Consider two other cases.

Bill Zadick completed college competition in 1996. He made no significant FS impact until 1999, was USFS champ in 2001. At the 2004 Olympic trials he looked to be at the end of his career, losing to Bono and losing his cool in the frustration. Yet, he came back two years later to win the World title at the age of 33.

Doug Schwab's last year of college wrestling was 2001 when he was runnerup to Michael Lighner. He continued to compete, not winning a national FS title until 2007, and as a long shot, became an Olympian the next year at the age of 30/31.

It would seem Metcalf has a few more years to work at it befor he considers his wrestling career has run its course.

Old Dirty I hope Brent does what makes him the most happy. Sadly in many cases athletes stick around far too long for their own good. They miss out on other quality aspects of life and they end up with the woulda coulda shoulda mentality. I certainly don't want that for one of our greatest folkstylers of the past decade. And he has a family, that family deserves his time and happiness as well, time lost in competing and money lost in not getting started on his eventual career. Point blank I'd like to see him save the next 4 years from wrestling and apply them to coaching and bolster his resume for when a head coaching position opens up, he can have a shot at it. I don't even care much for him in MMA. I'd really like to see him be a wrestling lifer at the division 1 coaching level.

Some people do not share the mainstream path of thinking like this. Personally, I never even made a world team, but if I had to decide between never wrestling and never having children and a family, I choose wrestling every time. A person gets MAYBE 10 years or so to compete, and about 30 or so to coach. To trade out 4 years of competition to coach IMO is very foolish, especially at the level that Mr. Metcalf is.