Sign in to follow this  
nom

Eye pokes - unique or same as injury

I seem to see eye pokes treated differently than other injuries, usually. Kid waves folks off, holding his eye. Ref blows whistle. Let's the kid recover. No injury time. No choice for other wrestler.

This makes sense for me. We do NOT want to incent eye pokes.

Is it treated differently than other injuries in an official way?

Then the Kasper situation. Did not see the situation up close but it seemed to be related to eye. Nevills gets choice after injury time.

Can someone explain all this?

Edited by nom

One response, hopefully still on topic, is that as a ref sometimes the problem is a contact lens.  And what most guys will do is that if the kid wants to hand off a loose contact to his coach, that's free (no I.T.).  But if he wants to put it back in, that starts the clock. 

So, when a kid backs off holding his eye you don't immediately know if it is an eye poke or a contact lens deal. 

If we allow time for eye pokes we will have a hundred guys grabbing their eyes just like they used to grab their knees to take a lung timeout. I hate how this one ended, but the rule works on the whole.

Why didn't they review it?

Eye pokes aren't legal.

Nevliss should have been penalized, not Kasper.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Eye pokes aren't legal.

I didn't see anything obvious in the review.  I'm sure it happened, but nothing in the video looked anything like a penalty.  Kasper shot and Nevills must have caught him with a scratch across the eye.

You haters are pure gold.  There is nothing quite as precious and delicious, as watching you all melt down as our Dynasty dominates it's way to a 6th National Championship in 7 years.

You're an idiot.  Nobody is rooting against PSU in this match half an hour after the team title was wrapped up.  People just don't like seeing a guy lose because he got accidentally poked in the eye in OT.  I bet the huge majority of PSU fans feel the same way.

Eye pokes aren't legal.

That is interesting...the headgear pull appeared incidental and a point was given because it's not legal.  The eye poke also seemed incidental, but it was let go.  Does that come down to the coaches not challenging it?  

I didn't see anything obvious in the review. I'm sure it happened, but nothing in the video looked anything like a penalty. Kasper shot and Nevills must have caught him with a scratch across the eye.

I agree it wasn't blatant, but it did decide the match in OT.

I would like to see the rule changed in the area of eye pokes. Unlimited time to recover.

I agree it wasn't blatant, but it did decide the match in OT.

I would like to see the rule changed in the area of eye pokes. Unlimited time to recover.

Then be prepared for a sudden spike in eye pokes next year as guys abuse the rule just like they did the injury rule.

Nevills could have chosen neutral.  It's an interesting moral debate here.  The "right" thing to do is pick neutral, since Kasper didn't gain any advantage by what happened, he wasn't in danger of getting taken down.  But you're trying to max out your placing, so I feel most of us would pick down.

Nevills could have chosen neutral.  It's an interesting moral debate here.  The "right" thing to do is pick neutral, since Kasper didn't gain any advantage by what happened, he wasn't in danger of getting taken down.  But you're trying to max out your placing, so I feel most of us would pick down.

Nevills owes himself, his teammates, and his school a lot more than he owes Kasper.  The right thing to do was whatever he wanted to do there.

Then be prepared for a sudden spike in eye pokes next year as guys abuse the rule just like they did the injury rule.

Why? The guy poking would give one point for the violation ( penality).

Second poke, DQ.

Edited by cjc007

If we allow time for eye pokes we will have a hundred guys grabbing their eyes just like they used to grab their knees to take a lung timeout.  I hate how this one ended, but the rule works on the whole. 

Doesn't video review solve that pretty easily? Get caught faking it, get docked a penalty point or even DQ. Nobody would try to sneak a lung timeout if those were the consequences. It doesn't take a video review every time, either. A couple of incidents and the country at large would be alerted and refrain.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Nevills owes himself, his teammates, and his school a lot more than he owes Kasper. The right thing to do was whatever he wanted to do there.

At least he wasn't part of the Paterno motto "Success with Honor".

Ironic?

Why? The guy poking would give one point for the violation ( penality).

Second poke, DQ.

I meant get ready for a spike because guys will fake it.  Just like we used to have a few hundred injury timeouts and now we have about 10 all tournament.

Am I hallucinating? I do feel like eye pokes are usually given a pass, meaning no injury time. No?

Is it really the ref wondering if it is a contact lens? I thought Cox got eye poked a couple times just in the last couple of matches. Ref let him shake it off.

This is not about Penn State. I'm asking a rules question because of the recent incident but it is simply a question.

It is not like Nevills walked up and gouged his eye, Kasper shot straight into him without any angle. It was Kasper moving his head into Nevills finger as much as Nevills bringing his hand up. The ref did give Kasper a few seconds to see if he could continue after he screamed out.