Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Iows Style - and now Penn State Style?

Remember when "Iowa Style" was the big deal and credit goes to Dan Gable for it. Keep pushing and beating hell out of the opponent til you can pin him - and they OWN the third period. Backing up is for everyone else because Iowa goes through them!

Penn State style? Not quite sure but seems more technical superiority coupled with the attitude they will come out on top no matter what.

Grinders vs Technique?

I think the current Penn State style combines the best of both styles.  They are highly technical but also set a pace that is hard for anyone to match.  It is a great style to watch and their competition is going to have to train to match that pace.  

The current Penn State style features both great technique/position and a very high pace that tends to wear opponents out.  It is a great style of wrestling to watch.  It is the style their coach used while competing and passed down to D Taylor.  PSU's competition are going to have to step up and train to match that pace. 

"PSU style" kind of reminds me of the zone read offense in football - like instead of executing sequences of set plays (attacks, positions) from a playbook, you have quarterbacks (wrestlers) who learn to quickly read what a defense is throwing at them and assess the pass, handoff & run (scramble) options and make a real-time decision as the play unfolds. Add pace, athleticism and confidence, and it's kind of a great system. At least until others catch on and emulate or learn to defend it, like what happened to Rich Rod at Michigan.

The Gable Iowa style was relentless attacking and out-conditioning the opponent. I'm not quite sure how to describe Penn. St. style, but it's not exactly that.

I'm amazed at how Retherford, Nolf and Nickal always finish their shots when the opponent does that "reach over and grab the waist/feet" position. Everyone else seems to get stuck in a stalemate from this position, but the Penn. St. guys somehow have it figured out.

Question about Cael - if he's a Mormon, when did he do his 2 year mission? Sorry - not up on my Cael religious history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he didn't do one. not sure on the particulars or why some Mormon kids don't, but he did not. 

I this PSU style stuff is funny. Fact is Penn State now has the type of guys that are talented in so many ways. Did the PSU style work for their 133 pounder? As long as Cael and company can recruit the most gifted wrestlers in the country, the PSU style will work.

Footnote: Cael and staff treat every athlete in their program respectfully. He has established a positive vision for the program. That is the Penn State way.

"PSU style" kind of reminds me of the zone read offense in football - like instead of executing sequences of set plays (attacks, positions) from a playbook, you have quarterbacks (wrestlers) who learn to quickly read what a defense is throwing at them and assess the pass, handoff & run (scramble) options and make a real-time decision as the play unfolds. Add pace, athleticism and confidence, and it's kind of a great system. At least until others catch on and emulate or learn to defend it, like what happened to Rich Rod at Michigan.

Rich Rodriguez never won 6 National Championships in 7 years.  

Your comment is absurd.  Keep hating.

You know that the reason why PSU is winning so much is because they go out to wrestle and they are loose and NOT nervous, so it's not really God or Jesus that helps PSU win it the hard work and dedication plus the have fun while doing it, and when you wrestle tight and nervous you don't do as well as if you wrestled loose and not nervous.

It's kinda crazy when some people tell Christians they need to be more tolerant of others and then the same people will not tolerate a simple mention of Jesus in an interview.

On a wrestling related note, I do believe Cael is recruiting these types of kids... And it's working! Regardless of what you believe or don't believe religiously, having faith in something bigger than you is a big advantage in competition. It helps these guys to open up and have that "just have fun" mentality because they understand they don't have full control.

It's really not God or Jesus?? It's hard work after all? You don't say.

It's great coaching, great recruiting, great development, and great philosophy:  Have fun, score points, wrestle free.

It's what Cael Sanderson and his Penn State Nittany Lions are all about, and why they are the dominant dynasty in college wrestling.  Penn State works hard, but has fun.  It's NOT all hard work, it's wrestling free on the mat.  It's why Penn State shines in the clutch.

It's kinda crazy when some people tell Christians they need to be more tolerant of others and then the same people will not tolerate a simple mention of Jesus in an interview.

On a wrestling related note, I do believe Cael is recruiting these types of kids... And it's working! Regardless of what you believe or don't believe religiously, having faith in something bigger than you is a big advantage in competition. It helps these guys to open up and have that "just have fun" mentality because they understand they don't have full control.

Cael and the staff look for a certain kind of guy:  They know it when they see it.  This is not an accident.

hopefully Iowa style dies in the new Penn state era. It's boring to watch and miserable to train. Gives our sport a bad rep and makes average HS kids not want to go our for teams after they see how miserable the kids recruiting them are.

