Sign in to follow this  
cangemi

Throw me

I, for one loved it.  To me it was a reflection of the bond between a coach and their athlete.  That Brands was so excited for Clark that he didn't know what else to do with his feelings is indicative of Brands love for the sport and his athletes.  That Clark didn't want to do it, I saw as a show of respect for his coach, yet he dutifully did as instructed.  Great gesture from both in an exciting and fitting time.  Hope others see it the same way.  Congratulations Cory Clark...class act!

p.s. wrestled Terry in college and didn't much care for him so this is a change in my opinion, long overdue I suspect.

Edited by Coolbeans

I, for one loved it.  To me it was a reflection of the bond between a coach and their athlete.  That Brands was so excited for Clark that he didn't know what else to do with his feelings is indicative of Brands love for the sport and his athletes.  That Clark didn't want to do it, I saw as a show of respect for his coach, yet he dutifully did as instructed.  Great gesture from both in an exciting and fitting time.  Hope others see it the same way.  Congratulations Cory Clark...class act!

p.s. wrestled Terry in college and didn't much care for him so this is a change in my opinion, long overdue I suspect.

It would have been great if it was original but it wasn't. It was just Brands acting like a little kid that saw something somewhere and thought it was cool...

I guess I'm ok with it as a one off - coaches should have fun too. In the end, wrestlers (and coaches) are kids at heart. But infinitely better if Clark would have done it spontaneously. Clark seemed somewhat baffled by it in the interview. Not his character at all me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the basic difference in coaching from Brands to Cael.

Brands seems to be an awful lot about him.

Cael is about his wrestlers.

No two coaches are the same, that's why I liked it.  Perfectly within the Brands/Iowa mold to ask his athlete to throw him while Cael does not.

In the end, if you are a blue chip recruit and/or a parent of one, you are definitely looking at PSU and what those kids say about their Coach.  On the other hand, you also witnessed another example of a coach/athlete interaction not commonly seen.  

Edited by Coolbeans

Clark didn't even look at him after he did it, he just brushed him aside and went to shake Gross' hand.

That's not how it went down. Clark gave him a pat as he got up and ran to the center to shake hands. He couldn't take too long and leave his opponent in the middle of the mat waiting. When Quint interviewed him, Clark was serious but managed to crack a smile when talking about throwing Terry. There's clearly respect and appreciation there.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

For those that don't know, throwing your coach after winning a big match is common in international wrestling.

Yeah, why shouldn't a coach want to have fun with his pupil?

Just watching Clark's post match interview it seems he was a bit high strung and Terry was trying to get him to enjoy the moment.

Loved the throw and loved listening to their interaction afterwards

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk