Sign in to follow this  
OUcat

Why have stalling?

I hate stalling penalties. I remember wrestling a big kid, 3 or 4 time state runnerup, he was strong as hell. All he'd do was lock up and push. I shot on him 5 or 6 times, real attempts too, and got called for stalling because he was pushing me when I wasn't shooting. The ref never seemed to notice he never took a shot. Just locking up and pushing shouldn't be enough to get points. Might as well be Sumo. No saying that's what Hall did, just explaining why I hate stalling penalties.

Regarding BoJo...I doubt if he complains about the non-call. But Hall was running his ass off, lol.

Yeah, Bo is at least 2 years older than Mark probably closer to 3. I think he was held back as well. Would make sense with Micah being only a grade behind. I remember people bringing up Stieber's age, so I guess this issue is never going to die. Still impressive of Mark. It's every bit as impressive as a redshirt freshman winning a national championship, and maybe even a tiny bit more so because he only had 9 months in the college room.

Edited by LemonPie

was like Hall went into the FS mentality of defending the center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't disagree, but when you're presenting yourself in the middle of the mat that usually doesn't warrant a stalling call in folkstyle.  Hall wasn't constantly backing up. He was there to be taken down if Bo could have got it done, IMO.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

No one is blaming Hall.

The official in his semi match was worse than the final bout imo.

It's the nature of folkstyle, subjective rules interpretation. Especially stalling calls.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bingo.  That was ridiculsou. Hall sat there and did nothing for the entire match, wouldn't even engage. Zahid chased him for 7 minutes, but ultimately wasn't wearing a singlet from the right school, and couldn't get a call.

I never got this line of thinking. Hall wrestled the same way all 7 minutes and Bo starts spamming bad shots for 30 seconds and now Hall is stalling? Nope. The better wrestler won.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I don't see why so many believe that Hall deserved a second stall call. Some were calling for stalling while Hall was digging in the double underhooks. Hall did enough to get a fair, uncontroversial win imo.

If Mark Hall wrestles for South Dakota State, this thread never happens.

If Mark Hall wrestles at SDSU? Semifinals..., the referees review a Coach Bono contested call, of Valencia grabbing the headgear on a takedown. After review, not enough to warrant a penalty. The referee comes out on the mat, and the call stands. The match is a whole different story. Hall is not ahead by one, and now not stalling, as opposed to the actual match.

Hypothetical SDSU Hall in a finals match. Hall leads by one, but is warned for stalling with approx 35 seconds remaining. The ref brings the wrestling to the middle for another start, after going off the mat. Immediately after blowing the whistle, Hall backs up, shuffles back and forth, ties up, but still going back. The referee is not intimidated, and tags Hall for stalling after 20 seconds of this- and ties the match, sending it into overtime. ( yes, Bono is in a rage)

Like it or not, many of these calls, and video reviews of contested calls, are arbitrary. Tell me it's no different for a referee to make a decision, with a Cael Sanderson or a Roger Kish sitting there, then I have a bridge to sell you.

21guns- I think you might be right, that if Hall wrestled for SDSU, this thread doesn't happen, but neither do the same calls happen.

Tom Ryan posted a tweet calling out the ncaa officiating on this match especially with the review process. Posted pics from all angles and hall was 100 percent taken down. Oh, and he was absolutely stalling for a minute in the 3rd period without getting hit.

Hall did get hit with one stalling call in the finals.

Anyone can make one stall.It has no effect  especially if you have no intention of making the 2nd stall call. Now the ref that

can make the 2nd call really shows some character and some balls which this ref had neither.

Anyone can make one stall.It has no effect  especially if you have no intention of making the 2nd stall call. Now the ref that

can make the 2nd call really shows some character and some balls which this ref had neither.

The thing that really got me about this is that Hall stalled a lot less to get his first stall call than he did after getting dinged. How you tell a guy to force action by dinging him, and then NOT ding him for not listening to you and continuing to stall for even longer is totally beyond me. Even Dresser, with zero rorting interest, was surprised by the non-call.

The entire arena outside of the penn state faithful were surprised by the non call. I was sitting next to individuals from at least 6 different schools (none of which were Ohio state) who were on the feet booing the ref in that exchange. It was bad. Bojo definitely should have been awarded a point.

The thing that really got me about this is that Hall stalled a lot less to get his first stall call than he did after getting dinged. How you tell a guy to force action by dinging him, and then NOT ding him for not listening to you and continuing to stall for even longer is totally beyond me. Even Dresser, with zero rorting interest, was surprised by the non-call.

Even If they called stalling on Hall ( which they rarely ever do in this situation),  Hall still wins with the final takedown.