Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Rank NCAA Finals Performances

1. Joseph sticking Imart with double overs after outwrestling him the whole match.

I still can barely believe it. Imart must really love PSU. His only two losses: two sticks by PSU freshmen.

2. Clark gritting out a win with a busted shoulder and then throwing Brands.

Grittiest performance of the night. That match was the exclamation point on the toughness he displayed all tournament, especially against Tomasello in the semis. He showed no fear going under Gross and completely forgot about getting funked in his first shot as he kept attacking, then rode the sht out of Gross for the win. 

3. Retherford completely dominating.

Even non-wrestling people can watch him and see how much of a badass he is. Punishing. By far the last guy I'd want to wrestle at any weight.

4. Snyder showing us that in the end, wrestling is about technique first and foremost.

He gave up 40ish pounds of size, height and reach, strength, pretty much everything but technique. But his technique was so fundamentally sound that nothing else mattered.

5. Nolf putting on a TD clinic.

I almost want to rank this lower because the match was actually boring to me once he got going and lost all spectator value. I love the technique of wrestling above all else, but it was just too easy, like watching a guy drill moves. Effortless.

6. Heil proving again he is the best guy at the weight in all positions.

Love him or hate him, everyone must now acnknowledge Heil's greatness. He is the best from the feet, from top, from bottom, from scrambles. He is a complete wrestler in every way. He scored decisively when it mattered most (to gain a lead and to protect it) and fended off a VERY game DiCamillo who was clearly on a vision quest that went back a dozen years.

7. Cox being Cox.

He was so precise and moved so well for a big guy. He probably could've blown the match out but didn't, doing a little more than enough to win. A safe but great performance and display of very high level wrestling.

8. Nickal denying the Destoyer of Worlds (who now needs a new nickname).

The feat deserves possibly top 2 status, but the performance itself--by BOTH guys--brings this down. 

9. Cruz edging out the Lizard.

Not enough action but the action there was was exciting. That roll Cruz hit on the edge to get the TD was beautiful. 

10. Hall avenging his loss to Bojo.

I don't mean to be a hater, because I'm not (I've got two PSU guys at the top of my list), but that was stalling. I watched it a few times to make sure that's how I felt. I don't know how you ding a guy for less stalling than the guy keeps doing AFTER the call and not ding him again. Anyway, even without that, the match was the most boring one to me.
Edited by wrestlingnerd

1. Joseph sticking Imart with double overs after outwrestling him the whole match.

I still can barely believe it. Imart must really love PSU. His only two losses: two sticks by PSU freshmen.

Shock and awe. This didn't really happen did it? TBar hacked into the broadcast and streamed CGI PSU propaganda fantasy right? Joseph? The marginal AA wannabe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shock and awe. This didn't really happen did it? TBar hacked into the broadcast and streamed CGI PSU propaganda fantasy right? Joseph? The marginal AA wannabe?

I'm afraid to go to sleep - might wake up and realize it was all just a dream.

P.S. Great list, 'nerd.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

11. The officials of the dean/nickal and especially hall/Jordan matches. They did not do a great job at all imo.

Heil is at the bottom of the actual list for me tied with Mark hall. I don't think I'd have clark that high, personally, but I can understand the excitement if you're an iowa fan. I agree with your list otherwise.

11. The officials of the dean/nickal and especially hall/Jordan matches. They did not do a great job at all imo.

Heil is at the bottom of the actual list for me tied with Mark hall. I don't think I'd have clark that high, personally, but I can understand the excitement if you're an iowa fan. I agree with your list otherwise.

How is Heil at the bottom?  Aside from being Heil what could he possibly have done there that was a bad performance?

4. Snyder showing us that in the end, wrestling is about technique first and foremost.

He gave up 40ish pounds of size, height and reach, strength, pretty much everything but technique. But his technique was so fundamentally sound that nothing else mattered.

Point taken, but after seeing Snyder lift Medbery, I'm not so sure he was giving up much on strength. Goodness!

Edited by Alyosha

8. Nickal denying the Destoyer of Worlds (who now needs a new nickname).

Hmmm ... the "recently eclipsed" destroyer of worlds?

How do you beat the destroyer of worlds? You planet. Da Dum.

And the old "I really enjoyed"..... naw. Dean deserves respect ... he's a great wrestler and even better person.

Point taken, but after seeing Snyder lift Medbery, I'm not so sure he was giving up much on strength. Goodness!

