WrestleDoc

If I could make any rule changes.....

Nope, Nope, Nope

Only change I would make right now is structural, four "Conferences" with a fixed number of qualifiers. 

For those of you who thing that would make duals meaningless there is a way to not only make them matter but to make winning them critical. 

And one last thing, force refs to call both stalling aggressively and falls from neutral. 

Edited by Zebra

I dislike all of those proposed rules. The one they need to consider is non control near fall. Could prevent people from laying on their back to avoid points

Nope, you need control. They need to define control better and call neutral falls. Both would correct much of what I believe you are trying to correct.  

The Guilbon Heil match at the OSU PSU dual was control by any definition except the wrestling rule book. 

Edited by Zebra

I have some thoughts on this.

Eliminate riding time entirely. The 4 pt near fall is enough of an incentive to stay on top if you're good. Riding time is incentivizing boring mat wrestling, guys hanging onto legs, and reduces scoring.

Change the out of bounds to a stall call like freestyle. Scrambles that start in bounds don't count.

Develop a way for the refs to signal that they're going to award 2 in a scramble even though no change in position occurs (see Collica/McKenna).

Fix and clarify challenge rules. Refs need to let the wrestling progress before making a call. Similar to how refs in NFL will let a borderline fumble play out without blowing the whistle. Too often there is a quick 2 but the scramble isn't finished yet. The ref should have the ability to let the action continue, and take it upon himself to say, "This situation was really close, so I'm going to take a look on video without a challenge".

Also, coaches seem to have no idea when it's a good idea to challenge. You're never going to overturn a subjective call. Don't bother wasting a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....I would,

1) Bring the wrestlers back to neutral after 30 seconds of riding with no scoring

2) Award 3 points for a reversal instead of 2

3) Call double stalling if no points were scored during a period

Sorry UT I think all 3 of these proposed rules are awful and make no sense.

1. Riding is important in college wrestling so why put them back in their Feet?

2. If that's the case wrestlers would be in a more beneficial situation to allow others to take them down intentionally to go for a reversal.

3. Stalling should be called for lack of effort, not lack of results.

It sounds to me you basically want to change folks Tyler wrestling to freestyle...

I would never get rid of riding time in college - the bottom man has the potential to score by escaping and the escape is an important element of the sport.  More consistent application of the rules in riding situations, especially as it relates to stalling, is needed.  I think the top man has an obligation to try and turn the bottom man.  To that end, you don't "ride", you work for the fall or you should get banged for stalling.  If the bottom man makes it to his feet, the top man is obligated to return him to the mat (to work for the fall) - anything less is stalling.  the bottom man's job is to avoid being turned and he does that by escaping.  Anything less is stalling.  I think one good rule change would be that if one man blatantly tries to force a stalemate by not improving his position, bang him for stalling.

1. Challenge review rules need to be modified to take future action that occurred into account. If a wrestler scored what would be a reversal after the TD is called then it should stand vs putting the wrestler back underneath. That just seems obvious to me and I'm not sure how that isn't already the rule.

2. Refine this "push out" rule. The call is inconsistent (at best) with how it is currently called. Location of action needs to be put into the rules as well (if a guy hits a stand up near the oob line then gets driven out that shouldn't be stalling, etc).

3. Do something about the leg pass. Too many guys are rolling across their backs and laying there waiting for a stalemate. Initiate some kind of count (5 seconds?) and if the guy isn't off his back award 2 and start counting backs. That position is frustrating to watch as a fan.

4. If a wrestler is continuously building up to a 3-4 second leg count on top, shifts back up the the waist, then right back to a leg for a 3-4 second count that is stalling. They have tried to take the gray area out of the call but then refs are ONLY basing it off of that count. Stalling is still a huge problem in folkstyle wrestling today.

5. For conference and NCAA championship events I feel a third party official should be responsible for the review. Refs don't want to admit they are wrong or change a call. Somebody else needs to be given a say on these iffy situations.

6. Relook at scoring across the board. 4 seconds of swipes is four points which is often equal to 3 takedowns. That seems incredibly wonky to me, but maybe that's the direction NCAA wants folkstyle to go?

Call top man stalling.  Too many guys (Cox included) hang in the claw ride and split the crotch with absolutely zero attempts to score.  This seems like the very definition of stalling.

Honestly - this is a freestyle fan talking - I don't see any major changes needed for collegiate folkstyle (I like some of the tweaks Perry suggested).

The push out rule is working.

The roll through grab a leg/leg pass is not always a dead end. I saw lots of good scrambles leading to scores. The sport is doing what it does; adapting to a technique.