Edited by newyorkwrestler

Rich Rodriguez never won 6 National Championships in 7 years.  

Your comment is absurd.  Keep hating.

What a weird comment - how did you possibly arrive at "hate"? Lmao

Zoom out a little bit and try to recognize the compliment to "PSU style". See, Rich Rod developed and installed a couple of offensive innovations that shredded opposing defenses and totally changed both the way the sport is played and how kids learn to play the game.  Sound familiar? 

As a result it's common for QBs today to develop a dual-threat skillset and learn some variant of RR's system as part of their basic offensive arsenal. Likewise, defensive coordinators have been forced to create counter-schemes & techniques like mesh-point disruptions to slow down these attacks and take some pressure off of defenses. 

The caveat I mentioned at the end is that these game-changing innovations aren't static and coaches obviously need to keep advancing & evolving their techniques.  Rich Rod lost his edge because defenses have caught up and can now gameplan for the zone read.  Iowa Style has also lost a bit of luster because strength, conditioning and employing constant pressure are now common attributes & skills among elite wrestlers.  So of course PSU can't rest on its laurels while other programs learn to emulate and overcome their style.  How is that "hating"?

Remember when "Iowa Style" was the big deal and credit goes to Dan Gable for it. Keep pushing and beating hell out of the opponent til you can pin him - and they OWN the third period. Backing up is for everyone else because Iowa goes through them!

Penn State style? Not quite sure but seems more technical superiority coupled with the attitude they will come out on top no matter what.

Grinders vs Technique?

It's more of a philosophy than a style. Penn State guys seem to always want more points and it's fun to watch. If a PSU guy is up by 5 with 20 seconds left, he's going after the major, up by 12 he wants the tech and they are always looking for a fall. There is a huge element of getting every point you can for the team, but even when team the team competition is wrapped up or irrelevant , PSU will continue rack up the points. It's good for the sport. For too many years the " iowa " style degenerated into two meat heads ear to ear, both stalling, neither willing to risk doing anything, basically counting on a stand up for their entire offense as the fans were treated to one 2-1 or similar score after another. What's coming out of PSU is helping the entire sport as other coaches take note. Hard not to be a fan of Cael and PSU.

What a weird comment - how did you possibly arrive at "hate"? Lmao

Zoom out a little bit and try to recognize the compliment to "PSU style". See, Rich Rod developed and installed a couple of offensive innovations that shredded opposing defenses and totally changed both the way the sport is played and how kids learn to play the game. Sound familiar?

As a result it's common for QBs today to develop a dual-threat skillset and learn some variant of RR's system as part of their basic offensive arsenal. Likewise, defensive coordinators have been forced to create counter-schemes & techniques like mesh-point disruptions to slow down these attacks and take some pressure off of defenses.

The caveat I mentioned at the end is that these game-changing innovations aren't static and coaches obviously need to keep advancing & evolving their techniques. Rich Rod lost his edge because defenses have caught up and can now gameplan for the zone read. Iowa Style has also lost a bit of luster because strength, conditioning and employing constant pressure are now common attributes & skills among elite wrestlers. So of course PSU can't rest on its laurels while other programs learn to emulate and overcome their style. How is that "hating"?

Somebody has an opinion!

I'll double check next I talk to Him, but I'm guessing God has more to worry about than who wins college wrestling matches.  If after a victory a young man wants to thank God, mom and dad, coaches, etc., may God bless him.  Save full-length sermons for the pulpit or a personal/dedicated/private website.

Regarding the original post, PSU has a dynamic, wide open technical style that makes college wrestling exciting and very fan friendly. PSU can attack and score at all levels in neutral (throws and leg attacks) and in all positions, emphasizing putting people on their backs when on top and not just riding/chewing up clock/accumulating riding time. The days of push, shove, make mean faces has been replaced; it served its purpose in its time, but it doesn't win in the face of great technique, positioning, and superb conditioning.  

I like this new era.  I hope it continues to thrive.

There is variety among the "Penn State style". Retherford, Nolf and Nickal represent a high energy, constant attack style that seems focused on dominating the opponent. Joseph and Hall seem to be more focused on position and control, with a methodical approach to their style...but with a more explosive nature. The first 3 are the epitome of folk style wrestling. Hall and Joseph seem to better represent an international style. Hard to label it as just one style.