Sign in to follow this  
OUcat

Why have stalling?

Even If they called stalling on Hall ( which they rarely ever do in this situation), Hall still wins with the final takedown.

No. he only got that takedown because Bo was forced to go for it due to the terrible officiating.

Same with halls takedown on Zahid.

Hall won, but he didn't outwrestle either opponent. In another singlet, he would have placed 3rd.

Even If they called stalling on Hall ( which they rarely ever do in this situation),  Hall still wins with the final takedown.

I don't think that final TD happens if they call stalling. Bo wouldn't have had to extend himself trying desperation shots in the final seconds.

But anyway, my point was more about the officiating decision, not the match itself.

If Mark Hall wrestles at SDSU? Semifinals..., the referees review a Coach Bono contested call, of Valencia grabbing the headgear on a takedown. After review, not enough to warrant a penalty. The referee comes out on the mat, and the call stands. The match is a whole different story. Hall is not ahead by one, and now not stalling, as opposed to the actual match.

Hypothetical SDSU Hall in a finals match. Hall leads by one, but is warned for stalling with approx 35 seconds remaining. The ref brings the wrestling to the middle for another start, after going off the mat. Immediately after blowing the whistle, Hall backs up, shuffles back and forth, ties up, but still going back. The referee is not intimidated, and tags Hall for stalling after 20 seconds of this- and ties the match, sending it into overtime. ( yes, Bono is in a rage)

Like it or not, many of these calls, and video reviews of contested calls, are arbitrary. Tell me it's no different for a referee to make a decision, with a Cael Sanderson or a Roger Kish sitting there, then I have a bridge to sell you.

21guns- I think you might be right, that if Hall wrestled for SDSU, this thread doesn't happen, but neither do the same calls happen.

Just re-watched it. There was no restart in the final minute. Watching live I thought they might call stalling but re-watching it I only really saw one time he backed up in the final minute, 2 if you count immediately before taking the shot to ice it.

I do think Bo should have had 2 on that review though.

No. he only got that takedown because Bo was forced to go for it due to the terrible officiating.

Same with halls takedown on Zahid.

Hall won, but he didn't outwrestle either opponent. In another singlet, he would have placed 3rd.

There is no good reason to assume that Hall would have lost even if he was hit with a controversial second stalling call.

Every knows when stalling is happening. It’s frustrating to the fan when it is not called. In NJ, the best refs call it instantly. Some speculate this is one of the reasons NJ is a top wrestling State.

Always liked that about NJ. It is definitely aggravating when big matches go down like that. It makes a warning pretty much useless if they aren't willing to ding someone for not getting into gear after the warning was given. 

Always liked that about NJ. It is definitely aggravating when big matches go down like that. It makes a warning pretty much useless if they aren't willing to ding someone for not getting into gear after the warning was given.

Unless the guy is tired, once a warning has been issued, he starts wrestling.