Sign in to follow this  
ArmDrag14

Askren or Cox?

Both so good I wouldn't want to rank them. Askren was more dominant and a 2x Hodge winner. He was a 4x finalist. He beat a futures Hodge winner (I think) in the finals. Cox won as a true frosh. He was a 3x-er. He took an Olympic bronze while still in college.

Both so good I wouldn't want to rank them. Askren was more dominant and a 2x Hodge winner. He was a 4x finalist. He beat a futures Hodge winner (I think) in the finals. Cox won as a true frosh. He was a 3x-er. He took an Olympic bronze while still in college.

Yeah, Askren dismantled Jake Herbert in the finals one year. They were both undefeated at the time.

I see Cox having problems with the perception he doesn't push things. He doesn't "win big".

A few decades ago I watched another wrestler who was much lighter(in my weight class tho I never met him on the mat) and was dinged at times because he did not "win big". He beat everyone he met, won Olympic Gold before coming back to school his Junior year. Yojo Uetake.

Winning without forcing the opponent into total humiliation is not a problem, it is a good thing. J'den Cox does this just as Uetake did.

Everything I see about Cox is positive. I hope he stays with wrestling and represents the US in many World events.

I'm not so sure Cox could beat Askren in a Folkstyle match even now, with Ben giving up weight/age. Remember what happened when he took on Herbert after a long time off the folkstyle mat?

Cox beats Askren now.  When Ben came back and beat Herbert at Midlands, that was like 7 years ago, and it's been about 5 years since Ben wrestled competitively.  Cox is at the top of the heap now (at a higher weight class), and is only going to get better.  

I'm still not convinced. It's not like Askren has allowed himself to go to seed. He's still in great shape thanks to MMA. Plus, and I know Cox has more NCAA titles...Askren was a significantly better folkstyle wrestler, imo. He was a better mat wrestler than JDen.

Oh well, it's all hot air speculation anyway.

I bet Ben reads these boards. Ben, throw it out there and ask the 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalist and three-time NCAA champ from your alma mater to go at it in public. I'd say you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.