Sign in to follow this  
boconnell

2X Champ Dean Heil

It's not that people are picking him to lose, they just don't want to see him win. He's arguably the most boring 2x champ there's ever been. I'd be okay giving him the title for 2018 now and asking him not to compete on behalf of the fans of the sport.

Kellen Russell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he moves up to 149, he'll still get his hand raised.  Unless he runs into that train in the blue and white uniform, then he'll get his arms raised...

out of their sockets.

On the plus side, he won't have to worry about rolling around on his back, he'll just BE on his back.  For 6 minutes or less.

Edited by 21guns

I never liked watching Kellen, either. Pretty unexciting guy. Uetake, too. Not saying those guys are in his class, just saying if you look at his career scores...he just moderately beat people. He could turn it on if he had to, but he was content beating guys 5-1, 6-1, stuff like that.

Class "B" personalities. What can you do about them?

So is Heil not seen as a team player or something? He definitely seems able to take guys down at will but seems like sometimes he just chooses not to.

Can't complain about the finals match though. He scored more points than Clark, Hall and Nickal and the same amount as Snyder and Cruz

The frustrating thing is, Heil has the arsenal to be a Hodge winner...he needs the mindset.

No he doesn't.

I think a strong case can be made that the Hodge race encourages bad wrestling. People are far, far too obsessed with bonus points. I hope Heil does makes a conscious choice to not go for the Hodge next year. Going for the Hodge would likely increase his fan base, but it would hurt his wrestling. He needs to improve within the style he has built himself, and not wrestle a foreign style (to him) to satisfy a ridiculous definition of "dominance". What's funny is that the likely Hodge finalists next year will be coached against wrestling that same style when they step up to the next level. And this has little to nothing to do with it being a different style, and nearly everything to do with wrestling a style that wins against the very best wrestlers in the nation and the world. At that level the "offense, offense, offense" you hear coming from the corner more often becomes "position, position, position". And this same emphasis on the latter would hold true if there were a world folkstyle championship.

I like both kids, but there is just as much "wrong" with Dean Heil's wrestling as there is Jason Nolf's. Actually, if anything, I think Heil's wrestling is a little less "wrong".

Dean Heil is the King of 141. For all of you who doubted and disbelieved in him, it's time to bow before your King and repent of your transgressions! Who's willing to humble themselves?

Why should things change now?

Back in high school in 2011 the 126 preseason rankings had Gulibon 1 followed in some order by Dance, Ashnault, and Jeske. Heil was further down. In the Ironman Heil beat Dance, Jeske, and then PINNED Gulibon in the finals. The following week's rankings had Gulibon retain his number 1 ranking based on his "body of work*" and because of a "fake pin" in the Ironman final.

The disrespect for Heil has been continuous. Now it's comedic.

*(Gulibon had done NOTHING in the summer--Ashnault had, at least, won the super 32)

Dean Heil is the King of 141. For all of you who doubted and disbelieved in him, it's time to bow before your King and repent of your transgressions! Who's willing to humble themselves?

I'm not one of the Heil haters, but having watched their Scuffle match and then DiCamillo wrestling better than he's ever wrestled all tournamrnt, I picked the upset. So I repent.

In my defense, I didn't think McKenna would make it far this year so I got that hard call right at 141 when many had him in the finals.

Why should things change now?

Back in high school in 2011 the 126 preseason rankings had Gulibon 1 followed in some order by Dance, Ashnault, and Jeske. Heil was further down. In the Ironman Heil beat Dance, Jeske, and then PINNED Gulibon in the finals. The following week's rankings had Gulibon retain his number 1 ranking based on his "body of work*" and because of a "fake pin" in the Ironman final.

The disrespect for Heil has been continuous. Now it's comedic.

*(Gulibon had done NOTHING in the summer--Ashnault had, at least, won the super 32)

I actually remember this tournament. This tournament convinced me that Heil would be a serious contender for a D1 national title. It was the first time I watched him wrestle.

Heil was discussed today at length on the trow and funky show. Both askren and rowlands agreed he is the most boring ncaa champ on the year and immediately dismissed him from any hodge talk.

I don't really disagree with that.  I think he's about the same level of entertaining as Cruz and Clark, and he's clearly ahead of them for the Hodge by the criteria (as well as Hall).  But yes, most of the NCAA champs are more offensive, score far more bonus points, and open up more.  I think Nickal is the most entertaining, followed by Snyder, Nolf, Retherford, Joseph, Cox, Hall, Heil, Cruz, Clark.  And I could see 2-6 and 8-10 shuffled for personal preference.  

That doesn't change that by every conceivable measure he is more offensive than Lavion Mayes.  

Jake Rosholt is pulling for him to win next year so he's no longer labeled "the worst 3x champ ever."

Heil is better than Rosholt was. He's only lost 1 match in the last two seasons. He has less career losses than Rosholt, despite having a 10-loss freshman season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heil is a terrific wrestler who found a style that works for him.  As an Ohio guy I'm proud of what he's accomplished.  Now, having said that, he's been at a very competitive weight class but there are no superstars like a Stieber or Retherford who'd simply blow through his defense (esp. Stieber) and finish their shots.  All he can do is wrestle the guys in front of him.  And he does it very successfully.  

It's not that people are picking him to lose, they just don't want to see him win. He's arguably the most boring 2x champ there's ever been. I'd be okay giving him the title for 2018 now and asking him not to compete on behalf of the fans of the sport.

So you never watched Jake Varner, huh?

Heil looks big for 141 and I hope he moves up to 149. We wont be talking about close matches he has won when he wrestles the Train....   

So we've reached the point that people are sick of picking against Heil in actual matchups, so we are artificially bumping him up to lose to guys?    

Heil started off as a 133 and doesn't appear to have any trouble making 141.  He is not particularly big and I'd be shocked if he's not back at 141.

So we've reached the point that people are sick of picking against Heil in actual matchups, so we are artificially bumping him up to lose to guys?    

Heil started off as a 133 and doesn't appear to have any trouble making 141.  He is not particularly big and I'd be shocked if he's not back at 141.

Considering he has two choices, either stay at 141 and be a 3x champ or go to 149 and get his arm torn off.  I'd expect him to lay off the Twinkies until late March of 2018.

He should just stay at 141.  There isn't much competition there and he'll continue to have success as a result.

There's lots of competition at 141.  It was one of the deepest weights this year.  But there's no monster under the bed like there is at 149.  

Considering he has two choices, either stay at 141 and be a 3x champ or go to 149 and get his arm torn off.  I'd expect him to lay off the Twinkies until late March of 2018.

I will say if he had the size to be a full grown 149 I think he'd wrestle Zain tough.  I think Heil is as good as anyone in the country on bottom, and I think that is where you have to start to even be competitive with Zain.  I do think Zain beats him on his feet.  Zain is an amazing finisher and Heil is way too comfortable letting guys to his legs.  If he was a full sized 149 I'd say 5-3 or 7-4 range with Heil scoring only escapes.