Snyder was also wrestling hurt.  When he took him down the first time it was with so much force that they literally bounced off the mat.  That had to hurt like hell with the condition of his ribs.  He's lucky it didn't knock the wind out of him.

For me the top performance was the scale that Missouri used to weigh in. Cox and Lavallee both looked like a whole weight class above and Mayes looked way bigger than Mark Hall.

You thought Lavallee looked bigger than Nolf? I thought Nolf looked bigger personally

Cruz looked like a 115lber to me and he beat Gilman and the dude who majored him earlier in the year. Of the champs he was the least likely coming in and he beat the 1 seed

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Agree that was very impressive, but tough to argue which guy it should be higher than.

Joseph. Joseph. Joseph.

At the start of the year I actually thought he was a plodder and would have wagered a decent amount against him AA-ING. Maybe that's just bad instincts on my part. But last night Joseph was the man. He looked and wrestled like the better wrestler and until IMart was on his back I think hit IMart had brought his A-game.

I confess. Lol.

I do want to mention something though. That Vincenzo is quite the wrestler. Some here probably favored Lewis to beat him, then most on here probably favored Massa to beat him, then 99.8 percent thought I mar would beat him. Happy for him.

I was going to post this morning but I have nothing to add to wrestlingnerd's list, even down to #10 with Hall stalling, and I'm a homer.  Great, great finals action.  Given all the posts about the betting odds at each weight, I wonder what the odds would have been for a PSU "quintfecta", or whatever you call picking five winners out of five?  Especially when Joseph and Hall had to be underdogs, and Nickal a push.  Unbelievable. 

I confess. Lol.

I do want to mention something though. That Vincenzo is quite the wrestler. Some here probably favored Lewis to beat him, then most on here probably favored Massa to beat him, then 99.8 percent thought I mar would beat him. Happy for him.

I think Lewis was a bad matchup for him because of the length.  If the gas tank doesn't fail Lewis I think he wins that one.  I think they're pretty close to 50/50 in a rematch because of the matchup.

But he was the flat better wrestler in the finals and I'd pick him in a rematch with Imar.  Imar doesn't have a ton outside the underhook and he looked afraid of using his own underhook for most of the match (and should have been afraid of using the underhook for the rest of the match).  

I didn't watch the Massa match close enough to comment.

But I think he is the definite favorite next year.  I don't think this was an upset that can't be repeated, but rather a sign of things to come.  Awesome improvement, and a perfect marriage of tools and style.  One of the best testaments to coaching I've seen.

Edited by boconnell

How about coach Cunningham's performance in the semis that opened the door for Hall's championship

...Uncovered Headgear-gate which went unnoticed by not one but two refs   

talk about PSU and bonuses - Cunningham deserves one

At the start of the year I actually thought he was a plodder and would have wagered a decent amount against him AA-ING. Maybe that's just bad instincts on my part. But last night Joseph was the man. 

Your instincts weren't that bad because Joseph WAS a bit of a plodder at the start of the season. By the end of the season, anyone who was paying close attention saw the steady and very dramatic improvement in his hips, his movement, his attack selection, and his conditioning.  Pure and simple he was coached up from low AA at best to sticking Imart after outwrestling him for over 2 periods. Kevin Dresser, a top coach who commentated in the finals alongside Lee Kemp, noticed it, and Imart himself noticed it. Imart said in a pre-finals interview he expected to wrestle Joseph and had noticed he was "wrestling really well" and predicted Joseph would beat Massa (Massa, by the way, was a better talent than Joseph to start the year but has NOT made the same strides as Joseph, who is by far the most improved guy at the weight over the past 3 months).

Joseph is the poster boy against the sentiment that Cael doesn't develop talent as well as he recruits. I don't think he makes the finals in any other program in the country. It pains me to say this a bit because I like more parity for my selfish viewing excitement (foregone conclusions like what 2018 will be are not that fun to watch), but you've got to give it up when it's this obvious.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I think Lewis was a bad matchup for him because of the length. If the gas tank doesn't fail Lewis I think he wins that one. I think they're pretty close to 50/50 in a rematch because of the matchup.

But he was the flat better wrestler in the finals and I'd pick him in a rematch with Imar. Imar doesn't have a ton outside the underhook and he looked afraid of using his own underhook for most of the match (and should have been afraid of using the underhook for the rest of the match).

I didn't watch the Massa match close enough to comment.

But I think he is the definite favorite next year. I don't think this was an upset that can't be repeated, but rather a sign of things to come. Awesome improvement, and a perfect marriage of tools and style. One of the best testaments to coaching I've seen.

Good take.