Sign in to follow this  
nom

Eye pokes - unique or same as injury

You haters are pure gold. There is nothing quite as precious and delicious, as watching you all melt down as our Dynasty dominates it's way to a 6th National Championship in 7 years.

You said OSU wouldn't win. Most of us said they were the favorites.

Pretty embarrassing

It is not like Nevills walked up and gouged his eye, Kasper shot straight into him without any angle. It was Kasper moving his head into Nevills finger as much as Nevills bringing his hand up. The ref did give Kasper a few seconds to see if he could continue after he screamed out.

So you're blaming him for creating action with a double....

I don't know what is 'right' here. What I do know is that most of us would have liked to see this match decided by the wrestlers and not by a referees decision.

This was not decided by a referees decision. Yagla/Kemp was, and prevented our first 4-timer.

Just like Hall vs Zahid

I was thinking more about the match that was decided in OT on the third caution.  But, I'll take your point as well.  Sometimes, and the is no way around it, the rules actually get in the way of letting the wrestlers decide the winner.

The problem with eye pokes is that the hand is quicker than the eye so refs don't see them happening.  Jammenz hates like NO other, lmao.

5872d1617823b.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C81

If that was Lambert grabbing Suriano's headgear so that he could get more leverage with his thumb poke the PSU fanatics would still be screaming foul.

It is not like Nevills walked up and gouged his eye, Kasper shot straight into him without any angle. It was Kasper moving his head into Nevills finger as much as Nevills bringing his hand up. The ref did give Kasper a few seconds to see if he could continue after he screamed out.

When i first saw it in real time i thought Kasper banged his face on Nevills knee.

If we allow time for eye pokes we will have a hundred guys grabbing their eyes just like they used to grab their knees to take a lung timeout. I hate how this one ended, but the rule works on the whole.

The problem is that causing a loss in this manner is way worse than a jersey tornado imo. You're penalizing a kid for creating action by penalizing kasper for getting poked. That event deserves leeway. Closing the distance into a finger like that should be treated differently. If the roles were reversed I would feel the same way. It's wrong to penalize a kid for being on the receiving end of that

jammenz is in more agony than Kasper was. His emotional reaction to Sanderson doubling up JRob's NCAA National Championship Tournament titles is not escaped on those that know his posts.

Back to the subject: An inadvertent eye-poke that stops action shouldn't be penalized. Awarding choice in that situation is not optimal, but it is the rule. 

I seem to recall those that did ended up being the beneficiary of a unsportsmanship default? Boy he'd get mad!

Yeah, he did. But then, he also had retinal detachments in each eye.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem is that causing a loss in this manner is way worse than a jersey tornado imo. You're penalizing a kid for creating action by penalizing kasper for getting poked. That event deserves leeway. Closing the distance into a finger like that should be treated differently. If the roles were reversed I would feel the same way. It's wrong to penalize a kid for being on the receiving end of that

Yes causing a loss is worse than an injury timeout.  

But it's not worse than 100 injury timeouts.  Do you not remember how ridiculous it had gotten?  Every finals match was some guy taking a lunger.

And don't act like those injury timeouts weren't deciding matches.  Daniel Lewis and countless others are probably in the finals if they are allowed to whirl their finger for a timeout (not meant as a knock on him, just that he lost due to gas tank).  Allowing free injury timeouts decides a lot more matches than accidental eye pokes.

I don't like that injury choice when it wasn't Kasper's fault. Nevills wasn't at fault either. They should have put them back on neutral. It's more fair that way. A rule should be created to reflect that accidental poke would put them back as they were. Intentional poke would get a penalty point, of course.

Edited by Buckeyebison

Boconnell. First of all my nephew was a 2 time all-American for Penn State. I support Penn State. When a rule is bad and it effects the outcome of a match it needs to go. They now have video review. When I wrestled in college they didn't and a few guys took injury time for lung timeouts.. If this rule was in effect when I wrestled I would have chosen neutral .We all wanted to win .But you have to show some class.

I know sometimes refs if they know it's inadvertent and see the guy is somewhat disoriented will stop it on their own. But usually it's an immediate restart and the guy doesn't need any time to recover.

But in this case Kasper called for the injury time himself correct (didn't see it)?

I know sometimes refs if they know it's inadvertent and see the guy is somewhat disoriented will stop it on their own. But usually it's an immediate restart and the guy doesn't need any time to recover.

But in this case Kasper called for the injury time himself correct (didn't see it)?

He shot a double and came out covering his eye with his hand. Wasn't a simple poke off a hand fight. He accelerated into an accidental poke. You don't just recover from that in 5 seconds. The eye, as we should all know, is a sensitive organ, and accelerating it into a blunt object can cause actual trauma. In that scenario it should be understood that the guy isn't looking for time, he's looking to see. A rule basically rewarding accidental pokes like that is idiotic and the finish of that match has to bother people