The one thing there was a lot of discussion on, Heil being pinned, appears to have been addressed internally as the officials were looking closely for defensive falls (Meredith) throughout the tournament.   

1. Remove riding, give top/bottom guy 30 seconds to score or they go back to nuetral, if they go out of bounds go back to nuetral

2. Start calling back points from nuetral without control. If someone is on their back for a 2 or 3 count it should be points

3. institute a freestyle pushout. If someone steps out of bounds it's a point, if a move is initiated in bounds or on the line and ends out of bounds let it play out

4. Incentive throwing by awarding a throw takedown with an additional point or 2

5. remove headgear and replace the singlet

1. Challenge review rules need to be modified to take future action that occurred into account. If a wrestler scored what would be a reversal after the TD is called then it should stand vs putting the wrestler back underneath. That just seems obvious to me and I'm not sure how that isn't already the rule.

2. Refine this "push out" rule. The call is inconsistent (at best) with how it is currently called. Location of action needs to be put into the rules as well (if a guy hits a stand up near the oob line then gets driven out that shouldn't be stalling, etc).

3. Do something about the leg pass. Too many guys are rolling across their backs and laying there waiting for a stalemate. Initiate some kind of count (5 seconds?) and if the guy isn't off his back award 2 and start counting backs. That position is frustrating to watch as a fan.

4. If a wrestler is continuously building up to a 3-4 second leg count on top, shifts back up the the waist, then right back to a leg for a 3-4 second count that is stalling. They have tried to take the gray area out of the call but then refs are ONLY basing it off of that count. Stalling is still a huge problem in folkstyle wrestling today.

5. For conference and NCAA championship events I feel a third party official should be responsible for the review. Refs don't want to admit they are wrong or change a call. Somebody else needs to be given a say on these iffy situations.

6. Relook at scoring across the board. 4 seconds of swipes is four points which is often equal to 3 takedowns. That seems incredibly wonky to me, but maybe that's the direction NCAA wants folkstyle to go?

I agree with all of these

Personally, I want to see both men back on their feet after 15 seconds on the mat, UNLESS nearfall is being awarded or was just awarded.

If it has to stay the way it is, NO riding time without nearfall points being awarded.

That said, go to locking hands on the top so we can see more scoring.

Feet to back maneuvers worth four

Personally, I want to see both men back on their feet after 15 seconds on the mat, UNLESS nearfall is being awarded or was just awarded.

If it has to stay the way it is, NO riding time without nearfall points being awarded.

Sorry in other words.. change NCAA to international.

I like your idea of counting riding time as is. Let me make sure I am understanding correctly... If at the end of the match, a wrestler has amassed over a minute of riding time but no nearfall points, then he will not be awarded that extra point?  I could get behind that.

If a person does not have "control" why would he deserve nearfall points?

Maybe change the definition of control.

Or just change to freestyle. Most of the time, riding time is inaccurate anyways.

I like your idea of counting riding time as is. Let me make sure I am understanding correctly... If at the end of the match, a wrestler has amassed over a minute of riding time but no nearfall points, then he will not be awarded that extra point?  I could get behind that.

As Ed McMahon would have said, "You are CORRECT, sir!"

Sorry in other words.. change NCAA to international.

In my mind, yes, that would be ideal.

However, with so few feet to back maneuvers, why not further reward the rare occasion when someone forces his opponent directly from feet to danger? That might encourage more risk being taken by collegiate wrestlers, which could result in higher scoring matches. The NCAA loves a good, high scoring match that can be featured on SportsCenter.

In most cases, building riding time is a joke (Zain Retherford excluded). Get back to more scoring by where it happens most, on the feet. No escape point is rewarded, so the offensive wrestler loses little to nothing and goes back to where he just scored.

No Tech Fall - you wrestle til you pin the opponent or the match ends. You get Major or Technical Superiority points, but you wrestle if you can't get a pin.

Five AA's rather than Eight.

Nine minute match.

I don't mind riding time or the riding time point. Would be find with putting the wrestlers on a re-start after one minute of riding, rather than on their feet.

After the first period one of them takes Down, no one does the 'on their feet' choice. You don't want to ride, give up a point.

No Tech Fall - you wrestle til you pin the opponent or the match ends. You get Major or Technical Superiority points, but you wrestle if you can't get a pin.

Five AA's rather than Eight.

Nine minute match.

I don't mind riding time or the riding time point. Would be find with putting the wrestlers on a re-start after one minute of riding, rather than on their feet.

After the first period one of them takes Down, no one does the 'on their feet' choice. You don't want to ride, give up a point.

There is a reason for tech falls. Wisconsin among others were doing fifty point matches and still only going for snag singles