Sign in to follow this  
smittyfan

Great Coaching!

.. "career wins" can be misleading (not necessarily applying this to your list of coaches). There are a few current head coaches that design a soft schedule into their p.r./social media/season

record info in an effort to fudge the numbers- looks good on paper....

Maybe. If they gets more fans, then fine.

On side note, I was looking through Dale Thomas’ records. There’s one season that caught my eye- 1973. Dale Thomas and Oregon St were all over going against top tier teams while finishing 2nd in NCAA. It is said that the matches would regularly gain thousands in the attendance. So, he must know what he is doing. Maybe, the current coaches could do the similar to gain the thousands in attendance. Currently- PSU, Iowa, tOSU, and Oklahoma State regularly gains thousands in attendance.

5a77f953584cdd332c108af63232918f.jpg

Miller

Swenson

James

Denny

I think James is the only coach at the 4 year level to have 2   4x National Champions (Nimmo and Province).   He also has coached 6 champions at one National Championship.  

Just my take...many great coaches for sure, however, some of those stats would be revised (up or down) if 7th/8th placers are removed, tournament points are refigured to accommodate the bonus pts for TF, MD's, etc...The new scoring changed in 1985.  Yes, some of the comparisons are relative (active) but some of the numbers overlap different time periods, others are consistent with the same time periods...but Roderick, Gable, Thomas, Evans, Nichols, etc., coached back when there were approximately 180 or so D1 programs, (compared to 80 or so in recent years), they only AA'd 6 back then ('63 went from 4 to 6 places), the scoring for advancement was different too.. And for a couple of years in the 70's, if you lost, that winner had to make it to the finals in order for you to follow him up in consolation.  That eliminated a lot of potential placers which would change some of those stats as well. 

Nonetheless, the gold standard for me is Gable.  Roderick and Nichols would be close behind.  What Gable did during his coaching career almost defies explanation.  The dominance, the excitement, the style, and the popularity he bought to the sport benefitted everyone after him.  Roderick was exceptional too.  His concepts, strategies, and techniques are still being taught/used, successfully, to this day by coaches and wrestlers at virtually every level.

T-Rex...I too am done with NIKE...Never again!

Gable then Sanderson. Sanderson is a work in progress. Yeah those guys got recruits but Sanderson and where he has taken his guys is in Gable territory. The way those guys dominate is Gable's best teams territory. Every year same story, they can be taken. But are not. Gable's last year, always tough but not a done deal, and just worked that tournament. Sanderson has that same ability to peak. And.... he makes wrestling fun. His best guys don't tighten up, they love to wrestle. Less pressure when you just go out and do what you love. AKA the decent hvy at tOSU.

Edited by sgallan

Great topic.  Not much to add except I love to watch Cael Sanderson's wrestlers compete.  So often they seem to make the sport seem easier than it is with superior tactics and flawless technique.  PSU's wrestlers not only win but they make it look almost effortless.  

Great topic.  Not much to add except I love to watch Cael Sanderson's wrestlers compete.  So often they seem to make the sport seem easier than it is with superior tactics and flawless technique.  PSU's wrestlers not only win but they make it look almost effortless.  

Totally agree. They are very entertaining, and I guess they win sometimes too. Just wonderful for the sport. 

(Almost remind me of elite Russian wrestlers where they can explode, attack and score big points from almost anywhere. And win.)

Not sure JRob belongs on that list.

Absolutely JRob does - besides being the taskmaster behind the scene for Iowa’s success, the building of Minnesota's program is a key catalyst for the success the entire Big Ten enjoys today. He raised the bar, showing others the roadmap to competing with Iowa.