Sign in to follow this  
maccky

David Taylor vs Jason Nolf (Folkstyle)

As great as David Taylor was at Penn State 157-165 will Nolf be considered better after he is finished ? I know its early but what he has done his first two years giving Imar his first lost last year by pin and just dominating everyone this year I don't see anyone getting close to him . Not trying to take nothing away from Taylor because I know he is doing some great things at freestyle now but I just think Nolf is slightly better after 2 years at Penn State .    

I think DT was a better technical wrestler but Nolf has the better thank and more technical variety. The problem with the comparison is that Nolf crushed a watered down weight class this year and will not face anyone near the caliber of Kyle Dake until he leaves college. It's tough to say how well one guy would do against another using strictly records. I would put my money on DT, though but Nolf is close and obviously very, very good.

I'd take Taylor all day.  And I think Nolf is awesome.  But Nolf leaves openings and holes because he knows how much better he is and these guys don't put any fear in him.  So he creates action for action's sake and gives up points that he knows he will more than overcome.  But it's a bit of an artificial style in that he can't wrestle the elite like that.  Taylor was good at getting back points from everywhere, that I think Nolf could not wrestle like Nolf against him.  We'd get the Nolf who wrestled Imar the last two times.  A still great wrestler who is more patient and technical but less dangerous.  

Edited by boconnell

That, and DT is a much better countereeretler than Nolf. Half or more of Nolf's attempts would end with a DT score.

I totally agree with you.  I was unclear when I said turner.  I should have been clear I was talking about his ability to turn guys from neutral and top.  I also think Nickal would beat Nolf if they were similar sized.

Nolf is more athletic, and has a wider range of attacks in neutral. Taylor was more technical, more disciplined and would probably ride Nolf and perhaps score back points. Gas tank is even. It would be a great match. Taylor had 2 losses to Dake. Nolf has 2 losses to Martinez. I can't see Martinez beating Dake. Slight edge to Taylor, but that could change.