Sign in to follow this  
treep2000

Between now and 2020... USA Wrestling

Watching the NCAA's just got me thinking about Team USA, and how we may be shaping up over the next few years.  Think of this (yes... weight classes subject to change, but...):

I'm defining "familiar faces" as those that have graduated college, and "new faces" as those that are younger:

57kg:  Trend - Upward

A.) Familiar faces:  Ramos, Graff, Waters, etc.  Lots of international experience, but have never made a splash.

B.) "New" faces:  Tomasello; Gilman, Fix, Lee, etc..  In particular, nice age-level experience, and CHAMPIONSHIPS and MEDALS.  This is GOOD news for 57kg.

61kg:  Trend - Flat, but near the Top

A.) Familiar:  Stieber.  Stopping here... because he is the reigning WC.

B.) "New" faces:  Fix.  Doesn't feel "deep" per se, but, if Stieber can maintain 61kg, we're in for some good WC performances year after year

65kg:  Trend - Upward

A.) Familiar:  Molinaro, H. Stieber, Futrell, Russell.  Solid guys.  Molinaro is Molinaro.

B.) New faces:  Retherford, Yianni.  Retherford and Yianni may be the new faces of 65kg going forward.  Retherford keeps improving, and he doesn't really wrestling FS (YET).  Yianni is a FS machine at age-level, with Championships to boot.

70kg:  Trend - Upward

A.) Familiar:  Green, Oliver, A. Hall (yes, a world level medal is there)

B.) New:  NOLF!  IMART!.  Imagine if you will, for just a second, for when that time comes that Nolf says to himself... "I think I'm actually going to try FS now...".  Oh good lord...

74kg:  Trend - Flat, but near the Top

A.) Familiar:  Burroughs, Dake, Howe

B.) New:  Mark "Freaking" Hall.  Especially after NCAA's, we can visibly see that Mark Hall is a 165 guy wrestling 174.  74kg will be his weight class, and his FS skills and experience overshadow his folkstyle.  This WILL be interesting over the next few years.

86kg:  Trend - Flat, but near the Top

A.) Familiar:  Cox, Taylor.  Taylor's dominance at World Cup propels our offering in the 86kg to even higher level expectations. 

B.) New:  Nickal, Valencia, Dean?.  Both Valencia and Nickal provide deeper international experience, and are just getting started per se.  Dean, he has all the tools.

97kg:  Trend - Flat, but near the Top

A.) Familiar:  Snyder.  'nuff said.

B.) New:  Pfarr?  Kasper?  Kollin Moore?  There are guys here, that... if they want a shot at Snyder, could be a good workout partner for him.  If Snyder gets injured, I'll take Kollin Moore in a heartbeat to help fill the spot.

125kg:  Trend - Flat, but... maybe upward?

A.)  Familiar:  Rey, Coon (come back to FS!), Gwiz, Medbery

B.) New:  Gable Steveson (world age level medals to boot)

All in all, and I KNOW I missed a BUNCH of data points, wrestlers, and general observations, BUT, the next "generation" is beginning to emerge, and they are coming with a LOT of international age-level hardware.  This is ONLY good news for Team USA!

I dig your enthusiasm, but you are a wee bit optimistic. I might get there once our men's freestyle wins 4+ medals at a World Championships.

The whole point of my post was to generate the "wee bit o' optimism".  And... given the amount of age-level world medals coming through the ranks, my HOPE is that the trend continues.  We haven't had this level of success at age-level before, and I believe it could carry forward to the Sr. circuit.

57 Lizak, Cruz, Mega, Lee, Fix. 61 - Logan and FIx, 65 - Molinaro forever! maybe Logan competes at 65 too, 70 Green, 74 JB forever, 86 Taylor and Cox, 97 Snyder, 125 Rey. That's all. All Americans good number one wrestlers

Russia what we have - 57 Budruduino, Gebekov, Uguev, Rashidov, Ponamarev, Kuular. 61 - Rashidov, Chakaev, Bogomoev, Musukaev. 65 - Bekbulatov, Ramonov, Kurbanaliev, Nukhadiev, Imam Adzhiev, 70 Kasumov, Kurbanlaiev, Zaurbek Sidakov, Radik Valiev, Magomedkhabib Kadimagomedov, Magomedrasul Gazmagomedov, Khetag Tsabolov. 74 - Geduev, Suynchev, Sanakoev and Gadzhimagomedov. 86 Kudiya, Musalaliev, Kurugliev, Sadulaev. 97 - Boltukaev, Rasul Magomedov, Baytsaev, Adlan Ibragimov. 125 Magomedmin Dibirov, Anzor Khizriev, Baldan Tsyzhipov. 

Of courese Russian reserve composition is infinite, a new wrestlers every years! USA doesn't have it because all wrestlers compete in folkstyle, them don't intresting compete in freestyle 

We see optimism every year with new NCAA champions coming onto the scene. Single and multi time champs both.

We get the high performing wrestlers in International competition when we get them. Burroughs, Snyder, Steiber and Cox are it for now. Doing well in other tournaments is nice but when we hit World Championship events we get to go head to head with the top guys from all over. Then we see just how good our guys are.

With Ten weights coming it will be even nicer but other nations will be there as well.

More international tournaments are necessary. Yarygin rather than second banana in warmer places. Our whole team should be at Yarygin every year so we get a better handle on how they look against the big boys. Looking good in Paris isn't enough.

It appears our Coaches are looking to hit more of the big competition and build on the success we see now. Hope so as it can only help our athletes.

I would say that there is a little room for optimism, in that we have all these young stars that seem to be popping up all over the place and on different levels, and hopefully with the increased number of stars it translates to medals and titles at the World's and Olympics.

Snyder has always been a freestyler who just happens to wrestle a little folk.

But Folk still hasn't held him back. He won Senior Worlds after a full season of folkstyle.

The year before he got a silver at Junior Worlds after concentrating on Freestyle

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

But Folk still hasn't held him back. He won Senior Worlds after a full season of folkstyle.

The year before he got a silver at Junior Worlds after concentrating on Freestyle

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

He doesn't train for folkstyle during the NCAA season.

Snyder, like Cox has world class technique. They shoot good low attacks with high percentage finishes. They both seemingly get better as the competition rises. Cox and Snyder training together would be unreal.

Neither uses the leg pass/funk roll either. The leg pass counter is a technique killer for freestyle. See Burroughs and Green. Leg pass no way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

I think the big weights to fill for the US is 57, 65 and 125. Hopefully Zain is ready to be our guy at 65 kilos (otherwise Molinaro has proven to contend as well).

I just don't see Zain as being any more competitive than Molinaro on the international level.  I hope that I'm wrong, but his style isn't dynamic at all.  It's great for manhandling 18-23 year old NCAA athletes, but when the strength is equalized at the international level, I think the results won't be there.  Kind of like how we saw Pico absolutely dominate him time and time again. A lot is going to change though when we switch to 10 weights...There will be a very big dilution effect both in the U.S. and internationally.  

Looks like Abdul has been watching some folkstyle lately

open u small secret, Russians watch all wrestling tournament, we can will see an olympic hopeful from NCAA finals, this guys are very tough, an not underestimate them. We respect them, Iranians respect them 

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin