Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Spencer Lee to Iowa -- Mistake IMO

Before this season, I would have said Spencer Lee is easily the #1 high school recruit in the country and perhaps the best high school wrestler I have seen in the last 20 years. 

However, after the Ironman, it was clear that others (Madrigal, Silva) at 126 were competitive and that Lee wasn't as dominant as he had been previously.  He's also just had his second major injury in high school and it's clear that he'll be little for 125 in college.

Not quite sure how I feel about his prospects going forward.  However, I think Iowa is as good of a choice as any for his future success.       

Edited by Frank_Rizzo

Not true. Every Iowa fan knows that Lee will be redshirting next year and THEN will win 4 Individual National Championships along with 4 Team Championships.

That too. Anything less than 5 straight titles and an Olympic Gold will be a disappointment to all true Iowa fans.

Not true.  Every Iowa fan knows that Lee will be redshirting next year and THEN will win 4 Individual National Championships along with 4 Team Championships.

Oh my. Maybe a little humor backing the Hawks ? So, moving on here.  I read (on another forum) that there is a team out there with a whole bunch of hammers  comin' back this next season.

Is that accurate info ?

A college professor was heard (again-already)  talking bout BPs. That same professor is always talking BPs. Said team also-as well-and additionally has 125 covered for the big stage. 

Just thought that I could throw in some humor tooo.

Note: did you type out 4 team championships ?

Honestly this statement is actually true.. with all the hype surrounding this kid anything less than a perfect 4 years with 4 titles will be considered a disappointment.

Cael was a 4 timer who became a 4 timer

Steiber was a 4 timer who became a 4 timer

Dake and Smith I do not recall their number of high school state titles.

Would Lee be the first 3 timer to become a 4 timer in college ?  

I'm with those reasonable board members not expecting 4 titles out of Lee.    I believe he's a championship level talent, that's not a question.    He certainly is good enough to win the tournament.    But will he?   Will he win multiple titles?    Will he win all of them?    

Given Lee's recent injuries

his HS results above 120 lbs

and the amount of good fortune required to win it 4 times consecutively, I just cannot see him doing it.        I'll put the over/under at 2.   I think that's reasonable in order to generate interest from both sides.    

I'm with those reasonable board members not expecting 4 titles out of Lee. I believe he's a championship level talent, that's not a question. He certainly is good enough to win the tournament. But will he? Will he win multiple titles? Will he win all of them?

Given Lee's recent injuries

his HS results above 120 lbs

and the amount of good fortune required to win it 4 times consecutively, I just cannot see him doing it. I'll put the over/under at 2. I think that's reasonable in order to generate interest from both sides.

The mythical farmer finally makes a reasonable post. Good job.

I will take the over st 4 after a redshirt to fully recover and add size. Sorry, Bigtenfanboy, I will NOT be disappointed if he doesn't win 4 or even 3, though.

If Lee does not destroy at least two worlds and an asteroid I will be disappointed. As will Lex Luther.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee already has three world titles. All age group, sure, but how hard can ncaa's be for Spencer. Real Iowa fans should expect him to win every match by bonus.

pretty sure Cael won 4 in HS and posted above that Dake won 2.

I must have been mistaken.

I thought I read somewhere that Cael won 3 HS state titiles, but according to his website it says he won 4.

I think I got mixed up with his 3 HS losses. Just out of curiosity.. I wonder who they were??

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I must have been mistaken.

I thought I read somewhere that Cael won 3 HS state titiles, but according to his website it says he won 4.

I think I got mixed up with his 3 HS losses. Just out of curiosity.. I wonder who they were??

think I've read that one was to future Iowa St 'mate Heskett. At Reno tourney? Maybe someone else can verify.  

I swear I thought I read somewhere that Cael won 3 HS state titles. Now I'm confused. Can someone please confirm?

theOhioState was having a bit of fun (I think)...Cael won 3...and he also won 4. Get it...3 on his way to 4.

It's 4 for total HS state titles. 

and maybe that poster can tell me whether I was right on Heskett (Ohio HS wrestler) beating Cael in HS.

Yes, Cael won 4 Utah HS titles for Wasatch HS where his father was Coach.

Joe Heskett beat him at the Reno tournament.

Going to College Heskett was more highly thought of than Cael and if you had asked then who would be a 4 time NCAA champion most would have said Joe Heskett. Both excellent wrestlers and probably even better, both top quality people.

On Lee, hope he does well. Speculation now before he is even in College is fun. Time to get serious about whether he can do 4 in a row is after he has three. Still remember the interview with Banach about being a 4 Timer before he won his Third - and he went on the mat and was nailed by Mark Schultz.

So many things can happen that it makes Cael Sanderson's record even more amazing. No injury defaults(see Suriano here). No illness. No Larry Owings coming out of the woodwork. Just wish 4 years of Varsity competition had been available to guys like Dan Hodge and Yojo Uetake. If it had always been 4 years eligibility I think we would have at least Three perfect records for the whole Four years.

Really hope Lee does well. "Iowa Style" and Brands coaching is something we all see but T&T are good enough to build on a kids talents and not force them into a style not suited to them. They will help build him up and shore up the areas in question now.

Edited by WillieBoy

I believe one of Cael's HS losses was to David Kjelgaard of Iowa, who went to Iowa State but his career was wrecked by knee injuries.

Cael had Three losses in HS, one as a RedShirt freshman in College and none as a Varsity Wrestler in College.

Dan Gable had no losses in HS, One his final match in College.

While in College both did wrestle Freestyle. Who beat Dan Gable Six times in Freestyle?

Edited by WillieBoy

Cael had Three losses in HS, one as a RedShirt freshman in Collage and none as a Varsity Wrestler in College.

Dan Gable had no losses in HS, One his final match in College.

While in College both did wrestle Freestyle. Who beat Dan Gable FIVE times in Freestyle?

Bobby Douglas right?