NJDan

Didn't like seeing I-Mar go down but... amazing

Question on IMar... obviously he is a great wrestler but compared to his high end peers how good of a technical wrestler is he?  To my more untrained eye it looks like he relies a lot more on brute strength than others do to succeed. When his opponent can match his strength it seems like his matches are much closer.  Am I imagining this or is he not quite as good technically as one would expect for someone with his accomplishments?

Question on IMar... obviously he is a great wrestler but compared to his high end peers how good of a technical wrestler is he? To my more untrained eye it looks like he relies a lot more on brute strength than others do to succeed. When his opponent can match his strength it seems like his matches are much closer. Am I imagining this or is he not quite as good technically as one would expect for someone with his accomplishments?

Agree

Some wrestlers I coached were having a debate about IMar and Zain on Friday. I told them that IMar uses his goon strength to work in good technique to score. By contrast, Zain uses great technique to set up his punishing offense on top.

Reminds me of this iconic shot by Neil Leifer. But Rotundo's might be better.

150522_SNUT_AliListon-Color.jpg.CROP.ori

Nah, this is iconic. The best/worst part of this story is that the photographer was an assistant to the lead photographer who is actually in the photo across the ring; I think he's the guy peeping between Ali's legs at his assistant. Imagine being the boss and your assistant gets one of the most iconic sports photos of all time?! Ouch, that has got to sting. 

Question on IMar... obviously he is a great wrestler but compared to his high end peers how good of a technical wrestler is he?  To my more untrained eye it looks like he relies a lot more on brute strength than others do to succeed. When his opponent can match his strength it seems like his matches are much closer.  Am I imagining this or is he not quite as good technically as one would expect for someone with his accomplishments?

I have been saying the same thing for 2 years. truthfully I am surprised he made to NCAA finals with out a loss this year. I thought the move to 165 he would meet alot more wrestlers that could match his strength.

Great photo. I didn't have a rooting interest but it seemed as if IMar panicked and took an unnecessary risk with so much time remaining, and only down by a point.

I was lucky enough to upgrade my seats for the finals..I was on the floor 2 rows back..Imar was shot after Joseph took him down at the end of the second, you could see it in his eyes. I believe he thought he had to go big he wasnt going to have enough gas for 2 mins at Joseph pace...IMOP